Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dsbonn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2012, 5:12 am

Hi Aspie1,

No, she talks differently, but then again her language is still developing, so she cannot form those sentences. What I hear her say is one words or short sentences about the things she likes or the things she likes to do...i think sometimes it is echolalia - she mentions the error messages she gets on the computer. But most of the times it is meaningful.

dsbonn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Nov 2012, 3:45 pm

sometimes its a bit too noisy as well. this is ok at home but at school it can create problems

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 5:17 pm

Bombaloo wrote:
Perhaps she is "practicing" for a future conversation or reviewing a past one. I think most people do this. We go over in our heads past events or think about what we might say in a situation we know is in our future. I think it is fairly common for people on the spectrum to have less distinction between what is going on inside their heads and what they are saying aloud.

Yes, I was going to say this too. I'm not a child, but I am on the spectrum and I have talked to myself for a long time. When I do it, I am having "fake" conversations. I guess that this started as some kind of a subconscious attempt to improve my social skills. I think I'm trying to hear how I sound when I speak, to see if I can say things in a better way.

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

My son talks to himself non stop. especially when playing with lego.....
sometimes I have to put headphones on cause it does my head in........