What if the Roman Empire Never Fell?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TimGuyZ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2012, 11:23 am

Well the world would surely be different now. We would still be stuck back in time probably.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 6:26 am

I am writing this in their alphabet.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 8:32 am

We would have to use those horrible Roman Numerals.....mathematics would be even more difficult than it is now.
Senators would have to wear togas when giving their speeches.
On the bright side, the planet Pluto would NEVER have been treated so dismissively; citizens of Rome would not offend a god.o

Sylkat

globalwolf2010
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2012, 8:33 am

It depends on how it stayed afloat. At the same time that Justinian was reconquering the west, something very similar was going on in China. The new China obviously never fell, though, while Justinian's descendants lost his hold in western Europe (probably for a lot of complicated reasons, but definitely helped along by humanity's good friend Yersinia pestis). I'm inclined to believe that a unified Roman Empire based out of that could have survived for quite a while, since Byzantium only really fell in the 15th century, although it was getting a little bit crumbly by that point thanks to the Ottomans.

Technology would probably have followed roughly the same course as it has today. Religious and societal trends get a little more complicated. The Protestant Reformation and the philosophical shifts of modern France and Germany had a basis that was fairly complicated and relied on a lot of dominoes falling in just the right way. Not going to get too far into it here (because I can rant about history for hours), but they probably wouldn't have happened. Whether other, similar things would have happened or not is a very, very hypothetical question.