Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Goshey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm

There are things in Tibetan culture called Tulpa would anyone agree that this is the same as an imaginary friend or not? People seem to think these creations are bad spirited... but looking at imaginary friends and kids it seems to be exactly the same thing.
any thoughts about that

NocturnalLament
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2013, 1:41 am

I have schizophrenia, so I guess this isn't the same thing. I have two good hallucinations/imaginary friends called Amy and Winifred Stuart Baxter that help me out when I'm in pain or struggling to cope. My psych said I my brain created these characters as a coping strategy, so I guess it is similar to your situation (except I actually see my imaginary friends).

Your Aspie score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 24 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

elsing
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm

This is something I have never admitted before, more and more I can relate to others on this forum, more than ever before.

My whole life I have a had set of made up characters, they interact with each other, I am never part of their world, they are never directly part of mine. I couldn't and wouldn't want to imagine a life without them.

Can you call these friends, I'm not sure, but I have certainly explored emotions and issues and special interests of my own life by allowing these characters to experience my emotions and issues and special interests in their imaginary lives. Normally when I become obbsesed with a subject it is because I have given one of them a story line linked to the subject.

I don't think any of this is dangerous so long as you are in control and this friend is not in control of you, otherwise this could be indicative of some else.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 6:22 pm

meems wrote:
I didn't have imaginary friends as a kid, but I. chose really odd inanimate objects to name and carry around as if it were a pet. Once it was a log and my Hubby wrapped it in plastic so I could keep it inside at night. :|

Now I pick imaginary things. Someone sent me a shopped picture of a unicorn and Obama riding it. So to amuse myself I gave it a title "Fartblast Dillinger, Barack Obama's alleged pet unicorn." and I talk to myself out loud A LOT, so I've been phrasing things as though I were talking to Fartblast.

It's all in my imagination and I understand that, I think as long as you know you are responsible for what you say/do then these things are harmless.

When I'm in my room alone, I sometimes see myself cussing out loud and calling out the names of random people I know or have met.

Embarrasses the hell out of me.

EMajination
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2015, 3:36 pm

It depends on the situation. And that is at ANY age.

Imaginary friends are a sign of creativity and can be a healthy coping mechanism at any age, especially if you have been abused or have lost a friend. In few cases, they could turn out to be angels sent by God or manifestations of his Holy Spirit. :) They can be scapegoats for bad things that were done to you, like Christ is the scapegoat for remorseful sinners.

But one should never use imaginary friends to escape consequences or get away with a crime. :!:

Also be careful if you see them with your physical eyes or start "hearing voices" or have paranormal experiences. :twisted: In situations like these, they just might be evil spirits and must be cast out of your home, with the help of a deliverance minister.

Adults who have imaginary friends should NEVER be treated like garbage. Treat us with respect. We are human too, even if we have imaginary friends at an advanced age. :heart:

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

I never really had imaginary friends, but rather, I have recurring emotional episodes where my tether from earth is cut for a few minutes and I wander off into my head. Basically, billions of dreams and memories flood me and I can't help but immerse myself in them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 12:20 am

I don't think it's dangerous because you know she's not real and is imaginary. She's a comfort thought for you. Imagining she's there or wishing she's there or even pretending she's there sometimes is probably all ok as long as you are always completely aware that she's just a made up figment in your mind.

I have something similar, and if you enjoy imagining her, you might want to try this. After I quit writing for the paper I decided to try my hand at a book. I thought up my characters and my story line and started. Thats when I found out I hated writing fiction so I quit and tossed it. However, I had some really cool, very detailed characters. I had one central protagonist who I gave lots of quirks and personality traits to that I would enjoy in a another person. He had to be likable if the story I had envisioned was going to work. At first I thought it was a shame I didn't like it and if I ever tried again I would use him in a book or even a short story. I started thinking up story lines at night while falling asleep, which was always when I thought about my writing. Every night I'd add more to it and eventually it just turned into visualizing this guys story in my head and I'd make up more as he went along. It's pretty fun and I still do it from time to time. Depending on what I'm in the mood for I'll cast him in different roles and genres and it's interesting.

I don''t pretend that he's here or that he''s real but I have caught myself thinking how would he get out of some bad or hopeless situation that I'm stuck in at the moment. I'll lay down to go to sleep and just imagine him in some situation like I'm stuck in and let my mind just create the story and sometimes it shows me what I should do when i think up a resolution storyline out of the blue.

It's kind of fun. Way more fun than I had with my actual imaginary friend when I was a kid. Give it a try if you want.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com