Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:00 pm

blackelk wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Your guy Obama is at best (or at worst) a center-right capitalist crony. That people in the US would call him a left-wing extremist is scary , because it shows how very right-wing the place is.

How right wing is Europe then when they have actual racist parties with power?

Europe is a spent force both morally and intellectually. They just haven't gotten around to realizing they have been dead for 50 years. The only live thing in Europe right now is CERN.

ruveyn

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2012, 12:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
blackelk wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Your guy Obama is at best (or at worst) a center-right capitalist crony. That people in the US would call him a left-wing extremist is scary , because it shows how very right-wing the place is.

Europe is a spent force both morally and intellectually. They just haven't gotten around to realizing they have been dead for 50 years. The only live thing in Europe right now is CERN.

ruveyn

It amazes me that in countries like Austria and Holland, with virtually no minorities, right wing parties can actually get popular support and seats in Parliament. These countries are like 90% white, and they are scared to death of their small minority populations. Can you imagine if 1/3 of their country was black or hispanic, and they shared a large border with brown people that ends up with millions of them here illegaly? Hitler would probably rise again.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm

"Politics is not the art of the possible.It consists in choosing
Between the disastrous and the unpalatable".

John Kenneth Galbraith

"It makes no difference who you vote for--the two parties
Are really one party representing four percent of the people."

Gore Vidal

source: The Portable Curmudgeon

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 12:26 pm

Misslizard wrote:
"

"It makes no difference who you vote for--the two parties
Are really one party representing four percent of the people."

Gore Vidal

source: The Portable Curmudgeon

That obnoxious little Tweety Bird.

ruveyn

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Oct 2012, 2:50 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Calling Obama a left wing extremist will never stop being hilariously ridiculous... Just saying.

Yes, on a global scale, President Obama is slightly right of center.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The only live thing in Europe right now is CERN.

And that's based in a non-EU/EEA country.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

blackelk wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
blackelk wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

ruveyn

It amazes me that in countries like Austria and Holland, with virtually no minorities, right wing parties can actually get popular support and seats in Parliament. These countries are like 90% white, and they are scared to death of their small minority populations. Can you imagine if 1/3 of their country was black or hispanic, and they shared a large border with brown people that ends up with millions of them here illegaly? Hitler would probably rise again.

Hitler can rise again in that dead continent.

The social contract seems to be: "Give me the rights that I say I have, and the benefits I think I deserve, or we the collective, will return to one of our three dumb European ideas: Nazism, Communism, or Fascism."

Multiculturalism (and the EU in general) is a great theory that should have just stayed in the textbooks. You have more diversity in America, and it works, because we demand the melting pot ideal of from many one. You can still keep your heritage, engage in ethnic and cultural institutions that you've brought over from your native land, but remember first and foremost that you are an American, and as such, please take part in our established civic institutions, and our shared culture.

Multiculturalism allows for competing sets of values to be tolerated in a one way direction: the establishment tolerating the newcomers. It only works for so long.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 3:04 pm

blackelk wrote:

Name an actual racist party officially running a government in Europe (with the possible exceptions of Golden Dawn or Jobbik, who are a very worrying phenomenon but don't actually run any governments, although they've both infiltrated the government to a degree).

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Multiculturalism (and the EU in general) is a great theory that should have just stayed in the textbooks. You have more diversity in America, and it works, because we demand the melting pot ideal of from many one. You can still keep your heritage, engage in ethnic and cultural institutions that you've brought over from your native land, but remember first and foremost that you are an American, and as such, please take part in our established civic institutions, and our shared culture.

Multiculturalism allows for competing sets of values to be tolerated in a one way direction: the establishment tolerating the newcomers. It only works for so long.

Bravo! *clap clap clap*

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 3:11 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
The social contract seems to be: "Give me the rights that I say I have, and the benefits I think I deserve, or we the collective, will return to one of our three dumb European ideas: Nazism, Communism, or Fascism."

I don't agree there. There are not even three of those dumb ideas. They can all be neatly rolled into one: Totalitarianism.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

Tequila wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

I don't agree there. There are not even three of those dumb ideas. They can all be neatly rolled into one: Totalitarianism.

I agree.

But from an American observer, it seems that while totalitarianism seems to be very accurate, many of them have race or class as being central to the ways they will go about imposing things. When the racists rise up(specifically speaking about NewDawn), they don't care about poor minorities as much as they do the poor native majority, and when the classists take the lead, it is the wealthy and elite who bare the brunt of their unfair policies.

Both will nationalize and regulate industry, but the cause of all their ills is either the colored or the rich man, and much of their solutions, unfortunately, will be constructed to deal with both accordingly.