Can People with Asperger's syndrome learn how to drive a Car

Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:11 pm

Dillogic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I had no problems learning to drive and it took me a few tries to pass the written and driving.

I think failing the tests a few times means you had problems with it, just FYI and all.

Meh the written test took me a few tries, just because I was lazy and did not study, same with all my nt friends as well.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

I seem to be the exception to the rule by the look of things. I have found learning to drive to be a nightmare and, at 30, have pretty much given up now. I didnt realise I was AS at the time but my problems all seem to be in areas where aspies can have issues:
- Processing multiple streams: Could not concerntrate on both driving the car, listening to the instructor and answering questions he would ask as I drove.
- Spacial awareness: Found it very difficult to judge distances, relative positions and speeds in real-time while doing all the other driving stuff.
- Anticipating others: Difficulty judging what other drivers and pedestrians were going to do.

The instructor became quite angry at times and kindly told me that in all his time teaching, he had never met anyone 'like me' - This was not meant as a complement. What a tosser.

I cycle these days and I find this much easier (not to mention cheaper).

Alexithymia: 137

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2012, 6:32 pm

Yes they can. I drive and I have had my licence 20 years now.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 7:11 pm

Unequivocally YES! Not only can I drive a car but I am also licensed to drive larger vehicles such as large trucks and buses (but I cannot drive anything with a large trailer).

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 7:18 pm

I had been driving while with a Larning Perit in college, but after losing my car, I lost the skill. After ood instruction at a Driving School I finally got my license in 1988.
It took a bit longer, but it can be done.. My biggest problem was hostile DOT testers.

Sincerely,
Matthew

dajand8
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2012, 7:21 pm

I would speculate that the vast majority of Aspies drive. I drive for fun and comfort even.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 7:22 pm

Si_82 wrote:
I seem to be the exception to the rule by the look of things. I have found learning to drive to be a nightmare and, at 30, have pretty much given up now. I didnt realise I was AS at the time but my problems all seem to be in areas where aspies can have issues:
- Processing multiple streams: Could not concerntrate on both driving the car, listening to the instructor and answering questions he would ask as I drove.
- Spacial awareness: Found it very difficult to judge distances, relative positions and speeds in real-time while doing all the other driving stuff.
- Anticipating others: Difficulty judging what other drivers and pedestrians were going to do.

The instructor became quite angry at times and kindly told me that in all his time teaching, he had never met anyone 'like me' - This was not meant as a complement. What a tosser.

I cycle these days and I find this much easier (not to mention cheaper).
Learning to drive at such a late age is always hard.

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2012, 7:44 pm

I drive for my job (delivering for Domino's). Before this job I wasnt so good but with all the practice, I've gotten pretty good. I thought I would be sick of driving when I started this job but I actually enjoy it very much now.

PlantLover
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2012, 9:43 pm

Learning the fundamentals of driving was easy for me. Learning to focus my attention on all the right things without distraction was another story.

I got better by sticking to routes I knew really well first. I wasn't as scared/distracted like that. Then, with family in the car to help me navigate, I started venturing out further. Now I drive comfortably pretty much anywhere now by myself.

Hope this helps.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 10:14 pm

Not to brag, but I am a very highly skilled driver. I had no problems learning to drive and even got a perfect score on my road test with a old, jaded and tough evaluator in the car with me. I'm also an expert forklift operator even though I rarely use one I can say with confidence almost nobody can match my abilities. I have driven for 12 years without even a parking ticket.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 10:15 pm

I've driven cars, truck, farm machines and construction equipment. I was working on my pilot's license at one time (before the divorce).

Yes, some aspies can become proficient at operating a vehicle, and some can't.

You'll never know until you try.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NHASPIE629
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2012, 10:43 pm

I got my license on my first try. I've had many jobs where i've done driving. I drive close to 75k a year now at my current job.

Cracked
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2012, 11:04 pm

I can drive, but it took me a couple of years to work up the courage to go and give the driving test a shot. :oops:

jn88
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Oct 2012, 11:30 pm

Easily. I got my license right when I turned 16 and I've been driving everyday since with no problems.

akinthemiddle
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2012, 11:40 pm

I've got my license so yes I would say that we can drive :P I just don't any more because of anxiety issues.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 12:56 am

I've never learned to drive

Ian only learned to drive after several attempts and several years of having a learners' permit. He's not even suspected of having an ASD, though. He did so, I think, at Sherrys' insistence. :wink: :roll: