College with Asperger's (U.S. College Aspies Needed)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2012, 4:43 pm

Are you an Aspie between the ages of 18 and 22? Have you enrolled in at least 12 hours of college courses? If you answered “Yes” to both of these questions, I need to learn from you. I am researching transition planning, and I am looking for suggestions to improve it for people with Asperger’s. I would like to interview you through the private message feature of WrongPlanet.
You can expect to discuss your opinions on your readiness for college, any troubles you faced asking for help, your experiences with teachers, staff, and students, and any support you received from your family and friends. I would also like your suggestions for making transition planning better for people with Asperger’s.
You can choose to remain anonymous, to be known by your WrongPlanet ID, or to be known by your first name and last initial when this study is published. Your participation will remain as secret as the Internet allows. I believe you will be able to answer all the questions in a short amount of time (under two hours).

Last edited by profofhumanities on 24 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2012, 7:07 pm

I think i could help you.

Im seeing right now.

Calculus 3 ----- --5 hours a week
Physics 2 ------ --4 hours a week
Microeconomics--3 hours a week
Creativity and entrepreneurship-----3 hours a week
Inferential statistics-----3 hours a week
Experimental physics 2----3 hours a week
Introduction to materials----3 hours a week
English 4-----5 hours a week

To a total of
29 hours by week

I just got diagnosed with asperger two monts a go, and im having reall troubles right now, because of my adhd i being struggle in college since i got in, but im kinda smart, so i dont have to study too much to get good grades, but my adhd and my social anxiety are turning into a insolite lvl right now, maybe because of my diagnosis, that im starting to lose mid-terms, i been talking with my mom, and we are going to make an appoinment for this wednesday to see if i can get a prescription of ritalin.

Please let me note if i can help you with your investigation.

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2012, 7:33 pm

Thank you so much for offering to help with the study. I have sent information to you via the private message feature here. My son also has ADHD to go with his Asperger's, so I have a pretty good idea what a double whammy that can be. I hope you find the medicine helpful. (I know some people prefer to go without the meds and some struggle with side effects. There are so many medications out there now, so try a few if you don't find a good fit with the first one. This is just Mom advice, not Ph.D. candidate advice.)

slaraka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2012, 12:03 am

I am unsure if I would be helpful. I am 18 and have started my first semester at a community college taking 12 credits. So my answer is "Yes" to both of your questions but I still live at home. If you feel I could still be helpful feel free to PM me.

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2012, 8:05 am

Yes, I would love to learn from your experience. I have sent the information to you via the private message function. Thank you very, very much!

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 8:55 am

I'm 25, but I am a college graduate and would be very interested in sharing my opinions. Freshman fall was horrible. I had no problems whatsoever handling college coursework or making sure I woke up and went to my classes. All of my problems stemmed from the drastic change in routine going from an extremely scheduled and busy high school day to the unstructured set-up of college with its many breaks between classes.

Nash: Is there a difference?

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 9:13 am

rixxar12 wrote:

Im seeing right now.

To a total of
29 hours by week

I just got diagnosed with asperger two monts a go, and im having reall troubles right now, because of my adhd i being struggle in college since i got in, but im kinda smart, so i dont have to study too much to get good grades, but my adhd and my social anxiety are turning into a insolite lvl right now, maybe because of my diagnosis, that im starting to lose mid-terms, i been talking with my mom, and we are going to make an appoinment for this wednesday to see if i can get a prescription of ritalin.

How the f**k are you doing 29 hours a week? I'm doing 21 right now and it's awful. I'm often at school for more than 12 hours a day. I'm in class for 9 hours just on Monday. Even if you're a genius it seems like there just isn't enough time in a week to get everything done and to eat and sleep as well.

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2012, 9:21 am

OddDuckNash99,
I have sent you a private message with the info you will need. Thank you so very much!

Shameless, I would really love to hear your stories about college. The invitation is open to you, even if you just want to vent.

aspguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2012, 3:24 am

ShamelessGit wrote:
rixxar12 wrote:

Im seeing right now.

To a total of
29 hours by week

How the f**k are you doing 29 hours a week? I'm doing 21 right now and it's awful. I'm often at school for more than 12 hours a day. I'm in class for 9 hours just on Monday. Even if you're a genius it seems like there just isn't enough time in a week to get everything done and to eat and sleep as well.

I suspect that you're enrolled in a 2 year institution such as a community college. Many times a community college will tell you that you're going to have a 3 credit hour class. For example, at a community college, you may end up going 5 days per week for 50 minutes just for this 3 credit hour class.

Typically in a 4 year university, it has a literal equivalency. In most cases, you will go for 50 minutes, 3 days per week, but you'll usually have no time to do any homework in class so you'd have to go to the professor's office during their scheduled hours that they reserve only for students or by appointment.

gcwilliams92
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2012, 8:29 pm

I am interested, but I can't find the study. This is Garrett W. by the way.

KhanWong
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2012, 6:58 am

I just started first semester a few months ago in an international college in Thailand. Major in IT Engineering. However, I'm still 17 (18 next Feb). Feel free to send me a PM.