Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 7:33 am

Yes, I just took the test, and have some questions. :) I know this is a recurring topic, so I will try to keep it short.

I read this today, and it's dated Friday, May 18, 2012: https://imfar.confex.com/imfar/2012/web ... 11267.html
I know it is WISC, not WAIS, but the difference are WISC are for 6-16y olds, and WAIS are for 16-90y olds, so I think its relevant.

Quote:
Asperger children might be more differentiated with the WISC-IV than they were with WISC-III, due to their respective Matrix Reasoning and Similarities additional strengths. (...)

On the test I just took (WAIS-IV), my strenghts were Matrix Reasoning(MR) and Similarities as the two top scores, with MR as the highest (MR is the reason I do well on online IQ tests, but it does not reflect my IQ accurately).

Quote:
For both WISC editions, the main weakness of Asperger children was on the Code subtest.

The Code subtest was my absolute worst, compared to my best score it differentiated 45 IQ points(25 points below my FSIQ)

Quote:
(...) in the three groups (...) the largest gap between Processing Speed and Full-Scale IQ was found in Asperger children

On my test, the difference between PSI and FSIQ were 12, and it was my largest gap between FSIQ and any of the four VCI/PRI/WMI/PSI scores.

Is it wrong of me to take information about WISC research and apply it to WAIS? If so, why?
Does this research go against earlier research you know of? If so, please link to it.

I did not take the Comprehension subtest(Measure the ability to deal with abstract social conventions, rules and expressions), which I feel is a bit strange, since I see that as a problem area of mine. I will talk to the testtakers about this, and ask why they didnt perform that test on me. I know it's not part of the WAIS-IV core test, but I find it puzzling that they left it out that optional subtest while diagnosing Asperger's.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:34 am

The WISC and WAIS are similar tests. The harder items on the children's test are often the same as the easier items on the adult one. Gifted children can be tested with the adult test. And both are scored on the same scale, with scores being relatively consistent from one to the other. So--yes, insofar as IQ tests are valid at all, you can probably apply what's said about one to what's said about the other.

But there are still huge differences between children and adults. Development changes how you think. What's true of AS children may not be true of AS adults; adults have better abilities in general, while children's abilities are more flexible.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 10:23 am

Callista wrote:
yes, insofar as IQ tests are valid at all

Yes, I know there are controversy about IQ tests, but in this instance, we are talking about the validity for diagnostic purposes, to measure cognitive function. Not to put a number of someones intellect. :)

Callista wrote:
you can probably apply what's said about one to what's said about the other.
But there are still huge differences between children and adults. Development changes how you think. What's true of AS children may not be true of AS adults; adults have better abilities in general, while children's abilities are more flexible.

Development changes your knowledge base, and cognitive behaviour therapy can change the way you think, and how your upbringing has been will affect how you think, so yes I agree, there are differences. I just don't see how the Matrix Reasoning-, Similarities- and Code- subtests would change that much, or how Processing Speed - subscore would be affected that much as we grow older. ..or well, I can see how with a specific disorder they can advance at different speeds, and therefore change the overall result of a test like this with regards to differences between the subscores. Really hard to make any assumptions about how the brain develop when we know so little about it.

...can't they just start to diagnose brain abnormalities like they do with organ abnormalities, scan the thing. I know they do this some places already, I just wish it was common practise everywhere. ( source: http://www.ted.com/talks/aditi_shankard ... rders.html )