Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 6:24 am

DVCal wrote:
I read that some aspies like to rock back and forth and find it soothing. I never did this before and today I was curious as to how it would feel. After 30 seconds I started feeling dizzy, it felt very awkward and not good at all. Not something I will ever do again. So do you actually enjoy rocking your self back and forth?

I do it when I'm distressed, but only mildly.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:24 am

No, it makes me nauseas.

hareno
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Dec 2012, 1:46 am

According to my mom, I've done it ever since I was an infant. She says she would strap me in my high chair for mealtime, and then immediately I'd violently start rocking back and forth till the high chair scooted all the way back into the wall. I'm much older now, but I still do it, but not as intensely because whenever I get the urge to rock back and forth, I normally have to force myself to not do it since there are normally people around. (and they'd think I'm totally crazy or something)

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 1:51 am

I catch myself rocking back and forth at time; I notice I do it moreso when I'm standing up, actually. I asked someone I know if he ever sees me rock back and forth; he told me that I tend to do it when I'm anxious. I do a head-banging motion on occasion too, though I don't hit my head hard against anything. Leg-shaking and pacing are my default stims of choice.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2012, 7:19 am

Since starting on citalopram I've noticed I sway slightly from side to side when I sit down.

Still, the drug has stopped me crying several times a day and feeling suicidal, so I'll definitely take the swaying.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 7:35 am

Side to edis for me. Been doing it all my life and it didn't even occur to me til recently that there's anything unusual about it.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:10 am

DVCal wrote:
Do you rock back and forth?

Yes, and it is annoying... stop pushing my seat from behind and watch the movie! :wink:

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2012, 9:28 am

I do, but only when I am sitting on a chair. I also rub my upper legs while I'm rocking. It's very pleasant. It makes me feel happy and soft.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2012, 9:32 am

Yes, and also stand and bang my back repeatedly against a wall or whatever; in a rhythmic way.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2012, 10:49 am

Yes. I have been rocking myself since I was a small child. I do it all the time. It also helps me when I am nervous/overwhelmed.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:28 am

I do it when Im anxious or sometimes excited!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

nonames
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

I thought I didn't rock back and forth, but apparently I did. But it's only when standing. While waiting in line, my body sways back and forth, side to side, or sometimes I swing a foot. I must look really weird. The back and forth rocking also happens when I'm excited.

I tried rocking back and forth sitting but it did nothing. Neither does doing it standing help anxiety. It's just pleasant. My leg shaking though really helps my anxiety. As does biting things.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

I have always rocked back and forth but I do less obvious stuff if there is anyone around. It is so ingrained into me now that I didnt really think I did it until I was reading about it and realised I was rocking while reading - and had been for some time. I was also speaking my thoughts aloud for good autistic measure. At school the more noticeable stim was rocking my head from side to side, often as I talked to/at people. Kids made my life a misery for doing this so I gradually stopped myself doing it most of the time now - not easy since I never realise when I am doing it unless I check myself. I still notice I do it a little when I see myself in a video sometimes.

I agree that it centres and soothes as well as helping with anxiety a little. If I am concentrating on something it can help me focus also.

Alexithymia: 137

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 2:02 pm

I sometimes notice I'm rocking back and forth, yes. I just catch myself doing it .... It's usually when I'm very distressed about something.

Also if a chair has the ability to rock, I will rock in that.

Edminzodo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2012, 3:06 pm

Rarely.

Last edited by envirozentinel on 26 Jun 2017, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.: private info

LoveLisa1999
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2012, 3:26 pm

Yes but I stop when I become aware of it.