Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2012, 3:13 pm

I have an interview scheduled for Tuesday with a museum. I know all the basic tips like, dress nice, greet the interviewer with a smile and firm handshake, maintain appropriate eye contact and such. This isn't my first job but I don't have a plethra of work experience, this position is a little more professional, and I really need this job to be able stay in grad school so the pressure is pretty intense. Any one have any advice that could help me feel more prepaired?

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 4:32 pm

The best advice is to prepare for the more common questions. Angle your answers in a way that makes you stand out from the crowd. If the job is for something you have a special interest for you should focus on that. Having a special interest means you know a lot about this topic. And it often also means that you have a higher understanding of it than other people.

Also be prepared for answering questions about what you're not good at. But turn it into something positive. I usually say that I can get easily distracted by noises around me, but in return it means I am highly focused when I can isolate myself from all the noises.

Don't be afraid of boasting a bit about yourself, but don't overdo it. Just remember; you are a better candidate for this job than the other ones who applied. ; )

CarpeDiem
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Nov 2012, 4:49 pm

I think the previous answer has a lot of good advice. I would add that you should do a lot of research about the museum such as what types of exhibitions they hold or any planned for the future. If you have applied for a job there I would imagine you already have an interest so make sure it comes through in the interview. Don't be afraid to talk about your favourite parts of the museum and any special interests that are relevant, but be careful not to go on too much.

So much of an interview is decided by the enthuiasm the candidate shows and the knowledge they demonstrate. There is always going to be someone with more experience or more relevant experience so they key is selling yourself and demonstrating why you would be the best candidate over someone who is better on paper but just does not have the same interest and enthuiasm for the role.

Best of luck and fingers crossed you get the job.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:19 pm

Watch this video (it's about 21 minutes) - and watch the entire thing. The last five minutes are the most important. This is not about impressing others with your body language, it's about changing how you feel about yourself, and it works! Best wishes!

http://youtu.be/Ks-_Mh1QhMc

Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are