Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:31 pm

Are churches a waste of space?

TM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:33 pm

Depends entirely on what you would build on the area currently occupied by the church.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 12:40 pm

Definitely when you can have a strip bar there instead.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

Former churches make great museums; I've seen a few in Europe and Russia. They could also make good nightclubs and sites for raves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
Former churches make great museums; I've seen a few in Europe and Russia. They could also make good nightclubs and sites for raves.

The one church nightclub I've been in was rubbish.

The church apartment block across the road seems quite nice, though.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 2:44 pm

I like old run down churches, they add a spooky element to the neighborhood

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

I went to the moving sale of some folks who were leaving their church-house. They said it was fun to live in, but their heating bills were enormous.
(due to the very high ceiling)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:05 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The one church nightclub I've been in was rubbish...

I assume that you've never been to Amsterdam.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:08 pm

Many church buildings are used for multiple purposes during the week (e.g., yoga lessons, Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, community orchestras, boy scouts, polyamory clubs, etc.). So, the space often doesn't go wasted.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

Quote:
polyamory clubs

:lmao:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:25 pm

TM wrote:
Depends entirely on what you would build on the area currently occupied by the church.

Depends. I would turn a lot of churches into swinging clubs and mosques into pubs. That should get things cracking. ;)

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:46 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Many church buildings are used for multiple purposes during the week (e.g., yoga lessons, Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, community orchestras, boy scouts, polyamory clubs, etc.). So, the space often doesn't go wasted.

exactly, they, like libraries, are community centers where their functions extend beyond religious purposes and foster community wherever they exist. The aspergers meetup group in Portland holds our events at the Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church, despite the fact that many of them are not religious. And in many cases, religious centers, and public libraries, are often the last few places where low-income Americans can congregate and hold meetings at a low rate, or very often, for free, so it is vital for the social fabric in those communities they serve. They are a sacred place even for the irreligious and we shouldn't see them as just a space for church congregates.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

A local Episcopal church in town does run a free clinic for the poor on Tuesday so I give them a lot of credit for that. They have to wait in a long slow line but it's something.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm

No. Even if you aren't the religious type, a lot of charities are run out of churches.

And those of you irreligious types should be glad churches exist; otherwise, we might congregate somewhere you would find us more annoying.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 11:11 pm

Tensu wrote:
No. Even if you aren't the religious type, a lot of charities are run out of churches. And those of you irreligious types should be glad churches exist; otherwise, we might congregate somewhere you would find us more annoying.

Brothels and bars?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:26 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
A local Episcopal church in town does run a free clinic for the poor on Tuesday so I give them a lot of credit for that. They have to wait in a long slow line but it's something.

Churches also rent out class rooms used for sunday school to private schoolers to use on week days.

ruveyn