Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2012, 6:40 am

We all seem to mention meltdowns as part of everyday speech, I was curious if other peoples meltdowns are similar to mine or do they vary with age or audience, friends or family. Does the intensity vary, stuff like that.
Thought I'd describe mine and maybe get some feedback.

Heat, I start to sweat freely.
Flushing redness of the skin.
Heart rate accelerates wildly.
Muscle rigidity.
Breathing rate increases
Can't think straight, like someone flicked a moron switch on the back of my head.
Tend to go quiet but used to become violent against inanimate objects and others
Want to cry and fall on the ground in a hot sobbing heap
Short term headaches
Can't mentally function
Lose control of my reasoning and turn violent
Just want to get away physically from the location
These symptoms usually last for 10-15 minutes but can last 7-8 hours after which I normally collapse on a bed and sleep for at least 12-14 hours straight

Worst episodes to date have been
Boss didn't warn me I was doing a computer course involving planning the loading of a container ship. I had a quiet melt down and couldn't function for the day.
A relationship break up, threw poetry books through windows and put holes in walls (very embarrassing later)

You are very likely an Aspie

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:18 am

I start to breathe heavily and cant think straight
I get very angry and start storming through everywhere
I start not being able to be understood because I cant form coherent words and sentences
Cry for hours sometimes or just shut down and freeze
I am not right for hours afterwards
Have them frequently-lately work and other situations have stressed me greatly.

Kiseki94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2012, 9:35 pm

I cry off and on for an hour or more. This doesn't happen too often to me anymore. I used to scratch my arms and legs.

birdiethehuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2012, 12:52 am

I usually have a meltdown followed by a shutdown that can last anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days.
When I meltdown I;
Heat up
Can't walk straight or move very well
Get dizzy
Cry [a lot]
Stim [usually rocking or hand flapping]

It doesn't last for more than a half hour usually.
My worst one to date was probably when I was eleven and the bookstore didn't have a book that I was waiting for. They had to page my mother over the intercom because I started crying wouldn't--couldn't--move or speak coherently. The last one I had was at the orthodontists after not only getting brackets taken off and replaced, but also having a new orthodontic assistant working on me. I have very sensitive hearing and the drill they used to take the glue off your teeth is terrible to hear and impossible to block out.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:11 pm

I'll have shortness of breath. Heart racing faster. I'd feel alot of anxiety, and the feeling of passing out. I'll get upset and angry, but the best trick I learned is to not even think about it or dwell on it. If it's a big situation I'll take medications, or drink tea. It really sucks.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:26 pm

I start shouting and not wanting to listen to anything anyone says, even if it is helpful. I start to shout even louder and then start crying, not too loudly but enough for me to be truly upset.

nokosage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

My heartbeat and breathing rate rise, as does my temperature and my risk of getting a headache. Then I'm left quickly incapable of continuing with whatever I was doing and eventually at risk of hurting myself or doing something stupid. I'll tear at my skin and rock back and forth, really in an attempt to keep control.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 6:42 pm

Pretty similar to what some of you said, sweating, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, face going numb. Wanting to get away from the physical location of the trigger.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 6:54 pm

My heart rate speed way up and my brain stops functioning well and won't slow down.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Oct 2012, 10:31 pm

I just get really destructive and hit anybody I see.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."