Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kevster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2006, 8:41 pm

....That's Irish for 'Hello Everybody'. Anyway, I'm from Ireland and I'm a bit down at the moment. I have Asperger's and there's currently a break in the college year so I'm now realising just how lonely I am. There's nothing to do and no-one to meet. Is there anyone there that can offer advice? The OCD part of me is huge right now and I am finding it very hard to control it.

Take care,
Kevin.

natalia
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2006, 9:19 pm

Chats are good.

Also I think some people like to use video games to distract them from stuff.

"Some people", ha! I am addicted to SecondLife ( http://secondlife.com ), which is almost a video game except you don't have to "work" in there. Just hang out. Although some people work.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 3:01 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you find enjoyment and insight here!

I know no Irish at all!

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 5:18 am

Hi Kevster, and welcome to WP.

I'm just over the water from you, in Wales.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Kevster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2006, 8:05 am

Stinkypuppy, Irish is language that hardly anybody knows. it is not even recognised by the European union as an official language... :(

Starr, Hi, did you know that on a clear day it's possible to see Wales from the Irish coast in Dublin? It rocks! I feel better this morning for some reason. The problems are still there but they're tucked away in a crevice in my brain right now.

I was a moderator on a previous psychological help forum but they had a very small Asperger's section. That's why I've come looking for a bigger and better one, like this.

Take care everyone,
Kevster

DerekD_Goldfish
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2006, 8:28 am

Welcome fellow paddy I would talk to you in Irish but im pretty crap at it I just about remember how to ask can I go to the toilet.

"I have Asperger's and there's currently a break in the college year so I'm now realising just how lonely I am. There's nothing to do and no-one to meet. Is there anyone there that can offer advice?"

The only advide I can offer is the usual crap join a club etc. I never did while I was in college and altough I have a few friends from collge I reget not using the great oportunity college is to meet like minded people.
Try joining other forums about a subject your interested in and after a while talking on there meeting up with these people wont seem to weird.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 8:30 am

Kevster wrote:
Stinkypuppy, Irish is language that hardly anybody knows. it is not even recognised by the European union as an official language... :(

Mind you, I think they translated documents into Irish when the Republic held the EU presidency.

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

Quote:
how to ask can I go to the toilet

The first thing you should learn in any language - apart from the swearwords, obviously. :)

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 12:29 pm

'Ceud Mile Failte' Kevster

I only know a few words of Gaelic as it's a minority language in Scotland as well.
I'm interested in placenames and find it funny that Dublin means 'Black Pool' just like
it's English namesake across the Irish Sea.

If you can't join a club (something I'd find a bit daunting myself) the only advice about
passing time I can give would be to read as much as possible.That way you build up a
store of knowledge which helps in conversations if you do get to meet people.

For example it was due to my reading of a Gaelic phrase book that I was able to give
you a traditional 'Hundred Thousand Welcomes' !

Kevster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2006, 1:58 pm

Go rabh maith acu (Thank you/ye). Pluto, your advice is something I have tried and it has worked quite well, conversation-wise. I read Focus and National Geographic every month and I read BBCs news web-site everyday (The Science & Technology section). The vikings were the ones that named it 'Black Pool' and, looking at Dublin bay, you can see why! It's murky....

I appreciate all of these replies. Thank you everyone. Ye have proved to be a quite remarkable welcoming party.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 8:31 pm

Kevster wrote:

From what I understand, Irish is a language that not too many Irish people know these days. Unless you live on the West Coast, or the Northern Counties. Kind of like Scots Gaelic, in that regard, though all government documents are in Irish. OTOH, it is still spoken in some parts of the Canadian Maritimes.

BTW- Slainte!

Kevster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2006, 6:52 pm

It's mostly spoken in the West and SouthWest (The areas that the English didn't bother exploring when they invaded Ireland). The whole Irish-speaking region is called the Gaeltacht. All legislation, sign-posts, and legal documents are in both English and Irish, with the Irish coming before the English. It appears that we are desperately trying to hang-onto a language that is destined for extinction - Most children have a very negative attitude towards it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 7:54 pm

So nobody wants to learn Irish then? I don't think there is a point in forcing its translation for European Union purposes, by the way... ;)

DasObscure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2006, 9:35 pm

I'd love to learn Irish :) I met this girl when I was over in Dublin, and had her write down some phrases ^^ it sounds so beautiful...and well, I'm just another language-freak :D

I think it's really disturbing with the discrimination of that minority...I heard about an officer assaulting and arresting a woman for speaking Irish Gaelic publicly with her friend...now just how effed up is that?

Kevster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2006, 5:45 pm

I think Irish is more a political ploy than anything else. Politicians just see it as a way to gain votes. That ISN'T democracy - But that debate is for another day!

Irish girls rock (Although two of the four I have been with are foreign!)!

DasObscure

20 Dec 2006, 10:31 pm

Actually I think the whole modern concept of Democracy is plain BS. The idea of democracy is for everyone to be happy, which certainly isn't the case here.
That's why I intend not to get politically involved - it is too frustrating for me.

Kevster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Dec 2006, 4:13 pm

In truth I think that you and I would be unhappy under any form of government. our happiness is inherent and it is therefore life itself that is the problem. Things certainly can be tough for us but grab-on and never let go.