Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:00 pm

Just curious......

In light of recent discussions on male "creepiness," are there any other women out there who have been accused of being "creepy" before?

In my case, I've gotten called "creepy" primarily for the following reasons:

1. People not being able to tell if I'm male or female.

2. I rarely talk, and, contrary to popular belief on WP, there's a different between what's seen in society as "typical" female passivity/shyness, and "creepy" Aspergers girls who never say anything (even when asked a direct question), and spend most of their time blankly staring off into space.

3. My movements. I have stereotypies. For the most part, I can keep them under control in public, but they do bubble to the surface from time to time. Additionally, I'm clumsy with an odd gait (folks tell me I look like I'm limping on my left side, but I'm not consciously aware of it).

So, any other creepazoid ladies wanna 'fess up? If anything, if we do a cross-gender comparison, maybe we can finally isolate the elusive "creep factor." 8O

Creepy woman:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2012, 7:21 pm

My sister jokes that I look like something that would crawl out of a mirror and stand at the end of someone's bed as they sleep!

I have very pale skin and cold dark blue eyes. Also the tendency to stare at nothing-in-particular, and my face is quite expressionless. Add to the fact that I'm quite thin-faced and I'll admit I look a bit spooky.

And there's the way I go outside to smoke and wander in a figure 8 while talking to myself. My housemates just laugh when I come in and ask if it was an interesting conversation! :lol:

I've also been told that I never seem to be all here. As if I've just dropped in from somewhere else entirely and my mind is still back there.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 7:23 pm

Some really girly straight women find me creepy because they think I fancy them.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 8:11 pm

I have been called creepy before. Most people find me either creepy or intimidating.

Reasons:

- lack of body lnaguage
- I don't make eye contact
- when I do make eye contact I have a very direct stare, which everyone hates
- I don't speak (often, if I do, it's very quietly)
- I do not seek out social interaction, but avoid it

That alone is enough for me to have been labelled creepy throughout high school. Now people just find me intimidating.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 9:03 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Some really girly straight women find me creepy because they think I fancy them.

This happens to me sometimes. Even some of my closest friends think that I'm flirting with them.

And I've been called weird/creepy for how I can seem very detached with occasional outbursts of very strong emotions about a particular subject. Some friends say I seem like a person who is just going to come unhinged someday because I seem way too calm when I say I'm upset about something.

I'm an official creeper.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

I'm creepy a bit because I have the blank stare thing going for me. Also, if you're just a little bit nice to me, I have a tendency to follow you around like a puppy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 1:01 pm

Yes I've had that label applied to me....along with being weird, a freak and one girl even basically said she thought I was a psychopath. I don't really make eye contact except with people I know long enough to trust but even then its distracting for me to try and make eye contact. I suppose sometimes I dress somewhat 'creepy' or at least some people find my metal shirts and wearing of mostly black sometimes with other colors mixed in to be creepy. Some people have even tried to mention to it to me nicely that I come off as quite unusual and it creeps people out...I really have no idea how to come off any different.

And in a few relationships i've had(not for very long) the more intimate things get the more akward it ends up being, at least that seems to be a big part of why it doesn't usually work out.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 5:44 pm

I've never been accused of being creepy but I'm afraid I come off as such because of my monotonous voice and poor conversation skills.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 7:24 pm

meems wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

This happens to me sometimes. Even some of my closest friends think that I'm flirting with them.

And I've been called weird/creepy for how I can seem very detached with occasional outbursts of very strong emotions about a particular subject. Some friends say I seem like a person who is just going to come unhinged someday because I seem way too calm when I say I'm upset about something.

I'm an official creeper.

Oh yeah - and this! how could I forget this? :lol:

meems
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 9:58 pm

You can creep me out anytime, Kjas! :P

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 12:40 am

I'm told that I'm 'intimidating.'

robsten1990
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2012, 9:30 am

Quote:

I'm an official creeper.
This is me too.

Diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 22 years of age.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 8:12 pm

LKL wrote:
I'm told that I'm 'intimidating.'

I used to find you intimidating, which I think is sort of internalized misogyny on my part. I am actually ashamed to admit that. It's easy to recognize now, how a lot of my beliefs about people used to be based on flawed logic or... I don't know the proper term to use, but it's hard to keep recognizing it and keep sorting it out.

I'm babbling, I hope this makes sense.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:32 am

^that makes perfect sense in some ways; we all unconsciously pick up ideas about how other people are supposed to act, based on what 'type' we are supposed to class them as, and are uncomfortable if someone acts outside their type.

I was never good at internalizing what 'girls' are supposed to be like, so I guess I might make people uncomfortable by acting outside of the culturally enforced 'female' type.

(/armchair psychoanalysis)

Artemisia_Amaryllis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2012, 7:07 pm

Yes, I've gotten this.

And yes, I think cultural definitions of "femininity" have a lot to do with it.

In my case I think I've gotten the label because of (1) being generally quiet, and not being able to "carry the conversation" with "filler" the way women are often expected to, and (2) on the other hand, being too direct/blunt/not-coy, among other things.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:18 pm

And not smiling if I'm not happy. Men seem to want women, especially young women, to always smile regardless of what they're feeling.