Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 6:08 pm

It seems even for Aspies, I am one of the few who is still living with parents. Moving out seems a very daunting step for me to take. I can't function all that well on my own. I can't really afford to move (renting is very expensive here in Australia), and I am not in full time work at the moment, and haven't been in months.

I find it hard to hold down a job, I often get fired pretty quickly. I have a masters degree, but limited job experience. My parents nag me to move out, a lot, but I can't afford to.

This makes it very hard to make friends, and makes getting a girlfriend practically impossible (never had one of those either).

I am the typical 30 y.o nerd still living in his parents basement. I didn't expect my life to end up this way.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

23 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

I am five years younger than you, and for the most part, I am in the same spot as you. I can certainly empathize with your sitch.

I am not empowered enough yet to change any of this, but I am hopeful.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2012, 12:23 am

Aye, younger at 24 (almost 25) here and also living at home. It sucks, but at the same time, family support is almost priceless. I lived in dorms in college for two years and then an apartment for the third year (always moving back home for the summer) and I realized within a few months of the first year, that I'm pretty much useless when it comes to self-sufficiency. Every quarter of all three years, I ran out of food money but was too shy/embarrassed to ask for more and starved during each finals week. Extremely stupid but that's how it went. It sucks.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 12:16 pm

21 and still living at home but mostly because cheaper to attend college from here. Have not really found a job that will interview me.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 2:05 pm

Isn't wherever you live "home"? ;-)

Sorry, I just had to make a joke.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm

I lived on my own for seven years and now my parents live with us again. It's so we can have help with our son due to our disabilities we have and I work. But the difference is we both bought this house together and we both pay all the bills with it, no rent. We both pay the mortgage.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 2:37 pm

I think about this predicament as I'm back in my parents' house at 36. I had previously been on my own for just over 10 years.

A few really bad misteps, partly based on my parents advice, along with the disaster economy in Michigan contributed to this. Also while attempting work I did over the road trucking a few years so it wasn't worth paying for a home when I was gone all the time. So I ran the roads while paying down my debts.

Latest thing I'm trying is going to college for an Associates Degree, so now I'm living on student aid. I figure at least I'm trying to get ahead, but living out of my parents basement makes for an awkward social life.

mutley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2012, 2:43 pm

I'm almost 23 and still living at home. I'm looking to move out as soon as I have some money or somewhere to go.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 3:59 am

Yes, I'm 10 years younger, but my mom and I have talked about me staying here and I feel like I'll be here for at least 5 more years. I'll eventually move my boyfriend in (1-2 years I think though I wouldn't be opposed to sooner), but since I'm paying some rent I feel a bit better about staying home. It's just not viable for me to ever live on my own, whether it's with my mom, bf, or HEAVEN FORBID MY SISTERS (Toddler + Baby = chaos I can't handle). I literally just don't think of things that I need to do, like eat (I'll eat a meal a day if I had my way), and clean, and bathe. I mean, I'm responsible with other things, I can do other tasks, but I just need that push from somebody else to do some things that are natural to others.
And wow do I feel stupid right now.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 4:51 am

I'm 37, still live with my mother, and will be living with her for the rest of my life.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 6:03 am

have you considered a house share or roommate situation? even a group home for people with AS may be right up your alley. if you don't feel you can live independently, there are other options besides staying with your parents, basically.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 1:25 pm

Right now I'm living at my moms house, hoping to figure something else out as soon as possible. One issue is I don't want to live alone and probably cannot afford it either not sure I know of anyone to room with. There was talk of moving in with my friend when he gets a place but not so sure that is a good idea anymore....So yeah, but before I even make plans of moving out I kind of need income which I am working on.

Trying to get on SSI, which would be income if its determined I am too mental to work or whatever, I mean if I was running a conventional business I wouldn't hire me. But otherwise there are some more laid back sorts of places I could maybe apply at, trouble is they don't seem to be hiring very often.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 1:30 pm

I JUST managed to move out in the middle of August of this year. I never thought that would happen, and I still need lots of support (from parents, counsellors at school, and the autism centre). I moved for university, but without the support (and my kitties...I'm a crazy cat lady....) I don't think I would have survived a month on my own. I do happen to love having my own apartment though. I like the solitude...

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

fluffypinkyellow
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2012, 6:30 am

I am 20 and living with my parents. I'm planning to most likely stay until the end of my undergraduate degree, then move somewhere else for postgraduate study.

Willow-Tree
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2012, 6:39 am

I don't live with my parents, but I live with my Fiancé in a flat on the side of his parents house. Not sure if that counts. But I tell you now, I would still be at home if I'd not met my partner. The though of coping alone is so scary, and before I met him I sort of just decided that I'd always live at home. I've never worked and don't feel like I could - so have no real income of my own. I do some freelance work from home, but it doesn't earn enough to be considered a wage :(

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 11:01 am

Adam82 wrote:
It seems even for Aspies, I am one of the few who is still living with parents. Moving out seems a very daunting step for me to take. I can't function all that well on my own. I can't really afford to move (renting is very expensive here in Australia), and I am not in full time work at the moment, and haven't been in months.

Take it from a 29 year old who is year 1 alone that it gets easier as you get used to it. Yes, it is a daunting step but looking back it wasn't that difficult. Yes, renting is insanely expensive here too. I live in a lower income area in one of Canada's poorer provinces in a 50 year old building and still pay $815 a month in rent alone.
Quote:
I am the typical 30 y.o nerd still living in his parents basement. I didn't expect my life to end up this way.

I assumed I would have been married with 2 kids by this point. I know it's frustrating but remember even someone hopeless like me managed to pull it off. Let's just say there are MANY people here in Canada that are in the exact same situation.