Link between Aspergers and Alzheimers??

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 2:15 am

ChrisP wrote:
Aspies are constantly learning stuff, and I remember hearing a while ago that learning a new language goes a long way to proofing the brain against dementia: something about forcing new neural pathways. The solution is simple!

Bonjour, tout le monde!

unfortunately for some [the chronically monolingual who find that even their own language is a bit beyond their command, not to mention a 2nd language], they may just be doomed to dementia in their autumn years. :hmph:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 6:15 am

I'm starting to think AS is dangerous. Next there's going to be a thread saying ''is there a link between AS and cancer?'' I will then turn into a hypercondriac and go rushing to the doctors saying all this s**t on the internet has gone to my head and that I need a check to see if I am possible to get all these things and that NTs are superhumans that are less likely to get anything. No wonder I'm so ashamed and unhappy about being CURSED with this f*****g Autism.

Rose77
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2015, 3:46 am

"And the younger family member had to convince the doctor that no, this just the way he's always been"
Yes and I am still explaining this to people years later after dad's initial dementia diagnosis. Unfortunately the health system is so fragmented for oldies in NZ that I have to keep on and on explaining. Dad's smart gerontologist mentioned Aspergers as a possibility after seeing him call me a f*cking b*tch in a doctor appointment, plus a few other things she noticed. Unfortunately we're going through another round of 'lets put dad in a resthome' with my siblings..one who has EPOA. He's about to be evaluated again by the doctors et all and this time Im pushing for an Aspergers diagnoses so he can get the appropriate care ie; in his home environment where he has some control over his environment. Also letters from my mum, dad's GP, and an experienced lady who knows him well and has seen him 'throw a wobbly' at 'dementia lunch group'
Dad is a lovely funny sensitive educated creative perceptive animal and children loving Yorkshire-born chappy.
But alot of what people see and think is dementia really is "JUST HIM" and I have used those exact words so many times. Oddly built furniture. Wants personal space. Not keen on affection other than the odd peck. Hates rowdy activities and having 'the telly' on for too long. Miserly with money. Slightly unpredictable temper resulting in incredibly loud and scary screaming occasionally (thankfully rarely) resulting in violence especially if the person doesn't back down immediately (most people back down). Hmm what else about dad...I'm sure theres more. Oh, doesn't bath often, maybe twice a week. Yep - all how hes ALWAYS BEEN

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:30 am

Oh Jesus Christ.

Since I came to this forum, literally every physical and mental disease or illness or condition a human can have has somehow been linked to Asperger's. :? If any of this BS was true, then Autism would be the most dangerous thing to have, and we'd probably all die before the age of 5.

EDIT: Oh wait, this is a bumped topic. I have already posted here ages ago.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:33 am

^^^
that tickles me :lol:

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2015, 9:22 am

There's a theory out there, that says that Alzheimers is caused by an inflammatory response to excess Glutamate, this 'may' be made worse by MSG foods. If true the treatment would involve anti-inflammatory medication/anti-histimine. Oddly enough, there is a medication called Memantine, which blocks excess glutmate, which is being used for treatment, but it's not a cure.

I think I read somewhere that people with Autism have inflammatory problems. I suffer from hives occasionally.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 9:07 pm

^^^
I have long had problems with water retention, and swollen lower extremities.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 9:12 pm

It's bad enough I worry that my mother will develop dementia like my grandfather, now on top of all the other garbage I'm more likely to get Alzheimer's? My gravestone won't be long enough to list all the reasons I died prematurely (left-handed, Nova Scotian, overweight, never married, and on and on).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 1:22 am

Rose77 wrote:
"And the younger family member had to convince the doctor that no, this just the way he's always been"

One thing that worries me is that my prosopagnosia might be seen as an early sign of dementia.

When my mother was still alive, she developed Alzheimer's in her last few years. The last four or five years, she couldn't recognize people very well. She could usually recognize my oldest brother, his wife, and me. One day a nephew of mine who lived nearby was upset that she couldn't recognize him -- he took it very personally. I didn't point out that I often confuse him with his brother who is very different from him.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2015, 12:59 am

Sure, why the hell not? It would be a perfect end to the nightmare I've gone through for the last 60 years. Bring it on...maybe I will then forget everything else that is wrong with me.