Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Stitch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2006, 9:26 am

Hi there. I'm a bit shy about posting here, but I'll give it a try.

I've been seeing a shrink for depression and social anxiety for a couple of weeks. My own diagnosis is asperger, but I'm no expert, so I'm waiting to see what she comes up with on her own.

Anway, last time I had a weird experience. She asked me to draw a line in any shape and put down the important events in my life on this line, along with an emotion. I knew I was supposed to draw a nice, wavy line to make myself seem wonderful and creative, but all I could do was a straight line. I put down everything I could think of, but on the way home I realized I had forgotten about my kids... I have three children that I love more than anything in the world, and I'm extremely surprised that I could forget about them. The only reason I can think of is that she asked about me, not them, and I didn't happen to connect the two... Is this an example of literal thinking, or just being stupidly forgetful? :p I couldn't do any emotions beyond happy and sad either, btw.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 9:48 am

Stitch wrote:
Hi there. I'm a bit shy about posting here, but I'll give it a try.

I've been seeing a shrink for depression and social anxiety for a couple of weeks. My own diagnosis is asperger, but I'm no expert, so I'm waiting to see what she comes up with on her own.

Anway, last time I had a weird experience. She asked me to draw a line in any shape and put down the important events in my life on this line, along with an emotion. I knew I was supposed to draw a nice, wavy line to make myself seem wonderful and creative, but all I could do was a straight line. I put down everything I could think of, but on the way home I realized I had forgotten about my kids... I have three children that I love more than anything in the world, and I'm extremely surprised that I could forget about them. The only reason I can think of is that she asked about me, not them, and I didn't happen to connect the two... Is this an example of literal thinking, or just being stupidly forgetful? :p I couldn't do any emotions beyond happy and sad either, btw.

I think only YOU can answer that. If your kids aren't a problem, and their care isn't a problem, then it shouldn't matter for depression anyway. It certainly has no bearing on AS. Of course, I am not a shrink.

Steve

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2006, 9:54 am

I often find my mind goes blank when I'm in with my shrink, and I forget to mention major, significant stuff. Plus, it's a property of depression that you tend to focus on the bad stuff and forget about the good stuff, no?

Anyway, a straight happy/sad line makes the most sense to me too.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 1:25 pm

I think it's part of why the line was straight. you weren't truly really thinking about your emotional state....well, you were, but you weren't thinking in complete generalization terms.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 9:33 pm

She's probably analyzing the shape and milestones in her own way. You can't really force yourself to do it a particular way.
I don't think forgetting your children in this kind of exercise is an example of "literal thinking" but drawing the straight line is. :)
I think story comprehension/summation is the problem in forgetting your kids. NTs use details to flavor their stories, the details aren't the story. But if you don't know how to sum up an experience or the question is too open-ended, you might just say something to create a list.
Recalling these details doesn't necessarily mean distinguishing them. Stubbing your toe might be expressed as a traumatic event but you'll forget losing a good friend.

It's important that the therapist knows that these are autistic traits because she might come up with some weird declaration about forgetting your kids.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 10:41 pm

eh?

okay, I guess that makes sense in some illogical way.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2006, 2:15 pm

Yes I think this could be an example of literal thinking because she was asking about YOU so that is where you put your focus. I have left out very important information before which afterwards I felt really silly about forgetting - but it was not really forgetting - just not making the connection between what was asked and the bigger picture. In kids however the literal thinking I think tends to be much more literal - like when someone on TV said they were going to turn the show upside down my son asked very hesitantly if he really was going to do that. As adults we know better than that because we are familiar with phrases - but when asked questions you can be really limited in the focus of your answers especially when you are under pressure and have anxiety of depression.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2006, 4:01 pm

yes. the limited questions thing, one of our worst things to deal with. eva.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2006, 6:05 am

klassobanieras wrote:
I often find my mind goes blank when I'm in with my shrink, and I forget to mention major, significant stuff. Plus, it's a property of depression that you tend to focus on the bad stuff and forget about the good stuff, no?

Anyway, a straight happy/sad line makes the most sense to me too.

KimJ wrote:
NTs use details to flavor their stories, the details aren't the story. But if you don't know how to sum up an experience or the question is too open-ended, you might just say something to create a list.
Recalling these details doesn't necessarily mean distinguishing them. Stubbing your toe might be expressed as a traumatic event but you'll forget losing a good friend.

It's important that the therapist knows that these are autistic traits because she might come up with some weird declaration about forgetting your kids.

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
Yes I think this could be an example of literal thinking because she was asking about YOU so that is where you put your focus. I have left out very important information before which afterwards I felt really silly about forgetting - but it was not really forgetting - just not making the connection between what was asked and the bigger picture.

These accord with my perceptions & experiences. I'm rigorous when relating details, oblivious when trying to wrap my brain around an overarching theme. Can't see self from outside, to give a service provider a short version of my life/story. What's happened most recently (any bad experience) is what's foremost on my mind in the here & now, can't get perspective on more important things that aren't currently urgent. If I could get a form to fill out ahead of time at home (instead of in waiting room or office during an appt.), that would allow me the time to give more complete answers. If someone else (who knows me well) can help me sort out what's relevant, that's even better.