My handwriting is causing me problems in school

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Is there any way to improve handwriting?
Yes, there is (please specify); 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
No, there isn't. 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

I've always had a bad handwriting, even illegible to most people (sometimes even to teachers). I improved since I was younger, but it still sucks. Even when I was in elemtary school and in middle school it caused me problems with the teachers, who said that I had to improve it; but it's causing me even more problems now that I am in high school. The fact is that this year I have some teachers that in classworks not only evalutate if what you wrote is right or wrong: they also evalutate the tidiness of your handwriting. Now, as I said, my handwriting is sometimes illegible even to teachers, and it is also very messy. This is why my grades are lowered by the teachers that also evalutate the tidiness of my handwriting. But it's not only that: I try to write in the best way I can, but I'm also very slow when I write, and I'm often when of the last ones to finish the classworks. And during classworks, I have to stop a few times because of my hurting hand. So, I'm asking to you, is there any way to improve handwriting?

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 3:38 pm

My handwriting has always been bad myself, so I don't really know what to say.

Do you think you could type your assignments? It seems like it would be much better for both parties in this situation.

Author/Writer

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

I think that dart throwing has improved my handwriting. Either that or all the practice I've done recently. I've also gotten some really nice mechanical pencils that rotate the lead as I write.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

Zodai wrote:
My handwriting has always been bad myself, so I don't really know what to say.

Do you think you could type your assignments? It seems like it would be much better for both parties in this situation.

I would like to type assignments, but my professors don't allow me and my classmates to do it most of the times.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

http://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-KuruToga ... B0026ICM1E

I've been using Kuru Toga mechanical pencils.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 4:26 pm

If you can, ask your teachers if they'll let you type. Other than that, just write as slow as you can and practice. In my case, playing piano helped me with my hand coordination.

You can also try changing the utensil. I find pencils are best because they create more friction with the paper. They're easier to control than "slippery" pens.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 4:34 pm

I can relate. I can print well enough to get by, but cursive, forget it. I too am slow with handwriting and my hand cramps up easily. This also affected my note-taking abilities, i could not write quickly enough or concentrate on what was being taught to take effective notes. This was never addressed in IEP meetings, i was simply told to "take better notes" and stop using aspergers "as a crutch". I passed all of my classes with a 71-74 grade... 69 being failing. I guess its moot for me now that ive been out of school for 8 years.

I dont really have much advice, but remember that one symptom of aspergers is "low muscle tone" so you should be accommodated with something that requires less use of hands. Maybe a digital voice recorder, or use of a computer?

Good Luck

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 4:37 pm

I don't know how to help with a hurting hand or the class work, but if you write very slowly and it inconveniences you, 1. You should be able to get extra time to complete your assignments at home, and 2. I once overheard the "special exam accommodations" teacher (don't know what to call him exactly) talking to someone about extra time for their exams due to handwriting issues (although I think he may have had mild dyspraxia, I can't remember, and don't know if that is the only way to get extra time for motor skills).

Best off asking a teacher (if you can) if they would be willing to make accommodations for you, and tell them that you are working on it. Alternatively, typing is a good alternative, although having legible handwriting may help at some point in the future, I expect (says the not-so-expert).

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 6:24 pm

iggy64 wrote:
Alternatively, typing is a good alternative, although having legible handwriting may help at some point in the future, I expect (says the not-so-expert).

You make a good point. A potential employer with no knowledge of your individual needs is going to look at a written application and likely reject it for bad handwriting. Many employers still use paper forms and do not offer an electronic option.

Thats just one example. Schools make accommodations, society as a whole unfortunately does not. Especially in retail where the business is kissing the customers ass, there is very little that can be done to accommodate.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

Yeah, but school has no relevance in actual society. No one is ever going to expect you to write a 5 page report by hand, or take notes in a meeting without a recorder. The reason people have to seek accommodations in schools is because students have no rights and can't make their own accommodations like adults can in real life.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:50 pm

I can help you with the handwriting and the hurting hand... :)

Use a fountain pen. Since you aren't used to them, get one with a very solid nib to start with. The point is, first, that your hand is hurting because you have to use pressure to write. With a decent fountain pen (one with decent ink flow) you don't need to do more than touch the nib to the page, then draw it across the paper. You will need time to get used to this, and you might ruin a nib or two at first. But your hand will thank you.

And everyone who uses a fountain pen finds it improves their handwriting, at least somewhat. It won't give you perfect handwriting, but it will improve it. (If messiness is an issue, you also want to give some thought to the inks you use; fast drying and no or low feathering are qualities you want. Noodlers X-Feather is the first ink that comes to mind - but for that you either need a pen that fills from a bottle, or a cartridge converter for your pen.)

I started using fountain pens when I was young - because my hand hurt whenever I wrote. I have always had terrible handwriting - but I got fewer complaints when I used a fountain pen. For a while, I had to give them up (the work I did had me spending time in archives - where any sort of ink pen was forbidden) and have never been so relieved as when I went back to them. Note that I did say "fewer" complaints. You may also need to work on your handwriting - but it will be easier if you're using a fountain pen, and you should get an instant improvement. (The nib of a "real" :D pen gives your writing more character, so instead of looking messy it looks a bit more impressive. I don't know how to fully describe this effect.)

If you need to know more about the wonderful world of fountain pens, feel free to post your questions here. I have over a hundred, some expensive and vintage ones, and some very inexpensive. I'm a writer, so writing tools are a huge issue for me. And I've found fountain pen use to be a real sensory pleasure, too. :) (If you use bottled ink and not cartridges, it is also - long term - the least expensive way to write, as long as you can resist the costly beauties. ;) )

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 11:44 pm

Yes there is, though I personally have never done it. My professor during my undergrad has the most beautiful handwriting I have ever seen. It is amazing, doesn't even look real. I asked him about it once, and he said his writing used to be almost unreadable, so he practiced calligraphy over and over again, and wow--it is amazing! I am sooo jealous of his writing! lol

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 5:14 pm

Which hand are you writing with? You might try writing with the other hand--many Aspies are cross dominant. Even if you throw with your right hand, you may be better at fine motion skills such as writing with your left hand.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2012, 7:15 am

BTDT wrote:
Which hand are you writing with? You might try writing with the other hand--many Aspies are cross dominant. Even if you throw with your right hand, you may be better at fine motion skills such as writing with your left hand.

I am righty, but I also tried to write with my left hand: it sucked even more. My coordination with my left hand is even worse, and I have problems using it even to do the most simple things.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 9:05 am

Guess what, I've done that too!

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2095.html

Japanese Calligraphy

Been there, done that.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:54 pm

You might try practicing basic exercises aimed at folks recovering from a stroke--try rehabilitation exercises. You might try practicing while watching television--practice during the commercials or advertisements.