Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 2:43 pm

Does having SAD affect your special interests? I don't know if my dips in interest are due to SAD or if it's my interest leaving me again. I get spurts of really caring about my interest but then I don't know if its because of SAD or not! It's really frustrating because if its SAD I know I need to press myself to do things related but if its not, well, then I don't know what to do. Anything wouldn't necessarily make me feel better but it would help.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

If it is SAD then getting a light box may help. If you are using antidepressants, having a summer dose and a higher winter dose might help; if you don't currently use any, taking them only in the dark months might be helpful. Repetitive exercise is also useful.
Losing interest in previously-enjoyed activities is a big sign of depression, so consider this possibility.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 4:08 pm

And, how about going lateral and branching out from interests, and maybe later coming back enriched and with new skills and experience to some of your previous big ones, or not. And in zen like fashion, either is perfectly okay.

And, you've heard about full-spectrum light visors, right?

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 5:54 pm

PixieXW,
does anything else dip at the same time such as your general energy level or appetite?

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 8:14 pm

Does anyone know if tanning helps SAD?

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 6:19 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Does anyone know if tanning helps SAD?
I would think natural tanning obtained via the sun could help. Our bodies require sunlight to absorb vitamin D. Fake tanning/bronzing or tanning in a salon wouldn't achieve that. If you use a sunbed you wear goggles to protect from the harmful rays but SAD is said to be aided by certain spectrum lighting reaching the retinas of our eyes thus doing things in our brains to make us feel fine.