Why is it so hard to say the words that are in your head?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2012, 7:48 am

I have no idea, but I have the same problem. Writing things out is much easier and usually turns out much better.

I can sit there and think of a sentence - or even a short phrase - over and over again in my mind, but be unable to say it. Or, if I actually do manage to say it, it apparently doesn't make any sense to others and people start asking for more clarifications that I can't verbalize either and that usually effectively shuts down the conversation.

Generally it happens if I try to actually verbalize feelings. I've just gotten to the point where I can recognize what emotion-type feelings I'm feeling (other than whether they feel good or bad) and put words to them in my head, but actually *saying* them just doesn't seem to happen or work out well if it does happen.

DannyRaede
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm

Studying Psychology in school, and the reason that it is sometimes hard to get the words in your head out, is that the part of the brain that controls language is not the same part that controls emotion. So if you have a feeling you would like to express, it needs to get filtered through the language part of your brain first, and a lot gets lost in translation

lazamb_girl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

When I am talking to someone new, I am a lot better and comfortable in chatting. In fact my close friends are those with whom I have spoken a lot through chat or sms. This way I can steer off a topic or think properly about what I want to say..type and edit stuff before sending as well.
When I am talking, my face is too expressive and I just cannot seem to control it how mich ever I try. So if the other person sees my reaction to what they say, the conversation would not go beyond a certain point.
Also a friend recently told that I talk to people to argue but I do not talk normally!