Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 4:08 pm

Does anyone else have this? I am highly sensitive to sound, but not just loud sound, sudden ones too. Even if it's at a normal volume, if someone comes up behind me and says something, I jump, startled. This happens frequently at school; someone will start talking to their partner behind me, even in a whisper, but if the room was silent before, the sudden noise startles me. Is this related to Asperger's at all, or just an over-active amygdala? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

Yes. That is all.

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2012, 4:16 pm

I don't know whether it is related to aspergers, but I'm easily startled as well. It makes me somewhat of a target for "Practical jokes", which is pretty much bullying. For me, its not just sound though; movement is also a hardship. My sister always swerves her car suddenly so that I scream, and if I see a sudden movement out of the corner of my eye I am startled then too.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2012, 4:48 pm

AutisticBelle wrote:
I don't know whether it is related to aspergers, but I'm easily startled as well. It makes me somewhat of a target for "Practical jokes", which is pretty much bullying. For me, its not just sound though; movement is also a hardship. My sister always swerves her car suddenly so that I scream, and if I see a sudden movement out of the corner of my eye I am startled then too.

People stopped doing that to me when they realized my fight or flight response is almost always fight, and that just because I refused to participate in gym class didn't mean I couldn't break bones without trying. Only one teacher ever sided with the other kid, and that was because it was her son and she heard him screaming from another classroom and came running, and really that's understandable, assuming your baby can do no wrong and even if they did protecting them anyway. I mean, I would destroy evidence and murder witnesses to protect the people I care about from getting in trouble, and I knew that was "wrong" in an academic sort of way (my gut told me people I love are more important than others, period), so of course I would side with my bully son and not the kid a foot taller than him who had one of his baby teeth stuck to his fist with blood and spit, who seemed to have no emotions but never got lower than an A+, and who spoke with a seemingly foreign accent, like a terminator or something. I forgave her, but I still fantasized that if he died (preferably from being stung by swarming bees, don't ask me why) I would act distraught and like I missed him so they would let me speak at his funeral, then I'd heckle his dead body until I was pulled away while hysterically laughing and ejected from the premises. I tend to hold grudges. The other teachers said the kids should have known better and anybody would have slugged them for it on reflex alone. I knew this wasn't true since I had seen people not react with violence from jump-scares, but that was fine, they weren't me so I didn't care.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

I'm not easily startled at all. Sudden noises don't seem to bother me that much.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

25 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

Yes!

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 8:12 pm

yes I am easily startled.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Yes, I am easily startled. I have heard that this is very common in aspies, but I can't really verify that. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:30 am

I'm easily startled too. This is why I can't cope sitting in a small room with a dog, in case somebody knocks at the door and the dog barks. Other people are like, ''we hear the door so we then know that the dog is going to bark, so it doesn't make us jump then'', but I'm like, ''yeh but noises can make me jump even more if I know they're coming.''

This is why I hated the bell at school. Even if I set my watch right and knew when it was going to go, it still startled me and made me feel petrified, especially if I was right near one in the corridor. Most of the classrooms didn't have bells, which was good, but a few of the science classrooms did (God knows why) so I had to endure plenty of science lessons worrying that the firebell might suddenly ring, or if the teacher doesn't let us out in time before the bell goes for lunch or the next lesson or whatever the next period was. Also sometimes the teacher made us wait outside the classroom before class, so I used to stand somewhere where I'm not anywhere near a bell, which then made me look antisocial. I'm glad that is all over. And if you go around with your fingers in your ears at High School, you're encouraging bullies.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

Not so much now (probably have the opposite problem) but as a kid oh yes. Of course, you probably know what the logical consequence of that was!