More single aspie males than single aspie females?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 9:55 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
Quote:
The 4:1 male-female ratio is only with those who are diagnosed. If you factor in those without a diagnosis, and those elsewhere on the autistic spectrum (other than AS), you're talking about 1 out of 150 people total--roughly 40 million worldwide.

^^ You people keep saying this. What proofs you have for this statement?
What you are saying doesn't make any sense ,what you are saying that most Aspie girls go on with their lives and no one of their parent notice their Aspiness , not even themselves.

That might be possible for aspies but all scientific studies about autism show that it's more common among boys, including Classic autism.

Surely, no girl with Classic Autism(severe autism) would grow without being noticed by the parent and teachers, no? Yet , severe autism is much more common among boys. If AS is part of Autism spectrum then logically it would be the same case.

My parents didn't know what asperegers was...that is until my mom looked it up.

I went years and years being misdiagnosed through one thing after another and no doctor ever mentioned anything about autism or aspergers.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I got an official diagnoses for ASD. It's still not very well known in the area I live. When I bring it up, most people don't know what I'm talking about until I bring up the word autism. Most people have mispereceptions as to what aspergers or high functioning autism looks like. In fact it's not as obvious as LFA would be.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 10:05 am

MissConstrue wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
Quote:
The 4:1 male-female ratio is only with those who are diagnosed. If you factor in those without a diagnosis, and those elsewhere on the autistic spectrum (other than AS), you're talking about 1 out of 150 people total--roughly 40 million worldwide.

^^ You people keep saying this. What proofs you have for this statement?
What you are saying doesn't make any sense ,what you are saying that most Aspie girls go on with their lives and no one of their parent notice their Aspiness , not even themselves.

That might be possible for aspies but all scientific studies about autism show that it's more common among boys, including Classic autism.

Surely, no girl with Classic Autism(severe autism) would grow without being noticed by the parent and teachers, no? Yet , severe autism is much more common among boys. If AS is part of Autism spectrum then logically it would be the same case.

My parents didn't know what asperegers was...that is until my mom looked it up.

I went years and years being misdiagnosed through one thing after another and no doctor ever mentioned anything about autism or aspergers.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I got an official diagnoses for ASD. It's still not very well known in the area I live. When I bring it up, most people don't know what I'm talking about until I bring up the word autism. Most people have mispereceptions as to what aspergers or high functioning autism looks like. In fact it's not as obvious as LFA would be.

....your story is the same of most people with Asperger, including males. I was talking about Classic autism (LFA) , a girl with LFA or Classic Autism can't grow unnoticed by parents, yet LFA is more common among boys - surely this is not due to 'so many girls grew undiagnosed" in that case (LFA), there's another reason for sure.

But it's supposed that AS is an autism disorder , if LFA is more common among boys than girls then why AS would be equally among boys and girls?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 10:41 am

I'm not sure but I have heard that men and women exhibit some differences in behavior of autism and aspergers.

I know that dislexia and color blindness also seems to be more common among males as well with the exception that there are females that make up the minority. I know a female who has both dislexia and color blindness. The ironic thing is her brother doesn't exhibit these traits only her dad lol.

AlexKohler1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 12:44 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
You're imagining things.

I think it may have something to do with the fact it's more common in males to have AS.

Yes, I completely agree.

I have a mother, father with Asperger's Syndrome, two bothers two years older than me, one has severe Autism and the other is NT.

My brother got me started playing Xbox several years ago.

18 years old, 5'4", brown hair.