Fixing the 'Aspie Stare' in photos! :/

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2012, 2:09 pm

Ok,, this is something we've got. It's a fact. It was yet another reason I was pretty sure I had Asperger's before I was diagnosed.

So, when I'm out with friends (or hell, indoors, with my family), I ether give the bug-eyed stare or look like I'm stoned in every photo.

Has anyone corrected this, and how did they do it? I'm looking for either a method or (ideally) an easy mental trick I can do.

Thanks!

Artemisia_Amaryllis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2012, 4:33 pm

Glad you posted this. Unfortunately I can't offer any solutions - I've actually spent more time than I'd like to admit making faces in the mirror and trying to figure out what causes this and how to correct it and still haven't got a clue - but I'll be watching this thread for replies that (unlike mine) are actually helpful.

Sterk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2012, 9:31 pm

Try to distract your mind with such a blazingly pleasant thought that you forget someone is taking a picture (hard, I know, but I think it's the social aspect of photography that makes us blank out).

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 9:41 pm

Don't bother unless your picture is getting regularly put in the newspaper or something. What does it really matter if you look stoned in your pictures?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 10:48 pm

Callista wrote:
Don't bother unless your picture is getting regularly put in the newspaper or something. What does it really matter if you look stoned in your pictures?

Exactly! You are who you are. If you look autistic, it's because you are. :P

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 11:25 pm

When I photograph myself I aim for holding some kind of object in my hands and focus my gaze on the object. When others photograph me, other than wanting to run, I've found that wearing hats and affecting a 'puh-leeze, already' sort of vibe satisfies most picture requests. I hate smiling since it always comes out looking fake. I don't consider myself photogenic in the least, though people IRL often compare me to celebrities