Is there a link between Aspergers and MS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

sam-hinch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2012, 3:28 pm

My mother has MS and I have Aspergers. Are they connected?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 3:32 pm

Only by the umbilical cord. I suggest you have it severed right away.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sam-hinch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

Fnord wrote:

Ha, does that mean not likely?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 3:42 pm

sam-hinch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Ha, does that mean not likely?

You got it in one. There seems to be no valid evidence to support any claim that AS and MS have a causal connection.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 5:39 pm

I doubt it. I only know one person in my family with MS, and it is not the same side of the family where I believe autism to have come from.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 6:11 pm

Actually there may be a link.

One of the theories of autism (of which there are admittedly many) is that it is (in some cases) triggered by maternal antibodies when a woman has an autoimmune disease (latent or clinically evident) and is pregnant.

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/viewp ... -in-autism

Quote:
The possibility that autoimmune mechanisms are a contributing factor in autism spectrum disorders has been entertained for decades, ever since early studies suggested that individuals with autism have a family history of autoimmune disease1,2.

MS is an autoimmune disease. This theory supports a woman with an autoimmune disease being more likely to have an autistic child.

It is not MS specifically. It is the fact of a maternal autoimmune disease, evidence of a hyped-up maternal immune system capable of making antibodies against some part of the developing fetus's brain.

Autoimmune diseases have always been with us in some degree. And so has autism. Now both are increasing in parallel. It may be that the increase in autoimmune diseases (caused by enviromental factors) is the driving force behind the increase in autism.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm

No, I have cousins who have MS and are 100,000,000% NT.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm

I have an autoimmune disease, but my parents don't, but I think that my aunt has the same autoimmune disease, and my grandmother had severe asthma, and my father has many autistic traits.

cynthias
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2012, 2:29 am

there is science behind gluten intolerance (with or without celiac disease). Gluten intolerance is very common among aspies and other autistics. Also, there is an overlap in MS symptoms and gluten intolerance symptoms. the research in non-celiac gluten intolerance is still developing. However, the blood tests for both CD and non-CD types exist. good luck.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 4:35 pm

This study suggests there might be:

http://jcn.sagepub.com/content/14/6/388.short

However, I wasn't able to find any studies replicating that finding, so it could be just chance.

Jarrod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2017, 11:57 am

I have both primary progressive multiple sclerosis and Asperger syndrome. I have been Aspie all my life, MS came quite a bit later. I do not believe they are linked. I was a breach birth to a mother that died of lung cancer.

I believe with all my intellectual being that the venous insufficiency to my left jugular vein to be the sole cause of MS. In 2010 I was cured of MS for nearly a year by undergoing angioplasty on what was then both my narrowed jugulars. Alas my left jugular renarrowed within a year and thanks to a twist in the vein, it is unsafe to place a stent.

CCSVI was dropped on the world with sensationalism so the research has taken a back seat for a while. The recent Statins revelation as a damage limitation treatment for PPMS simply adds weight to the CCSVI theory. Statins are a blood thinner! The CCSVI theory will be back soon.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:11 pm

This thread is 5 years old.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:
This thread is 5 years old.

You never know- I looked at old threads like these before I joined here and it helped me learn a lot :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:43 am

There is a link between autoimmune disease and autism, MS is considered autoimmune.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3115699/

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:03 am

My sister has primary progressive MS (late stage) and she is neurotypical.