Congress Declares War On Autism ! !!

Page 7 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2006, 3:34 pm

What we need is a revolution!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Wolfie From Citizen Smith!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!! !!

DerekD_Goldfish
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2006, 3:41 pm

Its ok the Peoples poet is here now we are all safe

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2006, 5:12 pm

Well, at least we'll be herded into the boxcars with a smile on our faces, making jokes as they kick us with their standard issues.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2006, 5:13 pm

Here's my plan:Get LOTS of trucks and guns,wage guerrilla warfare against the US government and wear them out and TAKE THE CAPITAL!! !! !

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2006, 12:57 am

Unknown wrote:
Here's my plan:Get LOTS of trucks and guns,wage guerrilla warfare against the US government and wear them out and TAKE THE CAPITAL!! !! !

Time to switch to decaf, man.

I'm kinda concerned by some of the tone here. I'm against the curebie mindset as a whole, but I think we should be most careful to not come across as being against all research.

The truth is that most of us are okay. I know that I would not wish to be "cured." And I am certainly against the concept of applying a cure at the first sniff of autism. But....

Let's suppose you've got a kid in fetus, and you KNOW that he's going to be extremely low-functioning autistic, who will never be able to care for himself. Assuming a cure existed, would anyone oppose curing him?

Now, let's suppose that you've got a kid in fetus and he MAY be LFA, or he may be the next Issac Newton. You've got your cure handy... but it can only be applied right now. If you wait to see which way it goes, it will be too late.

Not so easy, is it?

Fortunately, I agree with "parts"....

parts wrote:
In the US we are headed for a major conflict on all the issues of genetic testing and who gets to know what. With the controversy surrounding abortion I don't think it will come to that if it does think of the strange allies we would have like the Catholic church and many republicans.

Politics makes for strange bedfellows, which is one of the reasons you'll see the ACLU jumping to defend the Catholics and the Republicans when the need arises. The notion of abortion as gene control would frighten a lot of people, and the political ads would write themselves.

"My name will be Holly. I will be born with a problem. I will have [insert disability here] but I will learn to live a full life, unless Mommy and Daddy kill me because I'm not perfect."

One political angle that will have to be considered... the backlash from the concept of using abortion as genetic cleansing will give much strength to the anti-abortion crowd. I'm pro-choice, but I think that if I were to have to choose between no abortions allowed and abortion used in such a manner, I'd have to think about it long and hard.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 1:00 am

Unknown wrote:

I've got a better idea. Someone tell them Iraq has WMD. They will send over 100,000's of soldiers, use up all available military resources, destroy their political credability, the administration will be in turmoil and then ....

wait on ... someone already did that :evil:

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

08 Dec 2006, 1:06 am

I agree with Catalyst's point of view. We were just having a little bit of fun is all.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2006, 2:00 am

Does anyone else see the irony that autism can be characterised in part by emotional blindness (which can manifest itself as the appearance of rudeness, insensitivity, etc), and these Autism Speaks commercials and advocates are really insensitive and actually preach non-acceptance of autistic individuals? If there was acceptance, would there be such a clamour for a cure? I am not against scientific research, but careful considerations need to be made. Some things these parents of autistic children say (who belong to these organizations) are downright ugly and EVIL.

Keep repeating this "1 in 166" stat ad nauseam. Stats-R-Great! They are a perfect reflection of reality (sarcasm).

“This bill is a federal declaration of war on the epidemic of autism.”
- Jon Shestack, co-founder of Cure Autism Now [link]

Anyone else disturbed by the use of language here? War?
And what could prenatal genetic testing lead to? Is this a genocide in the making? This is actually scary.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 2:19 am

goomba wrote:
Is this a genocide in the making? This is actually scary.

You're telling me! I got the jitters after reading the article on the bill and the language they were using. Trust me, this sort of thing isn't a good though for a 16 year old. I'll fight for my own right, as I said to Bazza before, to the last limb.

Plus, I'll also make strong emphasis in my story on this curebie stuff. It'll rouse up the CAN and Autism Speaks people, but then that's exactly what I want to do to them. :wink::roll::twisted:

In a way
We all go there

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 10:37 am

Yes, it's quite serious. NT's view us as having a disease. They catergorize us as 'handicapped'. If billions are going to be spent on 'research', they will no doubt be looking for the 'genetic fault' that causes autism. That genetic test may, or may not, identify those of us who are ASpic. As far as a cure goes, that (probably) won't be found. Because they'll be looking for a patentable 'magic bullet' like the cure for Polio. BUT they will start re-training schools, where "autistic" individuals are 'trained' to act like 'normal' people.

This could be very serious indeed.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 11:38 am

What I've been wondering about is this idea of cure. If it is possible in the future (personally I doubt it, I think they'll just develop a pre-natal test) then who decides what level of autism is cured? It is OK for those of us who can communicate our wishes but I am concerned about fellow ASers (ASpics - I like that) who are unable to communicate their wishes.

1. where would the line of distinction be between higher functioning autism and lower functioning be drawn? Is it even ethical to make such a distinction? (I expect if they do find a cure that everyone will be 'treated').

2. What are the human rights implications in 'curing' someone possibly against their will.

I have no answers but lots of questions.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 11:42 am

DerekD_Goldfish wrote:
Its ok the Peoples poet is here now we are all safe

:)

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 5:40 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Yes, it's quite serious. NT's view us as having a disease.

May I note that it's not all NT's who veiw us as having a disease. I assume you meant a vast amount of the guys at CAN and Cure Autism Now (to the point of all of them, I imagine). With the new viewpoint being spread and advertised by these guys, it'll lead people to believe it's a disease. I do have a couple of friends though who said they thought it wasn't a disease (I've known them for a long time and they know I have AS) and encouraged me to fight for my rights 'n stuff. And yes, they are NT, for the sake of you guys knowing.

At first when I saw you guys saying things like 'NT's can be deceitful and not understanding' I was taken aback at first, but I came to realize after a few minutes thinking you were only talking about specific people. I'd have to agree with you that a lot of them are that way, however.

In a way
We all go there

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 6:24 pm

HEY, they spend so much money, and get rid of funds, and increase unemployment etc.... claiming people like myself don't exist! WHY NOT take the money I CAN earn(NO thanks to them), and flush it down the toilet trying to get rid of people like us! The REAL question is WHY!?!?!?

If autistics are smart, why get rid of them!? They can help fix all the mistakes the NTs make!

If autistics are STUPID, why get rid of them? The stupid NTs in government will feel at home!

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is!

Steve

ANYWAY, some called me STUPID and said I knew NO better when I said in the 1980s that they would NOT find a cure for AIDS quickly NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY WAS THROWN AT IT! I actually said that they were trying to find a cure for HSV and HPV for over 40 years with NO success, WHO could think that HIV(Which is much HARDER to defeat) could be any different? So what happened? Over 10 years AFTER some idiot said he WOULD have the cure within 5 years, he "appologized" and said they were NO closer and probably NOBODY would have a cure in even 20 years!

So where are they today??????

HSV <<<<NO CURE! NO real treatment! They are selling stuff to limit the rashes effects, etc... so it can spread better! They even have campaigns saying basically it is ok to have it and spread it. They have renamed the symptoms so they seem like a benign genetic condition. Someone is getting RICH!

HPV <<<<NO CURE! They CLAIM, as of a couple years ago, to have a vaccine! Less than 1/2 the population will get it. Although it IS the LEADING cause for cervical cancer in women, it is I believe the ONLY cause for a certain cancer in men! Yet men won't be allowed to take it. WHAT GIVES?

HIV <<<<NO CURE! They have a long expensive treatment that will allow it to spread exponentially though. Someone is getting VERY rich!

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2006, 11:20 pm

I agree that the concept of a cure isn't something we have to worry about anytime soon, and I must admit that I have participated in us getting worked up over a hypothetical situation.

I do not, however, agree that special training is a bad idea. A separate school is probably a bit much, although perhaps not an intensive program that is limited to one year. Sheltering an aspie from the NTs won't prepare him for the real world, but a short time in an environment conducive to aspie learning might be a good thing.

I do worry that such training would be handled in such a way that it made the kids feel inferior.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2006, 11:37 pm

this news is boring me now...Image

this is the enemy ladies, gents, and unspecified genders! be aware of kittens buying machine guns!

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you