Not swinging arms while walking--was this a sign?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2012, 9:54 pm

InTheDeepEnd wrote:
I also could not "skip" in kindergarten. All my other marks were high but that one was "needs improvement." I never feel like I know what to do with my arms if I'm standing or sitting (unless it's at a table, then I slump all over the table).

I just noticed this post. I find that very intriguing because I remember my 1st grade teacher told my parents that I couldn't skip and then they tried to teach me. I still can't do it.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2012, 2:47 am

I got lessons at home for doing a summersault. :) Still can't do it right though...

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 4:27 am

It comes under "odd postures", which isn't a diagnostic criterion, but it's associated with ASDs (it's in the literature).

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 10:20 am

I don't swing my arms at all, I find it annoying to swing my arms and I've never seen a real point to it. I usually have my arms folded or my hands in my jacket pockets, or my hands folded in front of me.

HammorHorror
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 6:39 pm

I don't swing my arms. I would usually have them in my pockets as I feel awkward with my arms hanging by my side. This is usually so when I am standing stationary.

Dexter12345
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2013, 4:34 am

Iam having the same problem since 8th grade . now iam in F***ing Med school and and my friends make fun of my (zombie) Gait.. Swinging arms doest feel natural to me..Is it sign of [parkinsonsm or something? Should i be worried??
:?:

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2013, 6:06 am

I have this thing that one arm can swing by itself, and the other arm needs willpower to swing properly. :?:

Sure I just carry a bag in the unswinging one... But, like, weird. :roll:

Dexter12345 wrote:
Iam having the same problem since 8th grade . now iam in F***ing Med school and and my friends make fun of my (zombie) Gait.. Swinging arms doest feel natural to me..Is it sign of [parkinsonsm or something? Should i be worried??

Don't worry that it is some sort of danger... But can you remember how it started? I though this was some neurological damage, but it seems to be an AS thing also. But I would think that with AS we would have had it way before 8th Grade.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:13 am

I walk in the style of a marching army when I'm in the house. I don't know why, it's just a habit I've acquired.

I also do it when I'm in a hurry to cross the road. :lol:

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:43 am

Eloa wrote:
My psychologist told me that people with an ASD do not have a sort of proper "connection" of the corpus callosum, the structure connecting the two halfs of the brain, with the two halfes of the brain, which gives this "un-coordinated" way of moving in people with an ASD or ADHD.

Funny! I only swung the right arm when I was young. People believed, I had a dysfunctional left arm. Later as an adult, when working on posture, I felt, that I was split in 4 parts, that had to be conciously coordinated by the brain, - and two physio-therapists have claimed, that I am palfrey!! !
Well it is quite easy for me to move that way (I´m really a horse, it seems).

Last edited by Jensen on 11 Aug 2013, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 6:56 am

My ex broke my nose because he didn't like the way I was walking. there was blood everywhere and I had to go to hospital. I couldn't even work out what I'd done that was so offensive.

Harrison54
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2013, 7:08 am

I don't swing my arms, nor can I skip or dance, however, I put that down to having polio as a child. Maybe it's part of the spectrum.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2013, 8:10 am

I don't usually swing my arms. It only feels natural if I'm walking much faster than I normally do or I'm tired (it helps with momentum and balance). If I try to swing my arms, it's hard to synchronise them with my legs and I get confused. It feels most natural just to let them hang by my side, but I know that can look strange so I put them in my pockets. One thing that helps is poi spinning because it makes moving my arms feel more natural.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:05 am

Dexter12345 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:07 am

Love the Seinfeld episode about that. It drives Elaine mad.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:09 pm

From Lorna Wing, in the paper that created the concept of "Asperger's Syndrome":

http://www.mugsy.org/wing2.htm

Quote:
K. had no stereotyped movements, but has always been ill-co-ordinated and very poor at games. He does not swing his arms when he walks.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:18 pm

By the way, welcome to WP Dexter12345,