Do i have aspergers or a personality disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

bobe25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2012, 7:28 am

I was previously diagnosed as having very mild asperger's.But since then various professionals (teachers,educational physcologists and physciatrists)stated they they don't think I have it at all,which is why I am going for a reassessment .My behaviour does not correlate with aaspergers ,and I appreciate that it is a wide spectrum.I can make eye contact,I can understand and respond to social cues,understand abstract concepts,I have no opposition to change,routines don't bother me and most importantly I can sosocializeowever I am very violent and aggressive especially towards my parents.
However when i was younger from around 2 to 9,my sister lived with me and had cliniucal dpdepressions a result of which caused her many violent episodes towards to my parents and well as self harming in front of me.Could this have affected me in any way?Also when i was at primary school,the time of my inital assessment I was very badly behaved which led to the label of Aspergers,however various teachers remarked to my parents "Is anything wrong at home?".Possibly giving an indication.
Whilst we're on the topic of school,all my gcse results were consistent which I believe is very rare in Asperger's children.

Thanks in advance.
xxx

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:32 am

What makes them think you have a personality disorder? I mean, do you fit the criteria for one?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:39 am

You could have both, AS doesn't make you immune from anything.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

bobe25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2012, 8:05 am

Ganondox wrote:

But based on my symptons do I have aspergers?

bobe25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2012, 8:06 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
What makes them think you have a personality disorder? I mean, do you fit the criteria for one?

my physciatrist thinks i have a personality disorder as opposed to aspergers

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 8:11 am

bobe25 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

You really don't give enough information either way. You can be an aspie and have good eye contact, respond to social ques, understand abstract concepts, and be flexible with routine, but you need to have something that's inline with the criteria. Also, depression and aggression do not make AS, there is nothing here that would suggest AS, but again I do not have enough information either way.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

bobe25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2012, 8:15 am

Ganondox wrote:
bobe25 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

You really don't give enough information either way. You can be an aspie and have good eye contact, respond to social ques, understand abstract concepts, and be flexible with routine, but you need to have something that's inline with the criteria. Also, depression and aggression do not make AS, there is nothing here that would suggest AS, but again I do not have enough information either way.

could my disturbed childhood have aaffected me?
Moreover the personality disorder is histronic which fits me perfectly

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 8:16 am

Here is what is listed on the documentation of my SSDI hearing:

mood disorder, not otherwise specified;
personality disorder, not otherwise specified;
generalized anxiety disorder (20 CFR 404.1520(c) and 416.920(c))

There are people who say I do not have AS/HFA, but it is almost impossible for me to get an actual diagnosis at 62, and nothing else seems to make sense to me.

Here at WrongPlanet is where I sorted things out to my own satisfaction, and maybe you can do the same.

bobe25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2012, 8:18 am

leejosepho wrote:
Here is what is listed on the documentation of my SSDI hearing:

mood disorder, not otherwise specified;
personality disorder, not otherwise specified;
generalized anxiety disorder (20 CFR 404.1520(c) and 416.920(c))

There are people who say I do not have AS/HFA, but it is almost impossible for me to get an actual diagnosis at 62, and nothing else seems to make sense to me.

Here at WrongPlanet is where I sorted things out to my own satisfaction, and maybe you can do the same.

But im only 16,and i can socilaise with NTs as well

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2012, 10:22 am

Does it really matter if you have AS or histrionic personality disorder? I think the only thing that matters is finding ways to cope and self-awareness. Part of coping is not only dealing with emotional triggers, but also identifying them too. However, some of the symptoms of histrionic seem like a normal 16 yr old to me trying to fit in with peers, rebelling again authority figures, becoming sexual, and identity issues (at least to me). I think you should find ways to deal with some of your problems, but I wouldn't place a lot of weight on whether or not you have a personality disorder since you are very young.

bobe25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2012, 1:14 pm

Mego wrote:
Does it really matter if you have AS or histrionic personality disorder? I think the only thing that matters is finding ways to cope and self-awareness. Part of coping is not only dealing with emotional triggers, but also identifying them too. However, some of the symptoms of histrionic seem like a normal 16 yr old to me trying to fit in with peers, rebelling again authority figures, becoming sexual, and identity issues (at least to me). I think you should find ways to deal with some of your problems, but I wouldn't place a lot of weight on whether or not you have a personality disorder since you are very young.

I agree but do u think i have asperger's after all physchologists disagreed with the diagnosis not long after I got it