Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2012, 8:30 pm

So I just received a notice in the mail stating that I have been selected for jury duty. Oh, joy.

Does anyone here know of any good ways to get out of it?

For one thing I am going to go online and see if I can get disqualified by stating that I have Aspergers, while not officially diagnosed because of financial reasons, I'm working on getting a diagnosis. (Then going on to list the symptoms/sensory issues, ESPECIALLY the black and white thinker part).

If that fails and I'm still required to show up my other option was to bathe in strong men's cologne and show up that way hoping they would want me out of there as fast as possible.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Oct 2012, 10:06 pm

I heard you could get out of Jury Duty by saying you have something else going on, like a doctor's appointment. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Vyacheslav
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 3:55 pm

Here's what I've done. If your group gets called, on that morning call in sick. They'll probably make you reschedule, then reschedule for a week with a holiday in it. It's not a sure thing but it improves your odds of your group not being called. It's worked for me twice. :D

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2012, 1:05 am

I remember I got called up before. I just decided to do it as I couldn't be bothered with the fuss of getting out of it. I chose to wait outside the waiting room as I felt very awkward sitting in a room full of people with silence for the most part. After all the waiting around there was some issue and we got sent away and had to come back the next day. After more waiting around we got sent to the court room and I didn't get picked for it in the end. Not sure how well I would of dealt with it if I did get picked.

You could always claim you're going on holiday or you have some sort of appointment, but that would just delay your date. A letter from a professional such as a doctor explaining why you wouldn't be suitable would help if you decide to go for medical reasons.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

Thank you all for the advice. I tried sending in a brief excusal request online stating about my high probability of being an Aspie but it was still rejected anyway. I'm assuming it's because of a lack of doctor's note, even though I explained why I haven't been officially diagnosed yet.

I guess what I am going to do is just show up looking as obnoxious as I can. I have been researching the best ways of getting out of it and it sounds like they don't want people who look too young and I can still pass as a teenager easily. My bangs are dyed blonde and I'm just going to wear a tank top that shows off my tattoo on my left arm and maybe some of my really old Hot Topic baggy shorts with chains. (If I still even have them).

On the questionnaire I'm required to fill out I'm going to select that I'm in favor of the death penalty and sound as biased as possible for the rest o f it, which wouldn't even be a lie because I am a very rigid thinker.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 12:10 pm

My brother got a letter before saying he had jury duty, and he wrote back asking if he can be excused because he had depression, and they completely let him off without wanting any proof. True story.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2012, 5:28 pm

First day of Jury duty went about as decent as jury duty can go. They randomly selected 50 people as potential jurors and had them fill out a detailed questionnaire. I was not part of that 50, so at the scheduled lunch break they sent the rest of us home. However, those that were not part of the chosen group will most likely have to report back there tomorrow for one more day. I won't know until I check in again online after 5pm.

It was extremely boring and I hated having to wake up so early. It also really threw my normal routine out of loop which I'm none too happy about, but I'm just hoping that I won't have to report back tomorrow, and I ESPECIALLY hope that I don't end up being picked. I'll do whatever it takes to get out of it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

TheTigress wrote:
First day of Jury duty went about as decent as jury duty can go. They randomly selected 50 people as potential jurors and had them fill out a detailed questionnaire. I was not part of that 50, so at the scheduled lunch break they sent the rest of us home. However, those that were not part of the chosen group will most likely have to report back there tomorrow for one more day. I won't know until I check in again online after 5pm.

It was extremely boring and I hated having to wake up so early. It also really threw my normal routine out of loop which I'm none too happy about, but I'm just hoping that I won't have to report back tomorrow, and I ESPECIALLY hope that I don't end up being picked. I'll do whatever it takes to get out of it.

While you may think that being opinionated would make you an undesirable candidate, it will only make you undesirable to one side. They can use a strike against you if they have any left when they get to you, but if not, and the other side wants you, there you are.

If it's a death penatly case, you could get out of it when they ask if there is anybody who feels they could not sentence a person to death if they had to by saying that you couldn't, but saying you're for it already blew that out of the water.

I'd like to be on jury duty though. I only got called once, and one of my kids was sick so I couldn't go. I wish they would call me again.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 12:03 am

When I was 18 I got one of these - I explained my situation, and they understood and I got out of it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 12:33 am

if they paid me for my time and trouble i wouldn't mind. short of that, i have been called but talked my way out of jury duty by managing to appear undesirable both for the defense and prosecution.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2012, 12:55 am

I served on one recently in New York. I have no idea how varied the systems are between states. Honestly, it wasn't bad. They paid us 50 dollars a day.

They summon about 40 people, but only need 11. So they have all 40 of you come into a room and watch a video that explains the system, why jurors are important, blah blah blah.

After that, like 20 out of 40 of you are randomly selected. If you aren't one of those 20, you can basically go home right then. If you are one of those 20, the DA and defense attorney ask a few questions, like what is your job, education background, etc. Ours was a DWI case, so they asked what we thought of drunk driving, do we know any drunk drivers, have we ever been convicted of drunk driving, etc.. One dumbass said that she hates drunk drivers and wouldn't give them a fair trial, blah blah blah. I don't know if she was serious or not, but it got her out of it. The two opposing attorneys basically try to get rid of people who they think will be bad for their side, so it is a process of elimination.

You really only have about a 25-33% chance of making the jury when you are called for jury duty.

Long story short, we found the girl not guilty. To be honest, it actually gave me a new found faith in the system. After the trial, we bullshitted with the judge and attorneys. The judge told us he thought we made the right decision and the cops were shady.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:13 am

When they send me questionnaires I just ignore them and pretend I never got them. They can't prove that I did. I never got one that said I was already selected but my mother did.

If I actually got selected for jury duty it would be a disaster because pretty much never in my life have I been able to make myself go somewhere every day for any length of time. Even in school I didn't manage to even though it resulted in several visits to family court. If I had jury duty I'd either not show up and get in trouble or show up and be a nervous wreck the whole time.

Earlier this year I had to talk in front of the grand jury once and it was so stressful that it will make me think twice about calling the police in the future.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

blackelk wrote:
I served on one recently in New York. I have no idea how varied the systems are between states. Honestly, it wasn't bad. They paid us 50 dollars a day.

If they paid me $50 a day I'd grin and bear it but over here we only get $10 a day, which is completely laughable.

Found out I didn't even need to go in today so I'm all finished. Glad that's over with so I can go back to my normal daily routine and normal amount of sleep.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 3:45 pm

Figures, I only have been summoned when attending university. I would actually like to serve as a member of a jury to witness a trial and the processes that occur during the trial.

I've heard of people using their schooling, prior convictions, religion and health issues to "get out of it."