Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:15 pm

What I suck at: Algebra. Do not need help with it atm, though.
What I excel at, visual arts.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 8:56 pm

When I was a kid, my worst subjects were math, PE, and Spanish. Computers was one of my worst subjects for about a year in the 3rd/4th grade, but I think that was mostly bcuz the teacher and I didn't care for each very much. :roll:

I enjoyed taking Spanish a lot more once I got to high school, though....many of the students at my high school hadn't taken Spanish at all in elementary school, so the Spanish classes were pretty basic. The main reason I struggled so much with learning Spanish in elementary school was bcuz I transferred to a different school in the 4th grade and my class was three years ahead of me. I remember the kids who sat at my table in Spanish class looking bewildered when I expressed my frustration with the material.

Now that I'm in college, my worst subject is probably still math. I also started taking a Geosciences class at the beginning of last semester, and had to withdraw from it, since I couldn't make heads or tails of what was being taught in it. I'm taking Biology and Intro to Contemporary Math this semester, and anticipate both of those being comparably better.....I've been wrong before, though.

ETA: Oh, I quite forgot to tell about what I am good at....anything that involves writing, literature, creativity, art, and categorization.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2013, 8:04 am

My worst subject, like a lot of others here, was PE.

Take gymnastics: some bodies are designed to somersault gracefully through the air and some are not. You wouldn't expect a rhinoceros to do it so why expect me to do it?

Because of my build I was always put in the rugby team which I hated. I had no interest or aptitude for team sports and hated that everyone else took it so seriously. I once found a rather nice fossil sea urchin during a football match which gives you an idea how much notice I was taking of the game.

I was poor at woodwork and metalwork through general cack-handedness, which is a shame as I wanted to be good at them. The same with technical drawing.

I was always a good reader but someone hearing me read out loud might have thought I had learning difficulties. I was good at reading and writing in French too but again, hearing me actually speak the language was painful.

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2013, 10:57 am

Worst subjects: mathematics, drawing/art (I try my best, but the ability isn't there), some of the sciences, some aspects of mainstream economics

Best subjects: philosophy, history, theology/religion, political science, Austrian economics, creative writing, literature, and languages

I can't really explain my issues with mathematics. For some reason, I always struggled with the more algebra-focussed stuff, while I grasped more complex aspects of mathematics. My issues with art and drawing stem from a lack of aptitude and practice, but I do relatively well with lots of practice and time. But with math, it's different. I do eventually grasp some concepts, but it feels very foreign to my brain. The very abstract and less concrete things come more naturally and feel more comfortable to me.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 11:04 am

PE. Being uncoordinated doesn't help. Good thing at the time was that the PE grade did not count against the GPA as long as it was a passing grade.

English. Always had difficulty reading especially matter that did not interest me (that included most assigned fiction reading).

Physics. I always did good in math and science prior to this, but the physics problems and their given solutions never made sense to me.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 11:13 am

ghoti wrote:
PE. Being uncoordinated doesn't help. Good thing at the time was that the PE grade did not count against the GPA as long as it was a passing grade.

English. Always had difficulty reading especially matter that did not interest me (that included most assigned fiction reading).

Physics. I always did good in math and science prior to this, but the physics problems and their given solutions never made sense to me.

Oh, yeah - Physics was another subject I was never very good at.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 11:22 am

My worst subject was Recess. Trying to find someone to play with and not get bullied/teased was the most stressful part of the day.

History/geography was my next worst subject. I had one teacher who I did well with because it was based on strict memorizing of text right out of the book or his notes. I had problems with people/faces and places (prosopagnosia and topographical agnosia, which were worse as a kid but are a little better nowadays) so it was hard for me to picture the many people being taught about and keep it all straight in my head, and then figure out the places on the map, as at the time I could not even figure out which was left versus right.

I was good at most other subjects. I was in a gifted science program but had to drop out when I had many absences one year from school and the curriculum was too difficult to keep up with not being there all the time and not having someone smart enough to help me while I was out of school.

I was terrible at team sports. Again, due to the two issues above, I would not be able to remember which goal was mine, nor could I remember who was on my team as we didn't have different color shirts to differentiate teams. I would get disoriented very easily. During softball, I was always an outfielder. If a ball came to me and I had to throw it to someone I couldn't figure out who I was supposed to throw it to, as there was too much going on and very confusing. I was fine with solo sports like track and field.

My best subjects were English, foreign languages, art, music, science, math.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 1:38 pm

In High School struggled mightily with physics, effectively ending my engineering career path before I even embarked on it. I was a straight A student who only managed a C- in physics and that was through many, many hours.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 4:27 pm

equestriatola wrote:
This is kind of a help thread as well; and us Aspie's well, we have our strong suits, and our weak suits, which we will discuss here.
---
Used to be math for me. I have kind of liked now, but the title for my worst subject ATM is any science class; it is hard to understand, I cannot focus because of its complexity.......... it's like it's in some language I cannot decipher.

Help would be appreciated; geology is what I am into ATM.

My 2 worst subjects is reading and math even to this day. However I loved Science and made pretty good grades in it. I also love art which I'm gifted with.

HollowJD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2013, 4:42 pm

MATH!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !.
Yeah being Dyscalculic plays a big part in my hatred for math...... Yeah I think I will stick to social sciences.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 1:41 am

Spelling. In grade 6 I did a spelling bee (as they do), I went around my neighbours and got sponcered 5c a word or something. I got 4 out of 100 correct. But I wasn't the worst in the school either. I didn't bother going around to collect any money from my sponcers....