Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How would/do you feel about living alone?
Living alone is my ideal living arrangement, 69%  69%  [ 46 ]
It is not/would not be my preference to live alone. 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 67

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2006, 4:39 pm

Living alone is pure bliss! Now, if I only I could get further away from my neighbors... :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2006, 6:19 pm

Alone is good, but it's better with a pet. If I also have a good friend in the same city, that's best.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 6:58 pm

I love living alone. I can strip down to my undies, tempature permitting. I've stopped that, for the winter because it was getting too cold for me to do that. Now I wear shorts/boxers and a T-shirt. If I get too cold, I put some long sleves on, but keep wearing shorts.
I can wear my England stuff, all I want, and I won't get any grief from my strictly Canadian family members. I can fill my whole flat wiv me Routemaster replicas, and the only person that I'll have to answer that one to, is myself. I can allow myself to wear protective Pull-ups, when I feel that I need them, when I'm on my cycle, or if I have a bad Flu. I have a choice between watching Disney, and The Sunday Night Sex Show, and sometimes I switch back and forth. I can mourn the loss my my Routies, or celebrate by having Gin, four nights a week. I can STARE at me Routies, all I want. It's wonderful. :)

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 7:36 pm

I have lived alone and could do it again, but I realise that it's not the best solution for me. I tend to get worse about many things and I have difficulty accurately assessing myself if a depressive phase hits.
My current living situation is quite likely the optimal one for me. I live with my wife and kid and two cats and a mouse. My wife and eye keep an eye on each other (she's got a social anxiety disorder and I've got... well, psychotherapy-alphabet-soup), we have our routine and so on.
Rather enjoy it, actually.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 8:31 pm

The only reasons that it took me so long to move out, were because, I've become too attatched to my mum's sweet nature, when I've first gotten sick and depressed, and because I didn't know that I'd qualify for subsidized living. I would have moved out, in the Year 2000, at the age of 25, to mark the occasion of an interesting year, and I would have been able to manage my own Independence, at the age of 25. If I would have known, I would have taken the steps, than. The main thing is that I'm now enjoying my long-waited independence and freedom, with no troubles, at all. :D

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

17 Dec 2006, 8:33 pm

I'd probably be able to live fairly well alone, at least given the opportunity to own a dog or three. :) As long as I have a room of my own and copious amounts of time to myself I'm fairly versitile, although I didn't do too badly this summer when sharing a room for a week at the National Junior Classical League Convention. We'll see how I do in college.

mizkathy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2006, 9:16 pm

I couldn't live alone, I am prone to starving myself and self-injury and my roomate helps keep me from doing that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 4:26 pm

I could theoretically live alone. If I were in a relationship, I would live with my partner.

The drawback is that the only colleges I can get into and can afford are located in very socially conservative parts of the U.S.--places like Houston, Texas and Boise, Idaho--where almost everybody is expected to wait until marriage before living together.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2006, 6:28 pm

SpaceCase wrote:
I would like to live with a partner(and maybe a few children)who knows when to back off.

BUT,if I had to choose between living with my parents or living alone forever,I'd much rather live alone forever.

-SpaceCase

I totally agree with you Space Case

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 6:57 pm

Living alone used to be a real fear of mine, and I was so sure I would never manage it, yet I have managed better living alone than I ever did living with my mother or my ex. I felt engulfed and trapped when I was with them. Of course, I do fantasise about finding a soulmate with whom I can share myself, but I just dont think the reality would work out as I have such issues with prolonged periods of intimacy. I do get very lonely at times, yes, but other times, I love getting back to my room and being able to do what I want, when I want. I have lived alone since oct 2004 now.

Warren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2006, 8:34 pm

I would prefer to live with an understanding partner who knows when i need to be alone.

Otherwise totally alone.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2006, 8:42 pm

Warren wrote:
I would prefer to live with an understanding partner who knows when i need to be alone.

Otherwise totally alone.

Ditto.

I did live alone at one point in my life, and I found the quiet both nice.. but also lonely in a strange sort of way. When you DO want to say hello to someone, there is no one there.

In retrospect, living with a couple of students and my brother worked out very well indeed... it was a very nice combination, and they never really questioned my solitary behaviour.

Warren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2006, 8:46 pm

JJ where in hampshire are you living?? I am living in Portsmouth.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2006, 8:50 pm

Fareham. You're pretty close.

Warren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2006, 8:53 pm

Indeed, I was based in HMS Collingwood until october when i went to the mental hospital, and currently attend haslar hospital daily.

Grew up in Portsmouth area as well.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2006, 8:55 pm

I've been in Fareham since age 4 or so. HMS collingwood... is that the one next to B&Q, or the one on portsdown? (my memory isn't that good of HMS basis)