Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 3:38 pm

I read all the time about famous people who have Aspergers. However, they have usually not confirmed it. themselves; in fact they deny it in many cases. The public personae of famous people generally gets treated as public property to be contested in the media. I don't think this is a solid basis for concluding a famous person has Aspergers. I have heard that Al Gore, Steven Spielberg, Bob Dylan and Bill Gates are aspie but I don't know of any of them who have confirmed it.

Does anyone have hard evidence of a famous person confiring that they have Aspergers Syndrome?

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

Dan Akroyd. The pertinent articles are blocked by my firewall at work, but do a quick Google search.

One piece of evidence that he has AS: when he publicly said that he had it, everyone thought he was joking. :D

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

I think Vernon L Smith was diagnosed with Aspergers. He won the Nobel Prize in Economics, I think.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 4:41 pm

Dan Akroyd. I will definitely research that. My original purpose is that I want to understand how they became famous and successful and how Aspergers traits helped or hindered them and what they did about it.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2012, 5:13 pm

You'll find a lot of musicians. The lead singer for The Vines has been diagnosed, Courtney Love was diagnosed as with HFA as a child, I think. I would bet money on Rivers Cuomo, Joey Ramone and Kurt Cobain after watching videos of them, but no diagnosis and the last two are dead. The guitar tech for U2 also has AS, I remember seeing a Youtube video about it.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2012, 5:56 am

I can relate to Vernon Smith. I like Dan Akroyd but he seemed less likely to be aspie. But then, hey, who am I to know what is what, I can imagine Vernon Smith talking like a university professor all the time.

VH
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2012, 7:12 am

Filmmaker, and Actor Paddy Considine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8440 ... elief.html

BarnettNewman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2012, 10:17 pm

Gary Numan. Diagnosed a few years ago and has been quite open about it. The evidence has been there all along if you read his lyrics. Cars- a song about his safe place - "Are Friends Elecctric?" And Remind Me to Smile.

BarnettNewman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm

Brian Eno and David Bryne have both said in articles that they suspect they are Aspies but have never sought diagnosis.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 5:05 am

Craig Newmark, the founder of Craigslist, I believe is a self-diagnosed aspie.