Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 11:44 am

Someone I care about is suddenly taking beta blockers, I'm not even sure if he has been prescribed them by a doctor or if he has just decided he needs them and has got access to them somehow.

There is no point in asking. He is not a great communicator.
Are they safe? What are peoples experience of taking them for social anxiety? Do they work.

I guess the doctor may have prescribed them. If not im worried he maybe taking the wrong kind, the wrong amount and something that may have side effects.

any insight welcome

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

beta blockers are primarily taken for high blood pressure or heart rate regulation, but they can also be used off-label as a migraine treatment and for anxiety. a prescription is recommended, but i have heard of an active illegal market.

it is generally safe as long as a person's heart rate and blood pressure drop too low (though if someone is using them without a prescription, i doubt they are checking their bp on a regular basis), but there are other potential side effects that should be monitored by a doctor. they can basically affect blood flow to all the major organs, but the side effects are usually not severe.

many stage actors take them for anxiety.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm

also, moved the thread from Love & Dating to Health, Fitness, and Sports

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

some side effects are fatigue, nightmares, and impotence. for social anxiety, however, they need not be taken all the time, but just when an anxiety-provoking situation comes up, so less chance of side effects.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

i was prescribed 30mg pills for anxiety. i started with half that but it was way too much and i was feeling faint and weak. I do think they helped a little with the anxiety but i am not sure.

if i ever chose to take them again i would try 5mg

i'd say it's best not to take them unless a doctor thinks it's a good idea and even then, like in my case (and a friends GFs case) the doctors prescribed far to high a dose for anxiety

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

I tried a couple before for a tremor disorder & they made me sick but my blood-pressure is usually a little low. My mom takes 1 & she takes it for migraines & stress & she hasn't noticed any problems with it thou & she doesn't take it everyday either. I heard some people bleed more easily on them or the bleeding doesn't stop as fast.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition