Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

So my sisters wedding is tomorrow, and rehearsals are tonight. I need help! I need advice too. Should I take a Valium? I'm going to be super quiet probably, but I want to talk more. Has anyone taken one before and what were the effects? Also - Any advice on how to overcome this wedding would be much appreciated.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:29 pm

Sorry for the short term notice of this, I just don't know what to do or how to act, or what the things to say ! !

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:39 pm

Prior to a significant occasion (usually a night prior to the event), I tend to give myself much more "stim time" than I would normally. This has worked exceptionally well IMO, but if you feel you will benefit from using medications, this may not be effective. Of course there's always the option to "grin and bear it," which I typically have to do if I'm only given a few minutes' notice (or even less, as people seem to enjoy doing this).

I have only been given a Valium once when I had a surgery done on my jaw (I didn't want to be "put under" and the surgeon suggested I take the pill 30 minutes before the procedure). After feeling looped out of my gourd, I chose (though the first time wasn't much a choice as I was about 13 and my parents made certain I took it) never to do that again. Of course, it may have an entirely different effect on you than it did myself.

I will not tell you not to use medications, but I would encourage you to try something else before some other event to test the effects of the alternative.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:39 pm

I take small doses sometimes when I feel like I might melt down in public or at work. It's a basic tranquilizer. It makes you feel calm. Things don't bother you as much. Sort of numbs you and your senses a bit, so you don't freak out about anything. It also can make you very sleepy, and give you "dead" looking eyes, especially if you take more than you need. If you've never taken it before, you will have no tolerance for it. Depending on how well you tolerate drugs, it might affect you more strongly than you expect and you could even fall asleep. It will definitely not make you talk more. You'll probably be quieter than usual and sort of distant.

My advice if you expect the wedding to be overwhelming is that you take it with you, in your pocket or wherever. If you start to feel like you're not going to make it, break the pill in half and take that. You will start to feel it in about half an hour. You will know when it has started to work. If, after fifteen minutes or so of it working, you still feel like you need more, take the other half.

Do NOT mix it with alcohol. I once had half a Valium and two beers, and I completely blacked out. No memory whatsoever of what happened after that. So if you're considering taking it at the wedding, plan to not drink. I have a lower tolerance to chemicals than most people, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

I don't have any further advice on weddings, sorry, but I figure you should have the information about this drug before you take it. :)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:44 pm

I've had the opportunity to try valium a few times for anxiety and taking half of one just made me calmer and feel like what I imagine normal people usually feel like.

When my grandmother took a couple for a doctor visit it knocked her out all afternoon.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:45 pm

kotshka wrote:
I take small doses sometimes when I feel like I might melt down in public or at work. It's a basic tranquilizer. It makes you feel calm. Things don't bother you as much. Sort of numbs you and your senses a bit, so you don't freak out about anything. It also can make you very sleepy, and give you "dead" looking eyes, especially if you take more than you need. If you've never taken it before, you will have no tolerance for it. Depending on how well you tolerate drugs, it might affect you more strongly than you expect and you could even fall asleep. It will definitely not make you talk more. You'll probably be quieter than usual and sort of distant.

My advice if you expect the wedding to be overwhelming is that you take it with you, in your pocket or wherever. If you start to feel like you're not going to make it, break the pill in half and take that. You will start to feel it in about half an hour. You will know when it has started to work. If, after fifteen minutes or so of it working, you still feel like you need more, take the other half.

Do NOT mix it with alcohol. I once had half a Valium and two beers, and I completely blacked out. No memory whatsoever of what happened after that. So if you're considering taking it at the wedding, plan to not drink. I have a lower tolerance to chemicals than most people, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

I don't have any further advice on weddings, sorry, but I figure you should have the information about this drug before you take it. :)

Thanks! I just broke a valium in half and tried it.. right now I'm feeling okay. I don't know yet.. I'll see later how things are.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:48 pm

That's not a bad idea. Try it at home before you try it in a public situation, and at the very least learn how it will affect you and how much you need. Just keep in mind that tolerance to valium builds VERY quickly. If you take the same amount tomorrow as you've taken tonight, it will not have quite as strong an effect.

Also, if you take it tonight, there will be residual effects tomorrow and you will feel a bit calmer in general. There's also the possibility that when you wake up in the morning you'll feel groggy, like after taking a sleeping pill.

Every drug affects every person differently. Just use caution and never overdo it. : )

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 2:21 pm

Yeah, sometimes Valium is good for people with social anxiety in socially-intensive situations... like if you had really bad stage fright you might take one if you had to give a speech to your school. Not something for everyday use, though; you'd be too out of it to be effective at anything.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 8:08 pm

Update: I took half a valium earlier, and a whole one before going to rehearsals. The rehearsals are over, I spoke fluently, I did better than I'd normally do. People still thought I was awkward but not as bad. Everyone went to rehearsal dinner after, but I'm also partly sick, so chose to get a ride home instead. I did go to a bar for the first time though within that place, It felt weird since I've never been at a bar before. I ordered one drink, didn't talk to anyone except stepdad and my mom.. but I did speak briefly before hand with everyone else.. light chatter. I think it went good for me, but bro in law doesn't really like me.. his family seemed nice.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 9:14 pm

From what I hear of it I think it could be useful, basically if it relaxes me that is a good thing and I am pretty sure valium is a sedative if I remember right. Not sure it would help with social awkwardness but I think it might take away the anxious feelings and make you come off at least a little more calm and confident.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 11:10 pm

I'm glad it worked. I was given Valium before a surgery and I was going about 100 miles an hour when I was wheeled in the operating room (I was anything but sedated). Medications and I do not get along. My policy is start small and slow to see what happens. Due to my myriad weird reactions, I am reluctant to try any medication unless I really have to. It was some kind of a cosmic joke, I think, when I had a severe reaction to one medication - I developed a painful rash (that left scars) and was prescribed prednisone - I then had to take 8 pills at once! Then I had what I was told was infection because I developed severe wheezing with prednisone, and prednisone is used to treat asthma and allergic reactions (among many other things) so the pharmacist and doctor thought the wheezing was bronchitis - and yet I see in the potential side-effects that yes, I could have an allergic reaction to that drug as well. Sigh. So, then I had a round of inhalers and anti-biotics. And blah-blah-blah. I take tylenol and little else.

The acute hyper-excited, agitation thing is on this list of side-effects. Likely not at all common, but I get all the weird possibilities when it comes to side-effects:

http://www.rxlist.com/valium-side-effec ... center.htm

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2012, 12:19 am

My grandma took Valium all her life, according to my mom. I've often wondered if it would help me because I am realizing more and more that I am a lot like my grandma was.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm

Update: Back from the wedding. Big overload! weight off my shoulders. Alot of people ignored me, but I walked my sister down the aisle. Overall it was nice..