Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 5:56 pm

I think you both mean the same thing. If by "half-retarded" you're talking about being really, really bad at some things, as bad as somebody with a general intellectual disability, then that's a learning disability. It's common and not something you need to be ashamed of.

Autism is different from a social learning disability, though. Instead of just being bad at socializing, we have a different sort of thinking style that isn't very good for socializing, and also causes other problems as well as simply differences that are either strengths or just different ways of doing things. It's kind of like having the wrong currency, instead of not having enough money. It's a disability, but it's more complex than just the relatively simple deficits you get with most learning disabilities (though really, I don't think people with learning disabilities would call them at all "simple" either to deal with or explain to others).

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:05 pm

Callista wrote:
I think you both mean the same thing. If by "half-retarded" you're talking about being really, really bad at some things, as bad as somebody with a general intellectual disability, then that's a learning disability. It's common and not something you need to be ashamed of.

Autism is different from a social learning disability, though. Instead of just being bad at socializing, we have a different sort of thinking style that isn't very good for socializing, and also causes other problems as well as simply differences that are either strengths or just different ways of doing things. It's kind of like having the wrong currency, instead of not having enough money. It's a disability, but it's more complex than just the relatively simple deficits you get with most learning disabilities (though really, I don't think people with learning disabilities would call them at all "simple" either to deal with or explain to others).

I'm diagnosed both NVLD and ASD, though.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:10 pm

I found an easier cure! After a bottle of wine, I'm really confident, social, and 100% sure I'm acting appropriately and making a good impression. I'm also really hot and a great dancer!

(Ok, I better cut the sarcasm here. I mean to say: you aren't cured, you're just feeling better emotionally. You might even be heading for a nasty shock if you're overconfident.)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:20 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Callista wrote:

I'm diagnosed both NVLD and ASD, though.
So you have both. :) Entirely possible.

The status of NVLD as being on or off the autism spectrum is still a matter of debate, but if it's a learning disability as opposed to an autism spectrum disorder, then you have both the deficits of a learning disability and the generally different cognitive style of autism. It's not uncommon. How many people around here have at least dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, or similar specific learning disability? A higher proportion than among NTs, I'm guessing.

Autism Memorial:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

I refuse to call myself, half ret*d. I was called a ret*d from Grade 1 right through until I've graduated from High School by my peers, mainly NT females.

Brock
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2012, 7:56 pm

Ok I know nothing I say is actually going to change anything this guy does,

but chemical tolerance is going to catch up with this guy.

Sort of the same way a hammer "catches up" to a nail.

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

1000Knives wrote:
My NVLD almost literally makes me half ret*d. My NVLD also is diagnosed by some as Aspergers/HFA/PDD/NOS. My NVLD gives me extremely high verbal IQ, in the genius range, I think 130+, but it gives me extremely low nonverbal IQ, less than 80 I believe, which is literally ret*d level of IQ. The causation is right brain hemisphere damage of some sort, basically from what I understand NVLD clinically acts like a right brain hemisphere stroke. So I'm half a genius, half ret*d. Fun existence.

And stims while they're awesome short term, in the longterm you f**k up your endocrine system with them. It's pretty not fun. They'll do miracles short term, but with stims you're more or less borrowing from your internal energy reserves. In Chinese medicine it's called Jing. When you get off stims you WILL be worse than when you started. It's the same as if a bodybuilder goes on steroids. Do they work? Well yeah, but later in life they pay consequences. It's literally the exact same concept as steroids, just instead of testosterone, you're artificially influencing norephrine, epinephrine, seratonin, etc, levels.

^ THAT ^

Thank you 1000Knives for your articulations on some of the confounding balances that we face in our condition. First the enablements vs disablements of the mental wiring that Asperger's Autism (or NVLD) imposes and second, the price one can pay for aggressively attempting a chemical mediation to address one's "hardware" issues, most specifically with mind alternig STIMulants or any other medication, doctor prescribed or otherwise.

I'm assuming you meant meds from the second paragraph's detailing though at first I thought you meant 'stimming' in a shorthand kind of way. It's my assumption that stimming, while annoying as hell is merely a physical coping mechanism and has no known long term effects.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 11:41 am

Surfman wrote:
Cranking on meth and Jesus is not a cure for autism

This!

Alexithymia: 137

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm

Si_82 wrote:
Surfman wrote:
Cranking on meth and Jesus is not a cure for autism

This!

OK, ^THAT^ as well.

The consensus is that there is no known cure for autism OP. Please hear those of us that know where you're at right now.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2012, 4:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
a. Autism has no cure.
b. Chemicals can alter your perspective.
: : Either you never had Autism, or those chemicals are affecting your mind.

I agree to a,

but i think for him the directly spectrum related problems are quite small compared to anxiety and depression.
And those I am convinced you can get rid off! The AS might be then a very small problem only. :) :)

Ensiferum
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2012, 1:51 pm

If this is the placebo effect, everybody should stay clear, this can lead to many weeks of happiness.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

Ensiferum wrote:
If this is the placebo effect, everybody should stay clear, this can lead to many weeks of happiness.

I imagine
In the top news : PLACEBO HEALS AUTISM. That would be awesome.

Placebo is a fake. Well not quite. If it helps just give a damn s**t. I never understood why placebos really come off so badly.

Well and do you know the nocebo effect? I mean like you think you have AS and you'll get it (source wikipedia article about nocebo)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:11 pm

The phrase "just the placebo effect" doesn't really cover it, does it? The placebo effect is powerful. Your mind's effect on your body is powerful, too. For example, most of an antidepressant's effect is placebo effect--it's the result of your having been given hope that recovery will now be easier. (A small but significant part of it is due to the actual drug, though, which is why we use antidepressants rather than placebos to treat depression.)

Just the fact that you're doing something can encourage you so much that you start to get better.

Autism Memorial:

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 2:27 pm

Ensiferum wrote:

Just came to my mind,

the nocebo effect of the placebo being treated as worst fake, the worst enemy

Placebo is quite natural (so is nocebo) and we should make use of it. Well we do.

Just taking pills that do not contain any helping substances isnt really very useful.

Though,
if youd think of a pill that wouldnt have any side effect. How wonderful that would be.

Risky though, because a pill with active substances would work better and definitely.

And if there isnt any then placebo! of course

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

Callista wrote:
The phrase "just the placebo effect" doesn't really cover it, does it? The placebo effect is powerful. Your mind's effect on your body is powerful, too. For example, most of an antidepressant's effect is placebo effect--it's the result of your having been given hope that recovery will now be easier. (A small but significant part of it is due to the actual drug, though, which is why we use antidepressants rather than placebos to treat depression.)

Just the fact that you're doing something can encourage you so much that you start to get better.

Has this been researched scientifically? I mean how much better (in numbers or whatever comparison) the drugs work than a placebo?

Some drugs probably have a high placebo component. But some dont and work more effectively then.

With anti depression medicines i wouldnt be too surprised if they come off quite badly. Once developed and now sold for how many years without improving the effect, diminishing the side effects.

I mean the side effect that you might feel much worse when youd not fade out the drug. And even commit suicide.
Really nice drugs :lol:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:40 pm

Perhaps I took the half ret*d thing wrong, thought it was meant more insultingly like the poster calling everyone here half ret*d to be mean. I guess I can sort of get what is more meant, I myself find myself to be rather slow with processing things and doing thinks like work. Its like I have intelligence but a lot of people wouldn't notice because how 'slow' or whatever I am so I can sort of get it.