How would you describe your thoughts during a meltdown?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 10:40 am

My meltdowns are caused by emotional overload, too. I might feel a combination of sad or angry feelings, with the angry feelings being dominant at first. With these angry feelings might come the urges to hit/throw/kick/break something or even self - injure, but usually once I get to a safe place, I just usually end up crying.

My thoughts when I'm like this usually revolve what a sad excuse for a human being I am and how I shouldn't have been allowed to live for as long as I have, since I'm so effed up and worthless.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

globalwolf2010
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2012, 10:50 am

It's pretty rare for me to actually have a meltdown (fortunately), but it's similar in some ways to being overstimulated by sensory input. I'm able to think normally on at least some level, but I'm not really able to put that into practice. When I have a meltdown, I'm not aggressive toward others, but I can get extremely over-emotional, say things that I'm not proud of, and do things that are embarrassing to myself even while it's happening. It's one of the most humiliating things in the world after it's over =/

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2012, 1:05 pm

b9 wrote:
i do not have meltdowns often, but when i do, i feel like i am an innocent person in a war zone that is closing in on me, and i must barge my way (using any means) through the situation to the the outer perimeter of what is bothering and frightening me.

Sorry to hijack, but after reading your first sentence, all I could think of was this:

:D

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

Abrasive Overstimulation >
Feel Normal, But Not Functioning >
Catharsis >
Organized

More frequent, mini-meltdowns might be a better way to live.

This word comes to mind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartme ... chology%29

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 1:26 pm

So often being unable to decompress, I'm torn between thinking the dos equis would be therapeutic at times, knowing it is not a way to find closure.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2012, 1:29 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
So often being unable to decompress, I'm torn between thinking the dos equis would be therapeutic at times, knowing it is not a way to find closure.

I was referring to the "I don't always...but when I do..." statement. :) It actually prevented me from processing the rest of the post because my brain was so stuck on that sentence. :|

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 1:33 pm

I don't always think drinking is a solution, but sometimes I do.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 1:35 pm

For me, it's almost like I'm a spectator to my own behavior. Like the other night I had a melt down due to a lot of noise keeping me up ALL night long, and I ran in the bathroom, locked the door, sank to the floor and started hitting my head on the door. My husband was trying to open the door and I remember saying to him "I'm fine" which really meant "I'll be fine in a minute". I could see the whole thing happening, and I was consciously aware of what I was doing for the most part. It happened pretty fast, but I'm fairly certain that I locked myself in the bathroom because I really wanted to hit my head, and I didn't want my husband interrupting it. Also, I likely chose the door because I'm sick of having to repair damaged walls.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:00 pm

chris5000 wrote:
I feel detached from my body when I have a meltdown

You know, when I was melting down due to a really weird emotional reaction to a virus, I, too, felt very detached from my body. I was able to attribute it to disassociation. Maybe that's what's going on with you.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 7:11 pm

I'm often upset or stressed which sometimes includes being upset when mine happen, though there are exceptions when they just happen for no reason that I can think of.

My mental dialogue if I'm upset/stressed is usually: "*rant about trigger* .... Okay, calm down. Calm down. STOP crying! There's no reason to cry! Just calm down, calm down, EB. Calm. Calm. Calm down, calm down. Calm. Down. *pause* repeat for a while then distract self with special interest to get my mind off the stress." Previously I'd call myself stupid as well but I don't do that anymore.

If random it's usually something like this: "*mental sighing sound* Really? I'm crying? Why am I crying? I'm not sad or anything. Come on, stop crying. Did something happen? Why am I suddenly crying over nothing? I hope this doesn't last very long. My eyes are filling with tears and I can't see now *is amused* This is annoying. I wish I knew what caused this." During this sort which doesn't happen very often I can be quite happy during the thing and laugh at the craziness of my crying uncontrollably for no reason.

-----------

Random unrelated thing I felt like adding:

Anymore when I do something I think may be odd and I'm either chatting online or with my friend I tack a cheerful "Yes I'm weird." to whatever I said or say "Yes, I am weird, but you knew that already." it in response to any comment about my behavior my friend may have made which usually gets a friendly "Yeah, I know." from my friend.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2012, 8:38 pm

Wow y'all have a lot of the same situation as me when I get sensory overload like that. Usually I just have to go somewhere quiet and it allows me to deal with it. I find the meds I'm on tend to help though (Wellbutrin).

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2012, 9:11 pm

Zodai wrote:
Generally, my "mind" seems to be operating normally - I'm able to think to myself and try and sort out a solution; but it seems nearly impossible for my physical self to make any sort of follow-up to it.

I just wanted to write this.

Like emotional part of your mind has detached and started to live on its own.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 7:39 am

Is meltdown an autistic only thing? I seem to observe similar things in NT people, too. But maybe they're not quite as NT as I thought. My NT husband does that sometimes. He's usually set off by annoying/stupid people instead of sensory stimuli, though.

globalwolf2010
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2012, 8:49 am

y-pod wrote:
Is meltdown an autistic only thing? I seem to observe similar things in NT people, too. But maybe they're not quite as NT as I thought. My NT husband does that sometimes. He's usually set off by annoying/stupid people instead of sensory stimuli, though.

Anyone can have emotional breakdowns. It's not entirely the same, I would assume, and it's usually harder to set off.