Why do so many people think that abortion is acceptable?

Page 1 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 10:42 am

I've heard the "would you like being aborted" argument a lot of times. My answer is quite simple; by the time abortions are usually done, the embryo or the fetus is not yet a sentient being. So I would have simply not existed, and there would be nothing to feel bad about because there would be nobody there to feel bad.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 11:57 am

In 4 dimensional reality once conception takes place a sentient being is created.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 11:58 am

to prohibit abortion is to prohibit a woman's control over her own body.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 11:59 am

androbot2084 wrote:
In 4 dimensional reality once conception takes place a sentient being is created.

What?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

What?

In a block 4 d spacetime universe the future the present and the past all coexist.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

What?

In a block 4 d spacetime universe the future the present and the past all coexist.

ruveyn

I can't believe pro lifers are using Hawking physics to validate their argument.

Irony overload.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:32 pm

Because you believe that Pro-Lifers are against science.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:33 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Because you believe that Pro-Lifers are against science.

Hawking and his contemporaries work largely on the basis that god does not exist.

Pro-Lifers by in large, are theists.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 12:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

What?

ruveyn

Could it be argued that if the pregnancy is terminated, then in the future that child will not exist and thus not be sentient and thus the conceived being isn't sentient either?

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:15 pm

Not the best of videos but I really don't understand how anyone can think this is morally correct...

How abortions kill the baby

Edit: better one from a professional - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Vvfckoq8w

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

Fetuses are not conscious beings. Humans typically become conscious beings at the age of 3. Sometimes they are earlier, but they are never conscious as a fetus.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 4:00 pm

It comes down to two things IMHO:

1. If it doesn't have a brain, it doesn't count. If we ascribe "sentience" to something without a brain, we might as well ascribe it to rocks and trees.

2. I'm a woman. I object to any and all notions to my body, or any part of my body, is "owned" and subject to regulation by any entity other than myself.

Badda-bing, badda-boom.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

1. If it doesn't have a brain, it doesn't count. If we ascribe "sentience" to something without a brain, we might as well ascribe it to rocks and trees.

2. I'm a woman. I object to any and all notions to my body, or any part of my body, is "owned" and subject to regulation by any entity other than myself.

Badda-bing, badda-boom.

The definition of "sentient":

"Able to perceive or feel things," or a better version would be "able to react to stimuli".

Rocks aren't sentient, but many plants (if not all) certainly are. So are micro-organisms.

You will reap what you've sown.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Nov 2012, 4:25 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Abortion in cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother you can morally justify in my opinion but I don't think that is case in the majority abortions.

I've thought about abortion a lot recently, I think what people forget there isn't just one party to it. You have the mother but there is also the father and most importantly the child whose life hangs in the balance. A man can't force a woman to get an abortion but we as a society demand that he supports that child. We accept this level of personal responsibility for ones actions, why can't we ask the same for a woman that becomes pregnant thru consensual means? It seems only consistent. If you believe that a woman should be able to wash her hands of her unborn child then why can't a man do the same? At least in the case of the man you aren't taking a life.

I hate to quote myself and I appreciate the response Species5618 but I don't want this get buried. I think its a sound argument and I would like to hear what people think of it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

abacacus wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Badda-bing, badda-boom.

The definition of "sentient":

"Able to perceive or feel things," or a better version would be "able to react to stimuli".

Rocks aren't sentient, but many plants (if not all) certainly are. So are micro-organisms.

I was primarily referring to #1. Of course, if it doesn't have a brain, it can't do #2 either. As for plants, we know they react to sensory stimuli; we don't know how or if they "perceive" it.

Quote:
sentience or sentiency (ˈsɛnʃəns)

— n
1. the state or quality of being sentient; awareness
2. sense perception not involving intelligence or mental perception; feeling

However, to avoid semantic debates, let me rephrase to "consciousness," or "self-awareness.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 4:32 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Abortion in cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother you can morally justify in my opinion but I don't think that is case in the majority abortions.

I've thought about abortion a lot recently, I think what people forget there isn't just one party to it. You have the mother but there is also the father and most importantly the child whose life hangs in the balance. A man can't force a woman to get an abortion but we as a society demand that he supports that child. We accept this level of personal responsibility for ones actions, why can't we ask the same for a woman that becomes pregnant thru consensual means? It seems only consistent. If you believe that a woman should be able to wash her hands of her unborn child then why can't a man do the same? At least in the case of the man you aren't taking a life.

I hate to quote myself and I appreciate the response Species5618 but I don't want this get buried. I think its a sound argument and I would like to hear what people think of it.

FYI: I wouldn't have a problem giving child support laws the boot.