Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Carl_LaFong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2012, 12:55 am

Not sure if this will be helpful. Robert Bly's book The Sibling Society has a few pages on imaginary companions. In chapter seven he discusses the Lofty Companion. For the most part it sounds like a healthy phase for a child or teen to go through. An "agency of aspiration." The downsides are that it can lead to isolation or perfectionism.

In hindsight I think an imaginary friend would have been good for me at that age- that is, if it or he would have helped guide me toward more awareness of my mental problems, toward caution with regard to emotions, toward basic long term smarts. In short, how to be a decent person.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 1:41 pm

I didn't have imaginary friends as a kid, but I. chose really odd inanimate objects to name and carry around as if it were a pet. Once it was a log and my Hubby wrapped it in plastic so I could keep it inside at night. :|

Now I pick imaginary things. Someone sent me a shopped picture of a unicorn and Obama riding it. So to amuse myself I gave it a title "Fartblast Dillinger, Barack Obama's alleged pet unicorn." and I talk to myself out loud A LOT, so I've been phrasing things as though I were talking to Fartblast.

It's all in my imagination and I understand that, I think as long as you know you are responsible for what you say/do then these things are harmless.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 2:42 pm

meems wrote:
I didn't have imaginary friends as a kid, but I. chose really odd inanimate objects to name and carry around as if it were a pet. Once it was a log and my Hubby wrapped it in plastic so I could keep it inside at night.

It reminds me of the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks, and how he named the soccer ball as "Wilson".

meems
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 4:31 pm

When I saw that movie I cried during the scene in which Wilson floats out of reach. It made me think of my log haha.

My phone changed bubby to hubby. So, correction, I was not a child bride.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 2:48 pm

meems wrote:
When I saw that movie I cried during the scene in which Wilson floats out of reach. It made me think of my log haha.

The image of someone carrying around a pet log wrapped in plastic is pretty humorous. :lol: But what's a 'bubby' ?

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 3:17 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
meems wrote:

The image of someone carrying around a pet log wrapped in plastic is pretty humorous. :lol: But what's a 'bubby' ?

Yeah, we wanna know! :P

meems
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 10:37 pm

Bubby is just a Yiddish word for grandmother. I think it only applies to the paternal grandmother.

She was very patient about the log. :)

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 6:29 am

meems wrote:
Bubby is just a Yiddish word for grandmother. I think it only applies to the paternal grandmother.

Awwww! :heart:

verlorenModus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

when i was a kid i had two imaginary friends... and they would only play with each other.

AspieOtaku wrote:
What if the imaginary friend is a demon?

why does that remind me of a ST:TNG episode...

Quote:
Once it was a log and my Hubby wrapped it in plastic so I could keep it inside at night.

Twin Peaks?

i think as long as you remember that this friend IS imaginary and therefore doesnt have any power over you its all good.
talking to your self isnt nuts, forgetting that it is yourself you are talking to is nuts.

IChris
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2012, 8:09 am

As long as you are in control, they should not pose any problem. My imaginary friends have always been supportive, but not always in agreement with me. I control when I consult them and if I want to follow their advice and have never had any problem.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:38 am

I love this childhood story told by the US actor Ian Somerhalder. He does not have AS, but he said he had one imaginary friend when he was very little. He said that he called him Ian and he was a carbon copy of him. They did everything together, played together, read together, stole from the fridge together :-) One day, Ian´s mom bought a whole packet of chewing gums. (The real) Ian asked if his imaginary friend can have some. Mom said: "OK, but only after dinner." But her son did not care about the order, of course, and stole the whole packet. When his mother was looking for him outside, she found Ian sitting behind the barn with the mouth full of the chewing gums. He looked like a hamster. His mom got angry and said: "Wait, young man! I thought you will save the gums for your imaginary friend!" And Ian grinned and said: "NO, my friend Ian does not like this kind." :lol:

I thought this story was kinda funny.

operationpaperclip
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2012, 9:06 am

Can't go wrong with demons.

AGX-15
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Dec 2012, 4:02 am

Why not put this character to pen and paper/keyboard and HD? It may be worthwhile. Unless it's Carmen Sandiego, then it would be restricted to fanfiction or copyright litigation.

romarioL
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2012, 9:24 am

I have a friend which has many problems about imaginary friends and strange vissions I don't think she is a squizophrenic or something like it , but she does not want any help. I think that imaginary friends are not so dangerous, but when they are governing our lives in a way that becomes difficult to spearate real life from imaginary it triggers serious consequences to our lives.
But if is easy to you undertand that it is not real and you can life quite good about your imaginary friend I think it is not a problem

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 10:33 am

My psychiatrist is my imaginary friend.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 10:45 am

meems wrote:

I was attached to a wooden stick like that for a long time, he was called Willhelm and we had to go back the next day to fetch him from where we hid him as my parents told me I couldn't take him home. I still have one of the drawings I made of me with my stick (and lots of love hearts on the page).