Parents in Aspie Forum, Aspies in Parent Forum

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 3:41 am

Essentially, there's something I've been wondering in my 4 hours since registration...

How many Aspies actually go and involve their views in the Parents forums?

How many Parents actually check what Aspies are saying in this forum?

I've been wondering; as I feel it could make quite a difference within the community as a whole.

(Please note - I am not sure if I'm allowed to repost this in the parents forum to catch the other intended audience. Could someone clarify that for me?)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 3:43 am

Zodai wrote:
(Please note - I am not sure if I'm allowed to repost this in the parents forum to catch the other intended audience. Could someone clarify that for me?)

Crossposting is forbidden by the site rules. I suggest you read them.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 4:31 am

TallyMan wrote:
Zodai wrote:

Crossposting is forbidden by the site rules. I suggest you read them.

Am I to just assume they're included in the duplicate posting section? Don't see it anywhere with that term being used...

EDIT: Ah, now I see it. I guess it could in some ways be interpreted as spamming xD

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 4:35 am

People read and post where they choose.

Some parents are Aspies.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 4:44 am

Marcia wrote:
People read and post where they choose.

Some parents are Aspies.

Ah; I guess that makes sense. I was generally focusing on the NT Parents; as it may likely help them understand Aspies more; which is partially part of the reason I asked if I could post it in the other forum as well.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2012, 4:46 am

I occasionally look through the parents forum. It's strongly suspected I have an ASD, and I also work with autistic children so I feel my comments can be beneficial both ways.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2012, 6:52 am

Zodai wrote:
Essentially, there's something I've been wondering in my 4 hours since registration...

How many Aspies actually go and involve their views in the Parents forums?

How many Parents actually check what Aspies are saying in this forum?

I've been wondering; as I feel it could make quite a difference within the community as a whole.

Speaking as a parent, I check the general area and the parent area pretty much on a daily basis. I don't have time to read all the threads but if something seems relevant/of interest then I go through them. Generally my reasons for coming to this forum is to try and get some insight on how things are for my son and what I can do to help, is the bottom line and if I can help someone else in some way, then great.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 10:36 am

I have Asperger and I suspect that some of my children have it as well. We are all in the high functioning end.

I really walue the insight of other people with HFA or AS in the parents forum, they have so many good comments, things that I would never have thought about myself (finding out about AS this year).

As long as the NT parents do not take it to personal, sometimes there are some quite harsh comments from AS people, who have not always been treated well when they were small people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 11:27 am

Assuming you are talking about this forum only, I go to the parents forum and read what is posted there and I sometimes post my views to help parents have a better insight.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 11:44 am

I'm an aspie parent so...I post on both forums, mostly asking questions :)

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 4:00 pm

I don't mind if NT parents read, or even post here, as long as they're respectful.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:00 am

helles wrote:
I have Asperger and I suspect that some of my children have it as well. We are all in the high functioning end.

I really walue the insight of other people with HFA or AS in the parents forum, they have so many good comments, things that I would never have thought about myself (finding out about AS this year).

As long as the NT parents do not take it too personal, sometimes there are some quite harsh comments from AS people, who have not always been treated well when they were small people.

I do admit that I wander onto the parents forum sometimes and will post on something that peaks my interest to if I feel like I can offer insight on the matter.

I do see that some of us tend to get knee-jerk reactions to be "protective" if it relates to a painful part of our backstory where we were mistreated in the past. If it saves one kid from being misunderstood or going through the pain that some of us have been through then it's worth it. If not, then the pain is still fresh in our minds and would need more help moving past it.

Subtlety isn't our specialty though and never was though. As one on here put in his signature: "Subtle as a Chainsaw!!"

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:15 am

I started off on WP by posting in the parents' forum, looking for advice about my then undiagnosed daughter. Very soon after that, I realised how comfortable I felt in most of the forums. Through reading up on AS and being here, I awoke to the fact that I'm very probably on the spectrum too. I never even considered it before, but I knew absolutely nothing about ASDs (I thought I did, but I didn't). I always knew I was 'different' and felt out of place in a variety of situations, I've always had sensory issues and problems with concentrating, I've never maintained friendships, once I've physically moved on... But I didn't ever realise that all these things were even connected. I still don't have a diagnosis and I do make that clear, when the thread calls for confirmation. So, I'm on WP for myself, just as much as I'm here for advice about my daughter. I think I've posted in every forum, except the ones for the kids. There are quite a few parents like me in the parents' forum.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 7:02 am

emimeni wrote:
I don't mind if NT parents read, or even post here, as long as they're respectful.

Respect is something that goes both ways, isn't it? I'm sure that, as long as you're respectful, the parents on this forum won't mind your presence either.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 7:09 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
emimeni wrote:

Respect is something that goes both ways, isn't it? I'm sure that, as long as you're respectful, the parents on this forum won't mind your presence either.
Myself and some other parents have been shown disrespect, in the parent's forum, by non parents. But, this sort of thing is not very common and posts by non parents are usually welcome and helpful.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 11:12 am

i often read the parents forum and i am not a parent

though i rarely ever reply to a post there and idont thik ive ever started a post there