Why do so many people think that abortion is acceptable?

Page 3 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 4:52 pm

Jacoby wrote:
That's a very interesting response. 3/3 of people that have responded to this so far seem to agree that men shouldn't have to pay child support. I can at least respect this view even tho I don't necessarily agree with it as it is consistent.

Well, reproduction is one of those areas that men and women are not equal by virtue of biology. Most attempts by governing authorities to "equalize" things just seem to bugger things up worse.

If it came down to choosing either my legal right to get an abortion, or a legal right to demand financial responsibility from fathers, I'll take the former.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 10:27 am

robo37 wrote:
I mean imagine this for second, imagine your mother had an abortion.

- You would never had been able to experiance the world around you.

I wish my mother had an abortion.

I've been chronically ill my whole life, slowly getting worse. I'm 27 a year old male and less than 110 lbs. I'm terminal. After February 6, 2016, when euthanasia becomes legal in canada, with the help of "Dying With Dignity," who I have been in contact with, and I'll make sure my doctor (or another one) finishes the job.

I wish I had never been born. I'm sure there are many on this site who feel the same way.

I've had friends, who were unwanted by society, eventually die from drugs and alcohol. The ones that aren't dead are missing. They wish their moms had aborted them too.

LIFE WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR EVERYONE.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 3:22 pm

I think the decision to abort is a horrible one that every woman can make for herself whether or not you want them to.

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2015, 3:29 pm

Because it's someone else's personal choice. That's why. Unless it's you own f-ing uterus, you really don't have the right to do any more than have an opinion.

This whole issue IMO had always revolved around control, not "ethics". Always implying that somehow, women are not to be given responsibility over their own goddamn reproductive systems.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 3:38 pm

D0gbert wrote:
Because it's someone else's personal choice. That's why. Unless it's you own f-ing uterus, you really don't have the right to do any more than have an opinion.

This whole issue IMO had always revolved around control, not "ethics". Always implying that somehow, women are not to be given responsibility over their own goddamn reproductive systems.

And history shows that banning it just means that people will have it done by some sketchy veterinarian at best.

There are larger issues at play, such as poverty, health care, and education.

Studies also show that women facing an unwanted pregnancy almost never seriously consider giving the child up for adoption. In almost all cases, the decision they make is between keeping the child and aborting.

Most of them don't have the resources, social support network, or time to raise a child. And then child protective services ends up taking them away after a few years and they end up in the foster system, which is hardly a winning horse.

The twisted part is that there is absolutely no shortage of qualified prospective parents who want to adopt an infant. Granted, most of them want a lighter-skinned infant, but the demand is there.

Hardly anybody wants to adopt a 6 year old with emotional and behavioral issues and a non-custodial parent standing in the way.

I don't know how to fix that situation.

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2015, 3:47 pm

Wait, which geographical location are we discussing this... problem? Because I know that some countries had f***-all when it comes to social security, so some women opt to make this (difficult) choice... because they simply can't afford the child...

Plus a splattering of irrational "religion trumps your human rights" thing...

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 3:53 pm

Species5618 wrote:
So you think it's in any way acceptable to force a raped woman to go through 9 months of all kinds of physical and emotional problems only to end up with a child that will continue to remind them of the rape? Every time the child asks about his dad (or when someone else asks), the woman is reminded of the rape. Let the victims just put the past behind them and have a child with a partner they love, if they want to.

^This. You have no right to tell a woman who has been raped what she should do if she becomes pregnant from that rape, that is her choice and nothing you think can change that. You as a male will never experience pregnancy or being raped in a way that could lead to you becoming pregnant, so you have no horse in this race.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 11:22 pm

There are way too many unwanted kids in the world. The foster care system is over crowded, babies in orphanages are being neglected, kids grow up to be criminals and violent so they either end up in prison or in institutions due to severe neglect and abuse happens in the foster system and lot of them treat their home like a business so it's not like the kid has a home so them going from one home to another just messes them up so why even put them through it. If more people used birth control or had more abortions, there would be less violent people and kids in the world.

Also someone having a baby they didn't want but felt "forced" to also can lead to the kid being abused so I believe in abortions.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:04 am

League_Girl wrote:
There are way too many unwanted kids in the world. The foster care system is over crowded, babies in orphanages are being neglected, kids grow up to be criminals and violent so they either end up in prison or in institutions due to severe neglect and abuse happens in the foster system and lot of them treat their home like a business so it's not like the kid has a home so them going from one home to another just messes them up so why even put them through it. If more people used birth control or had more abortions, there would be less violent people and kids in the world.

Also someone having a baby they didn't want but felt "forced" to also can lead to the kid being abused so I believe in abortions.

exactly.

If only Rand Paul and Alex Jones, who are otherwise rational people, would agree with us.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:29 am

One time a stuck-up woman told me that there are a lot of unwanted pregnancies. I told her that the best way not to have an unwanted pregnancy is to use a condom. I could have gone the other way and told her that people who don't like handicapped people shouldn't have sex, but I decided not to throw the pearls to the swine.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:42 am

I do not want a child and I don't want to take on the health risks which go along with pregnancy, so basically I wouldn't want to be forced to endure a full pregnancy or give birth. Also beings the vast majority of abortions occur before the clump of cells turns into a baby...even a Plan B or morning after pill is technically considered an abortion there is nothing to say said sperm, clump of cells, embroyo is actually going to develop into a person. I would not hesitate to take a morning after pill if there was a risk other birth control methods had not worked.

Also I do drink alcohol and I smoke cigarettes which could cause problems.

If abortion was literally ripping living, conscious babies from their mothers wombs than I might have a problem with it...but the vast majority are nothing like that and any that more resemble that probably have to do with medical emergencies where they cannot save both.

Sure I am glad I was born, but I am a conscious and aware being...at the stage of clump of cells I was not, don't think it would matter to me if I never existed since I wouldn't have existed. As for the discussion of rape, well its not for anyone aside for the woman it happens to, to decide if she feels going on to have the baby or not is the best route should it result in a pregnancy.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 03 Nov 2015, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:44 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
One time a stuck-up woman told me that there are a lot of unwanted pregnancies. I told her that the best way not to have an unwanted pregnancy is to use a condom. I could have gone the other way and told her that people who don't like handicapped people shouldn't have sex, but I decided not to throw the pearls to the swine.

Condoms can break.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:47 am

Because bringing yet child into a world where the parents are not financially, mentally, or physically able give it the love and care it needs is very likely worse than not letting it be born at all. Safer sex is not 100% safe, condoms break, women forget to take The Pill. The only safe sex is none at all. People may have deadly diseases running in their family that the baby might get, the mother might have a life-threatening illness herself and needs to take medication that could harm the baby, but in many if not most cases, the parents are just plain idiots and should have never allowed to reproduce. Look at the news.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad my parents had me, in spite of everything that sucks about the human race in general. But I'd rather die than become pregnant, which for me would probably only happen if I was raped. Some people are not meant to ever have children, I am one of them, and unlike many I actually know and accept that.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:55 am

If you don't believe in abortions, don't have one.

I am so over being lectured about this s**t. I carried a baby inside me for nine months, did you? No? Then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Pro-lifers seem to live in this fantasy world where women don't die in childbirth, people have enough money and family resources to take care of their children, a child that is the product of rape is a blessing for the mother, men would love to father the child of a rapist, adoptions go swimmingly...... Where do all these fantasies come from?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:02 pm

robo37 wrote:

So what if I'm 18 years old and male, that doesn't mean that my opinions don't matter. I have the upmost sympathy for the rape victims and am not misvaluing how real it is and am in no way claiming it to be anything other than a vile and discusting crime, but that is entirely different to saying that entitles them the power to choose whether something live or dies.

People choose whether 'somethings' live or die every damn day...the only reason people get so worked up over abortion is because these are 'things' that could become a human life. Because many people have it ingrained in them that humans are some how the most precious and special thing in the universe. People kill bugs, plants, animals and many other 'things' cleaning kills bacteria and bacteria are things.

If I got raped I would end the pregnancy one way or the other, best there is a safe route available so I don't have to try and force a miscarriage. I wouldn't go as far as a coat hanger or paying some shady nonprofessionals to do the procedure in hiding but I would probably greatly risk my health trying to cause that miscarriage.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 7:10 pm

There's always the option of celibacy.