Yes 30%  30%  [ 26 ]
No 70%  70%  [ 60 ]
Total votes : 86

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 8:48 am

donnie_darko wrote:
It seems like most people favor the death penalty, or even if they're against it, it's only because they want the criminal to suffer more etc. Do you think most people really feel this way? Or are the vengeful just more outspoken in their beliefs?

"getting even" is a basic primate urge. Even the chimps have it.

ruveyn

DemureStargazer
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2012, 12:21 pm

AngelRho wrote:
DemureStargazer wrote:
Death is not a punishment, plus killing is killing and there is no justify in killing another person with intent.

I look at crimes as debts that have to be repaid. I mean, even if an accident isn't a "crime" in a prosecutable sense, I think people owe it to each other to make things right. So for most accidents, mistakes, or intentional crimes, it is possible to assign a value to a person's personal loss and expect the person responsible for that loss to somehow repay that value. Or if you can't afford repayment, there has to be some way of making it up to that person that is acceptable to all people involved.

The trouble is when you INTENTIONALLY cause the death of someone, you cannot repay that debt. By that I mean you can't put a price on someone's life. There aren't many, but I really do feel like certain few crimes really do demand the life of the guilty. Treason would be one such crime. I also think if you falsely accuse someone of murder or you are guilty of causing someone to be falsely convicted and sentenced to death--and that's even if they are found innocent or never have to actually be put to death--you should receive the death penalty.

And if you're concerned that killing can't be justified for any reason, consider that if someone actually commits a crime and is put to death for it, the responsibility for his own death is entirely his and thus no executioner nor state justice system need carry the guilt.

I do not agree with you. Killing somone as a punishment is barbaric. Ofc ppl should be punished when they do crimes, but death is never an option according to me.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 2:11 am

donnie_darko wrote:
It seems like most people favor the death penalty, or even if they're against it, it's only because they want the criminal to suffer more etc. Do you think most people really feel this way? Or are the vengeful just more outspoken in their beliefs?

and oddly enough, when you press those who are against the death penalty, they usually arrive at a position that essentially says that they are anti-punishment, in general....

How is wanting someone to suffer a lifetime in prison not vengeance?