When someone says they like what you are wearing.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

I just look at what they're admiring and say ''thanks''. You don't have to give them a compliment back if you don't want to.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:53 am

I was chatting with my friend yesterday who said in the States, it might be rude not to compliment back. So it could be different in different cultures. My advice came from Australia, so it might not be accurate for you!

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 12:21 am

I've read many times throughout the years it's best to just say "thank you". I think sometimes complimenting someone back can seem insincere (although I've done that).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 3:34 am

Complements can create problems.

There are people who are insulted if someone "beneath" them complements them. I've seen this a number of times when a young man who is not seen as cool or being in the in-crowd complements a really hot woman their age. The woman doesn't see it as a complement but as a sexist come-on from someone they wouldn't be caught dead with and they generally make their disdain for the person who gave them the complement clearly obvious. Complementing them only gives them reason to show you they think you are a worm.

Don't be the short, fat kid who complements the head cheerleader unless the head cheerleader is already a friend.

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2012, 4:01 am

eric76 wrote:

There are people who are insulted if someone "beneath" them complements them. I've seen this a number of times when a young man who is not seen as cool or being in the in-crowd complements a really hot woman their age. The woman doesn't see it as a complement but as a sexist come-on from someone they wouldn't be caught dead with and they generally make their disdain for the person who gave them the complement clearly obvious. Complementing them only gives them reason to show you they think you are a worm.

Don't be the short, fat kid who complements the head cheerleader unless the head cheerleader is already a friend.

I wouldn't think this would be a problem if they had complimented you first?

I usually just say "oh, thanks", and compliment them back if I can think of something honest to say, otherwise I don't. Nobody's gotten angry at me about it yet, at least.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 4:39 pm

eric76 wrote:

This made my laugh, oh my.

I'm like those who have said they just say 'thank you'. I've always found it curious that other people notice when I'm wearing a new shirt or trousers or especially shoes, and immediately compliment me on them. I never notice when other people are wearing new things. I usually don't compliment others on clothes, not even after they've complimented me.
I tend to have this 'geek chic' air about me; not TOO stylish, but people generally like what I'm wearing- although I myself am nonchalant about the clothes I pick. I also sometimes go consciously eclectic, like combining coloured-striped tees with a striped dress shirt of a different colour, or combining bright turqoise with subdued brown. I usually don't get compliments on that, though.