Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2012, 1:49 am

tourettebassist wrote:
Hugh Laurie of House is, in reality, an Aspie

It wouldn't surprise me if the character House had AS... quirky fella that he is.

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2012, 2:58 pm

Doc Martin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6VO_6EokkA[/youtube] The episode is called "City Slickers." A fancy-schmancy shrink tells Doc Martin he has Aspergers, starting around 12:31. I love Martin's reaction!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Nov 2012, 5:47 pm

[Moved from Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation to Television, Film, and Video]

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 7:20 pm

I always suspected rimmer from red dwalf. 8)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 12:23 am

sErgEantaEgis wrote:
I don't know about these shows, but Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic seems like a rather positive portrayal of light Asperger Syndrome, though that might be wishful thinking on my part.

She definitely either has that or OCPD or something along those lines.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 7:20 am

Solvejg wrote:
I always suspected rimmer from red dwalf. 8)
Me too. Well, now that I'm rewatching the episodes, it does seem like that. I'm actually very sad that the others think he's a 'smeghead'. He's just misunderstood.

A more blatant one is Moss from the IT Crowd.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 12:51 pm

Saga Noren in the excellent Danish crime drama The Bridge http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... rview.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 6:36 am

Law And Order: Criminal Intent.
Vincent D'Onofrio's character, Detective Goren, has the encyclopedic knowledge and recall of an Aspie. And in fact, in an episode where a murderer turns out to have Asperger's, I believe Goren says he's on the spectrum. Though his ability to read people and their psychological motives makes it highly unlikely in the real world.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 6:09 pm

The only characters I'm aware of from mainstream TV that were acknowledged to have AS are the alternate-universe version of Astrid from Fringe, and Jerry from Boston Legal. Jerry was real enough or enough like me that when they said he had AS I looked it up and realized I probably had it too.

Einschmidt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2012, 7:57 pm

One word: Temperance Brennan :wink:

1062651stAvenue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2012, 2:07 am

I've posted before, that Dr Dylan Keogh is absolutely definitely an Aspie (In Casualty, UK). Though in his character depiction on the Casualty website, there's no mention of AS. I think they must be saving it for a really big storyline. For example, look at his low emotional intellegence at the moment with the lady who's interested in him, that has a dog, like him. She couldn't do more to say she wants to get to know him better - and then he turns around and says that it'll never work out. My bet is that they get it together, and then he finds he's got AS - up to now, he's undiagnosed. I think it is a sympathetic portrayal, and so I feel positive about it.

If anyone has views, love to hear them.

:D

:D :D :D

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

I've recently started watching Big Bang Theory because one of my carers said I reminded her of Sheldon! I asked her what she meant and she said because you speak really intelligently but you're also socially naive! The writers of BBT have insisted that Sheldon was NOT based on a person with AS, however the actor who plays Sheldon has said that he read John Elder Robinson's book 'look me in the eye' and used some of the things he read about in his role as Sheldon so there is a little bit of AS represented in there! What I think is a shame though is that you get quite a lot of characters who blatently have AS or some other condition but it is not mentioned. If it was then perhaps people would be more accepting of people who were different or is that just wishful thinking?

On the other hand I have noticed that characters who are diagnosed with AS are often far too stereotypical and 'textbook' to be realistic.

Also Rimmer is definitely on my list of suspects... Anyone remember his holiday to see the pipes and he bores everyone to death with his photos?

DoctorDonna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2012, 4:51 pm

Einschmidt wrote:
One word: Temperance Brennan :wink:

So true! Watching Bones really helped me understand the opportunities open to Aspies.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

Don't know of any character on TV who is explicitly stated on the show as having aspergers (except maybe the character on boston someone mentioned. Have watched the show occasionally but have not seen that character so described on the show).

House is definetly NOT an aspie. He is too socially aware.

The girl in bones, and sheldon, do seem very aspie like.

But in my opinion the best drawn aspie character on TV (though also not actually stated as such in the show) is the little boy named "Brick" in the show "The Middle".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 10:50 pm

Bull Shannon in Night Court.
Bull genuinely seems awkward and uncomprehending in social situations, and yet, from time to time, he seems genuinely ingenious and insightful.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm

Half the cast of Chad Vader.