Random Facts no one needs to know

Page 59 of 61 [ 963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 8:29 pm

While Theodore Roosevelt was campaigning in Milwaukee in 1912, a would-be assassin fired a bullet into the right side of his chest. Much of the force of the slug was absorbed by the President's eyeglasses case and by the 50 page speech he was carrying double-folded in his breast pocket. Nevertheless, the bullet lodged itself just short of his lung, and, dripping in blood, Roosevelt pulled himself up to the podium. He asked the crowd to please "...be very quiet and excuse me from making a long speech. I'll do the best I can, but there's a bullet in my body. . . I have a message to deliver, and I will deliver it as long as there is life in my body." He spoke for 90 minutes, but was unable to refer to his text due to the gaping hole which the bullet had torn through it.

- Emerson

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 9:21 pm

My last name has more letters than Schwarzenegger .

zee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 4:55 am

Blue diaper syndrome is a rare, genetic metabolic disorder characterized by the incomplete intestinal breakdown of the amino acid tryptophan. The resulting chemical produced is the same found in indigo dye, which gives the baby's urine a bluish color.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 5:32 am

In Australia, the Number 1 topping for pizza is eggs. In Chile, the favorite topping is mussels and clams. In the United States, it's pepperoni.

- Emerson

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 9:35 pm

This was a neat thread :D

John Adams was called "His Rotundity" (mostly) behind his back by members of the House and Senate.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 10:36 pm

Y'now, the hazelnut is not actually a nut, it's a seed. Do you know which else? The Brazil
nut.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

24 Aug 2012, 10:41 pm

MrMark wrote:
In Australia, the Number 1 topping for pizza is eggs. In Chile, the favorite topping is mussels and clams. In the United States, it's pepperoni.
Now THAT is one HUGE thread necro. :lol:

In TF2, two Medics with a Medi Gun and an Ubersaw can form a Medic chain, in which one Medic builds up an Ubercharge and uses it on the second Medic, who then kills people with his Ubersaw, increasing his own Ubercharge. Then the roles reverse, and the cycle continues.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 11:09 pm

In Fight Club, Helena Bonham Carter allegedly thought that in her character's infamous line, "I haven't been f****d like that since grade school", "grade school" referred to "high school", and was very shocked to learn that "grade school" in the US is actually the equivalent of "primary school" in England (where the actress is originally from - she was playing an American character in this movie).

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm

The smallest species of otter is the Oriental Short Clawed Otter.
The only groups of humans that still routinely eat mice are people living in eastern Zambia and northern Malawi.
Human's don't pass the mirror test (to test for self-recognition) until they are about 18 months old.
The European magpie passes the mirror test.
'Otter' in Welsh is 'dyfrgwn'.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 12:45 am

Never eat the liver of a polar bear. It contains too much vitamin A and will cause sickness or death depending on the amount ingested.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 12:54 am

Embalming, because it replaces all blood with embalming fluid and tends to be thorough, causes an erection in men who are embalmed.

Yep, grandpa had a woodie at his own funeral.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

whovian_vinnie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2012, 1:30 am

Another English word for Fjord is Firth.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2012, 3:50 am

Earthworms have five hearts.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 4:32 am

Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter have been together since 2001 and have two children together: Billy-Ray and Nell Burton.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 1:40 am

MrMark wrote:
About 27 tons of dust rains down on the earth each day from space, making a total of almost 10,000 tons each year.

The Cargo capacity of a world war two liberty ship ( mass produced frieghters) is 10 thousand tons.

So one "liberty load" of dust falls on the earth each year.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 1:44 am

Before signing on to play Lisbeth Salander in the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Rooney Mara didn't even have her ears pierced. She got them and much more pierced for the role because she thought it would help her get more into character.