Hey everyone! Advice for my first Job Interview?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PintoNess
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2012, 11:33 pm

So, hello! I don't come on here very often, so most of you probably don't know me. Anyway, I have undiagnosed but professionally and personally suspected (as in, my psychiatrist thinks I have it as do my mother and I) Aspergers or PDDNOS. I submitted a Job Application with the AMC movie theaters, and I got a call tonight setting up a job interview for tomorrow! Whoot!
But I would like some advice, if anyone has it?
I'm 16, graduated high school two years early, and have never had a real job- though I operated a jewelry making business in Junior High and did odd jobs around my neighborhood all through my childhood. Also, I have managing experience (kind of) managing thirty kids back stage during theater productions.

I'd like any advice you can give, if possible, and asap, please? Thanks so much! :)

aryaunderfoot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2012, 4:18 am

I am no regular either, but I have had 10+ job interviews during the last three months - and one of them was actually successful!. They were in germany but I don't think there is such a big difference. So maybe I can help you a bit.
The first thing you have to plan is what you are going to wear. Depending on the kind of job, of course. I think it's always better to be a bit overdressed than below expectations. You should check the internet for advice.
Think of possible questions they might ask and think about possible answers and try to summarize the experience you already have in a few short sentences.
Well, apart from that: people want you to be "natural" and polite. For Aspies that can be quite the challenge. If you see the interviewer, try to look him/her in the eye (even if it's hard) and give him/her a good strong (but not too strong!) handshake and a smile - and don't forget to say them your name (happened to me once, no good). Take the offered seat and thank them. I tried to smile through most of the interview and reciprocate as best as I could. Answer truthfully, but careful. You don't have to give them every information. When there is something that might misrepresent you, leave it out.
Afterwards my interviewer (who's my boss now) told me that the first 30 seconds had been the most important ones. So try to keep up the smiles, the politeness, the eyelooking part and try not to sit too stiffly or something for those important 30 seconds.
OK that's a lot to digest and I needed a few unsuccessful interviews to get there, but it finally worked out.
I wish you luck and hope you'll get the job.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 7:15 am

Dpont go int drunk or hung oer and stuff. Will definitely make you look bader.

Mebbe work on yaer postrue and stuff.... Show ha youtr interested, look a bit enthusiasdtic but notre too much so.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:45 am

There are a few basic essentials, like being on time, smiling at the interviewer and doing a firm, though not harsh, handshake.

My best answer is with one of the harder questions. One you might get asked is, "What is one of your faults?" Do NOT name anything that is essential to the job. And do not make it a personality trait, like being a perfectionist. So, if you are interviewing for a waiter, don't tell them that you are sloppy at serving food, or that you cannot interact with customers or something basic like that. I myself am weak at scheduling. At my most recent and successful job interview, I reviewed a basic description of the job, and asked if there was any scheduling involved. Upon being told no, I then answered the question, highlighting everything I had done to improve myself. In my answer, I had shown my strengths in being honest and in being a hard worker, ready to try anything.

Right after the interview, take down a couple notes of things you enjoyed discussing about the job. When you have a moment, send off an email or note to the interviewer, highlighting those one or two things that you found interesting in the discussion. This shows that you are timely, and that you are appreciative and INTERESTED.