Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

351Boss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

Here in OZ were dealing with drought and flood... at the same time on oppsite sides of the country!!
But but we have generally mild winters. Where I live a cold day is 10 deg C but a hot day, like today is 40 deg C. For me I could never get why confine horses like they do in the "cold" countries, surely it does their heads in? (BTW do I understand it, but I don't think I'd have horses if they couldn't be just horses under my care)

We have our in paddocks 24/7 they graze all year round and there's pasture all year round although it dries off somewhat in summer. We do have acreage that is reticulated by ground water in summer so there's always green pick.

The ground obviously never freezes so our "winter grass" grows actively and early spring it's ready for hay and sometimes a second crop if we get rain by summer. We don't need to crop hence ours are out all year.

We also don't have hunters:o) They need permits and generally most of our hunters shoot to eradicate introduced vermin in areas where they are competing with farmers on the large sheep and cattle stations (million acres plus) "Up North"

I actually had the farrier in yesterday to shoe the big fella's, it was hot so I gave them a hose down, a trim and washed their manes and tails. I think they appreciated the freshen up as they've had a short holiday after xmas and were pretty grotty and shabby looking.

It does suck though on those days when say I have a job with the horses and it is 40 deg C or raining cats and dogs equally, you just have to deal.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

In case anyone who had been following this thread is still around. Or in case anyone new is a horse junkie I figured I'd post an update. It's almost time for the Mason Run 4-H benefit show again. There's a 1% chance I may compete and a 98% chance I will be there to work the show. So as long as my health holds up, I will be attending the show saturday. My current charge is a retired show hunter. His name is Rusty (show name "The Celebrity") and he is 35 years old. He wouldn't be the horse I would compete with, he is deservedly retired from the show ring. He does, however, still enjoy going for rides in the ring and on the trail. He likes to walk, trot, and canter. He had been sitting idle in retirement for a while, but his owner felt he wasn't handling that type of retirement well. Now we are BFF's. Every week he gets stronger and more annoying which is a good thing in my opinion. He is in to everything! Everybody's stuff exists only to entertain him. He searches everything for treats. He seems to believe he is entitled. Did I mention he was a Champion show hunter. Champions in every sport get big egos I guess. So that's what I've been up to. Anyone else?

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"