Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bornlie
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2012, 3:26 pm

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
Anyone else find their body temperature is outside the norm? Is it possibly AS-linked or just another strangeness I have?

Mine is always around 34C. The only times it ever gets up to the normal 37.5 is when I have flu or a severe cold and I have fever symptoms.

As well, my skin is always cold to the touch (unless I've just got out of bed, had a hot bath, been in the sun...) As for my feet, they don't feel like they belong to a living person - I struggle to touch them at times! But apart from my feet, I don't feel cold anywhere else, although my skin is cold. Logically, if I'm not losing much heat through my skin, my temperature should be hotter than the norm, no? And I do feel the cold but overheat easily in hot environments.

I've been tested a few times over the years for thyroid issues (I don't have any other symptoms of that) and other things I don't remember, but the results have always come back clear. I was chilly as a child as well, it just seems to be how I was made.

I don't know my temp but some how seem to adapt to the climate outside. I come to resist overly cold indoor places during the summer and overly hot indoor places during the winter. it makes no sense to me why you would go all winter bitching about the cold when in the summer you make it cold inside.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 3:34 pm

Yeah, my normal body temperature is usually 97 degrees. I rarely get fevers. If I get a fever, I'm REALLY sick. And even then, 99.9 degrees qualifies as a fever for me. I've only had a fever of 102/103 degrees a handful of times in my life.

Edit: Wanted to note that my lower temperature is NOT hypothyroidism. I specifically was tested for hypothyroidism a few years ago when doctors were trying to figure out the cause of my extreme fatigue (I've since found out it's idiopathic hypersomnia). And I've had a lower body temperature all of my life, not just recently.

Nash: Is there a difference?

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:08 pm

My body temperature is consistently about a degree (C) below "average." My thyroid has been tested many times and all tests come back OK. The average temperature really is only an average, though. Plenty of people have slightly different ones and I don't think it's related to ASD.

My bigger problem is that I get mild fevers all the time. It seems to happen whenever I'm feeling stressed or overtired. Usually at first I'm annoyed that the room is so cold and suddenly feeling like I really just want to lie down, then after I check the thermostat I realize it's another mild fever. I wrap up in a few extra layers of clothing until I start to sweat and the fever breaks, then carry on. Happens nearly every day at least once, usually at work where the stress is highest. I also have such terrible circulation that when I get out of a hot shower my hands turn blue... And I always have cold, sweaty hands and feet. I wonder if it's related. It's certainly unattractive anyway, and doctors have told me there's not really anything to be done about it. : /

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2012, 4:14 pm

Our AS kin seems nearly impervious to cold. He do not do hot too well. When he was a tiny baby one of his grannys detected he was hot natured. She was sure right.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:59 pm

Mine is around 36.3 Celsius. And my thyroid levels are normal too.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:34 pm

I'm always too warm unless in 60-68 F environments with the humidity down (I also can't breathe when it's really humid). My hands and fingers are always cold and I can't function in higher temperatures than that because my body overheats very easily.