Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Saralicia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

I have volunteered at a hippotherapy clinic and the speech therapist (also a family friend) figured that I probably had Asperger's based on how comfortable I was with the horses but I often struggled with what I ought to do around the people.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2012, 7:29 pm

Saralicia wrote:
I have volunteered at a hippotherapy clinic and the speech therapist (also a family friend) figured that I probably had Asperger's based on how comfortable I was with the horses but I often struggled with what I ought to do around the people.

so you feel more comfortable around horses than people....? so interesting. i have been feeling like asperger's interferes with being around horses, but gives me a sixth sense when it comes to cats. how are you with cats? but then i'm starting to see that it might be the case that the more i'm able to remove the influence of other people's expectations, the more in tune i feel with horses.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 9:55 pm

Today my aspie one track mindedness paid off. I was able to get the thoroughbred I was going to ride to let me catch him after about 30 minutes of parelli-type horsemanship tactics. NO GRAIN! He was really nice to ride too. I'm so glad I stuck with it, even if it did mean riding after almost everyone else had gone. (He's an OTTB named Diego, and he's cute. :D )

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2012, 6:59 pm

parelli tactics?? i'm definitely a fan. = ) so how did you catch him? we find a pause and retreat often works to get their curiosity to walk up to us. is that what you did? i'm always interested in different training techniques and so curious as to how you did it..... ; )

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 8:40 pm

LizNY wrote:
parelli tactics?? i'm definitely a fan. = ) so how did you catch him? we find a pause and retreat often works to get their curiosity to walk up to us. is that what you did? i'm always interested in different training techniques and so curious as to how you did it..... ; )

It was kind of a hybrid pause and reward and join-up type thing. Basically he was only allowed to rest when he was within a certain distance of me. As long as he was farther away than that he had to keep moving, even if it was just a walk. When he came close enough to reach for a cookie and he let me pet him on the nose he could rest. Eventually he moved towards a smaller enclosure where the outdoor stalls for his paddock are. I went in there with him and closed the gate. He did almost panic a bit at first and I had to play "keep away from the butt end" for a while, but then he settled. When he was calm and it was safe for me to do so, I just stood near him and leaned on the fence. Eventually he let me pet him on the neck and shoulder, then he let me pet his face. That's when I went to the lead rope over his neck. When he was ok with that I unbuckled the crown piece of his halter (someone told me he didn't like his ears messed with) and he let me put it on him. He
greeted by blowing on me with his nostrils. I returned the gesture by blowing back in his. From then on he was so good. in the cross ties he even wrapped his head around me. Nothing makes me happier than when patience is used with horses and seeds are planted for a bond.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

<3

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2012, 3:04 pm

Oh sounds like a lot of patience. = ) So do you find a lot of OTTBs are headshy? My new horse is, but I've only worked with a few OTTBs. She is much better now after a lot of reassurance during every session and some linda parelli bridling practice, but still not very trusting.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 6:51 pm

The only thing I've noticed is that they are all different. :) Is your mare headshy or having a problem bridling? I have noticed that many of them do not like their ears messed with. I'm working on a design for a bridle that can be easily undone and re done at the crown piece without messing with the cavesson or cheek pieces. One OTTB at the farm detests the crown piece of either his bridle or halter going over his ears. The funny thing is that they seem just fine with petting their faces, cheeks, necks, and foreheads. Just not the ears. I'd love to spend some time on the backside at the local racetrack to see just what their lives had been like before retirement.
I have noticed that they are a lot like foals with some things. I have had a lot of success with OTTB's and youngsters by showing them everything, especially during grooming. I let them sniff everything. Every brush, hoofpick, and spray. I show them the saddle and bridle. Some people think I coddle them, but it doesn't last forever. In time They don't show as much interest in everything, but it seems that knowing they have the freedom to examine things helps build trust. I't's pretty funny, but even the 10 year old quarter pony, Star, has a few things she insists on inspecting every time before I use them. The liniment in particular, lol.
How long have you had your mare? What is her name? Have you researched her on equibase? The filly I helped to start is currently racing. You can find her on equibase under Somebunnypinchme.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm

My new horse is 4 yrs old and retired after just two races due to an injury as a 2yr old. She is completely fine with haltering and much much better with bridling now. I've only had her for a few months and we are making progress. She used to jerk her head away from the bridle and then hold her head up high and toss her head during the process which of course resulted in the bit hitting her teeth. So I followed linda parallei's trick with a treat to get her to reach down for the bit. So now she reaches her head down and takes the bit without a problem. She also jerked her head away anytime someone reached their hand up to fix her forelock or brush her neck or something. She is getting much better with that as well from better handling or from not being abused or whatever ya wanna call it. She just acts like she was hit in the head before and had horrendous bridling experiences. We have other OTTBs in the barn but they were retrained and shown before they got to us. I've worked with different rescue horses but never a horse who knows racing and not much else. so a lot of new territory for me. ; ) I was just wondering what you had seen from working with many of them.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

LizNY wrote:
My new horse is 4 yrs old and retired after just two races due to an injury as a 2yr old. She is completely fine with haltering and much much better with bridling now. I've only had her for a few months and we are making progress. She used to jerk her head away from the bridle and then hold her head up high and toss her head during the process which of course resulted in the bit hitting her teeth. So I followed linda parallei's trick with a treat to get her to reach down for the bit. So now she reaches her head down and takes the bit without a problem. She also jerked her head away anytime someone reached their hand up to fix her forelock or brush her neck or something. She is getting much better with that as well from better handling or from not being abused or whatever ya wanna call it. She just acts like she was hit in the head before and had horrendous bridling experiences. We have other OTTBs in the barn but they were retrained and shown before they got to us. I've worked with different rescue horses but never a horse who knows racing and not much else. so a lot of new territory for me. ; ) I was just wondering what you had seen from working with many of them.

It always makes me sad when I hear about head-shy horses. You must have so much patience. My favorite bit-accepting/bridling trick is sticking a piece of "fruit roll-up" on the bit. Not only does it act as a treat to lean their head down for, but it also stays as a reward for a while after and encourages bit acceptance. I hadn't heard of Linda Parelli's technique. I had mostly been interested in Parelli techniques dealing with spooky horses because the goofy paint I was working with had been sheltered and was afraid of almost everything outside of the round pen.
I'm really sorry your little girl had such a rough start. It sounds like she is in really good hands now. I have found some web pages that explain life at the track with helpful info on transitioning if you are interested. I can't wait to hear more about your journey with her.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2012, 7:29 pm

GreyGirl wrote:
LizNY wrote:

It always makes me sad when I hear about head-shy horses. You must have so much patience. My favorite bit-accepting/bridling trick is sticking a piece of "fruit roll-up" on the bit. Not only does it act as a treat to lean their head down for, but it also stays as a reward for a while after and encourages bit acceptance. I hadn't heard of Linda Parelli's technique. I had mostly been interested in Parelli techniques dealing with spooky horses because the goofy paint I was working with had been sheltered and was afraid of almost everything outside of the round pen.
I'm really sorry your little girl had such a rough start. It sounds like she is in really good hands now. I have found some web pages that explain life at the track with helpful info on transitioning if you are interested. I can't wait to hear more about your journey with her.

awe that's so sweet. ; ) thank you! and yes, i would love to check out those websites.

linda parelli's the game of contact training DVD shows her bridling tips step by step. you would hold the top of the bridle with your right hand and have a treat in your left hand. the horse can smell the treat and will be completely focused on locating it (which i think is so cute), and she will reach toward the treat and of course try to avoid the bridle. Lol but with just a couple of minutes and some repositioning of the bridle, she will eventually reach down and threw the bridle and take the bit. then reward with the treat right away. i've never tried using a fruit roll up before, and i would also be open to any suggestions for teaching canter cues and improving her breaks. she acts like she was never trained to stop. it's kind of weird, because she was actually really receptive to half halts right away. she slows within the gate and re-balances right away, which doesn't make sense to me. so how do they teach race horses to stop....? i'll ride other horses and they transition down or halt right away, but she keeps going....and i ask again with my legs and my seat, and then she transitions down and keeps going...and eventually she is like, oh you're talking to me again. ; ) it's so interesting working with her, because i don't have any experience with a horse like her. we make progress every session, but i'm definitely open to suggestions.

so you're riding several different horses now?

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

I'll post more later, but the one thing that is really different about OTTBS is that they are trained to speed up when the exercise rider or jockey takes a hold of their mouth. The best way to get an OTTB to slow is to release the rein aid. Basically, the tighter you hold, the more they will lean into your hands and go forward. Your half-halts are right on point. Sit tall and deep and use a gentle succession of half-halts until she gets the idea. Long and low on a light rein will be nice starting point. I'd keep to the trot until she gets the idea of staying at a nice relaxed pace on her own. As for the canter, the same basic principle applies. Going in the opposite direction of the one in which they race should help with the level of enthusiasm. :) One fabulous thing to look forward to though. Once you get the balance, rhythm, and bending at a nice level, OTTB's have a natural lead change. YAY! When they race, they change leads on their own about halfway through. As long as you let them do their changes at a bit of speed, it's not really hard to bring the change and the new cues together.

Yeah, I now have the option of riding Diego. I'm so excited. I had a nice school with Star on Tues. so I'm planning on getting on Diego tomorrow. He's all wiggly still. He bends by turning his head horizontally. It's a riot. I swear he looks like he's trying to turn his head upside-down. Steering him is kind of like flying a kite with two strings.

Edit>>I found this one real quick.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2012, 11:38 am

GreyGirl wrote:
I'll post more later, but the one thing that is really different about OTTBS is that they are trained to speed up when the exercise rider or jockey takes a hold of their mouth. The best way to get an OTTB to slow is to release the rein aid. Basically, the tighter you hold, the more they will lean into your hands and go forward. Your half-halts are right on point. Sit tall and deep and use a gentle succession of half-halts until she gets the idea. Long and low on a light rein will be nice starting point. I'd keep to the trot until she gets the idea of staying at a nice relaxed pace on her own. As for the canter, the same basic principle applies. Going in the opposite direction of the one in which they race should help with the level of enthusiasm. :) One fabulous thing to look forward to though. Once you get the balance, rhythm, and bending at a nice level, OTTB's have a natural lead change. YAY! When they race, they change leads on their own about halfway through. As long as you let them do their changes at a bit of speed, it's not really hard to bring the change and the new cues together.

Yeah, I now have the option of riding Diego. I'm so excited. I had a nice school with Star on Tues. so I'm planning on getting on Diego tomorrow. He's all wiggly still. He bends by turning his head horizontally. It's a riot. I swear he looks like he's trying to turn his head upside-down. Steering him is kind of like flying a kite with two strings.

Edit>>I found this one real quick.

Thank you for the suggestions. : ) We have done a lot of walk/trott transitions and encouragement to ride between the aids. She is as curious as a lil kid but when I can get her to focus, she stretches down and trotts around the arena nicely. Calm and even paced. We've done some nice serpentines just from shifting my weight. I've started to bring her head up some and introduced the shoulder in. Just a few steps. : p. We also started with the canter cue but haven't had much time to work on it since the indoor is too small for a horse that can't collect and the weather was been pretty bad this fall.

So Diego is an OTTB? The way u described his turns reminds me of western neckraining because sometimes they lean their heads in response. And is Star the school horse u were mentioned jumping b4?

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

Yeah, Diego is an OTTB that is used in the lesson program. It seems he could use some non-lesson rides and I'm happy to one of the ones to help out with that. I think all lesson horses appreciate someone riding that they don't have to teach. :) Diego has been off the track for a few years, but seems to still need some time getting to understand everything under a trained hand. There are quite a few really good riders at the farm, but most of them are in high school or off to college right now so the lesson horses don't get as many training rides in the school year as they would during the summer. Star is a personal pony that entered the lesson program because her person is a senior in HS and into everything possible a girl her age can be into. (Dance, Cheerleading, Dances, School etc.) I started riding star as a lesson pony, but the trainer liked the way I worked with her so my lessons basically became observed schooling sessions for Star. I would school Star in the group lessons and my trainer would keep an eye on my position and eq and stuff. I had been spending so much time over the last 3 years focusing on training the TB's that I had picked up a few bad habits. It just so happened that Star's person went to a show after I had been working with her. Her person's mom was so impressed with Star's performance that she told my trainer that I could ride her whenever I wanted. So now I ride Star a few days a week as often as my health allows. I've been training her and helping regain her fitness. She was previously an amazingly well trained pony, but that had lapsed because of lack of time in the saddle with her person. (I do not believe any living thing has right of ownership over another so I always say "person" instead.) Since Star was so well trained in all aspects, she is helping me learn to jump. It's been amazing to see her blossom. She's got her pony card at 14.2, but she's on the bubble. :lol: When I started working with her, she was wearing a 50 girth! Yikes, right. She's now back in her regular size and starting to carry herself instead of trying to stretch my arms to oblivion by leaning on me like a moose at the canter. I have a few pics of me and Star, as well as a short video from our show. Maybe I can post them.
I'd love to see pics of your horses.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2012, 7:26 pm

GreyGirl wrote:
Yeah, Diego is an OTTB that is used in the lesson program. It seems he could use some non-lesson rides and I'm happy to one of the ones to help out with that. I think all lesson horses appreciate someone riding that they don't have to teach. :) Diego has been off the track for a few years, but seems to still need some time getting to understand everything under a trained hand. There are quite a few really good riders at the farm, but most of them are in high school or off to college right now so the lesson horses don't get as many training rides in the school year as they would during the summer. Star is a personal pony that entered the lesson program because her person is a senior in HS and into everything possible a girl her age can be into. (Dance, Cheerleading, Dances, School etc.) I started riding star as a lesson pony, but the trainer liked the way I worked with her so my lessons basically became observed schooling sessions for Star. I would school Star in the group lessons and my trainer would keep an eye on my position and eq and stuff. I had been spending so much time over the last 3 years focusing on training the TB's that I had picked up a few bad habits. It just so happened that Star's person went to a show after I had been working with her. Her person's mom was so impressed with Star's performance that she told my trainer that I could ride her whenever I wanted. So now I ride Star a few days a week as often as my health allows. I've been training her and helping regain her fitness. She was previously an amazingly well trained pony, but that had lapsed because of lack of time in the saddle with her person. (I do not believe any living thing has right of ownership over another so I always say "person" instead.) Since Star was so well trained in all aspects, she is helping me learn to jump. It's been amazing to see her blossom. She's got her pony card at 14.2, but she's on the bubble. :lol: When I started working with her, she was wearing a 50 girth! Yikes, right. She's now back in her regular size and starting to carry herself instead of trying to stretch my arms to oblivion by leaning on me like a moose at the canter. I have a few pics of me and Star, as well as a short video from our show. Maybe I can post them.
I'd love to see pics of your horses.

yeah i would love to see pics or videos of the horses you've been working with. = ) i'll post some of my own once i figure out how to do that. Lol

Star sounds about the size of the rescue horse i've been working with and that's so awesome you made such progress with her. = ) Angel is the one i was talking about who was mistreated by an intern and has trouble with trust and anxiety. she's the only rescue that i regularly work with other than my own of course. she is supposedly a premarin, but she looks like a mini standardbred to me. a bay with an off center star on her lil forehead, less than 15 hands and smaller boned than most horses. she was stiff in the neck and in movement when i started with her. she had this rigid and very quick trott. i was like here we are at the race track, and i thought what the hell am i gonna do with this horse. Lol now that i've made progress with her, i think she will make an awesome dressage horse, because she is so responsive. it's precision-precision with her when she understands and isn't afraid. she is becoming more consistent with tucking her nose and pushing off from behind and it just looks so good and so cute because she's a smaller horse. ; ) i plan to do a lot of ground work with her over the winter to smooth out more of her issues and we will see what happens in the spring....we have a lot of work to do with her canter. she kind of panics at this point. there is no collection and not much order with that. : / so yeah i might see potential, but it's going to be a lot of work. even though we can do shoulder ins and leg yields at the trott.....but still lots and lots and lots of work to do.....

i'm jealous you've been jumping. ; ) i think my new horse (Millzie) will be an excellent jumper...... when we get to that point in a year or two. and i have to retrain myself for jumping, because it's been years since i did that regularly. i was thinking i was getting too old, but Millzie makes me think she will love it. and i always loved jumping... so we will see......

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm

Well, Here's another thing horses are good for. Giving me a reason to keep going despite my illness. I am just about through a bad flare up complete with brain swelling. Ohhh Fun, (joke) I just kept reminding myself how nice it will be when I get back to the barn, That should be in a few days. Yay! I can't wait to see Star and the other horsies. On a sad note. One of the grand ladies of Mason Run Farm died a few days ago. Miss Blue, "Chase the Blues", died at the age of 38. I was so happy my husband had taken me to see her as well as Star and her riding buddy Beau. I was able to give both Miss Blue and Miss Lollie "Ooh La La" (the other grand lady) treats only the day before Miss Blue left us. Miss Lollie is also 38. I am honored to have known Miss Blue and to know Miss Lollie. As soon as I can get to the barn by myself again Miss Lollie is in for extra treats and a good brushing,