Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2012, 5:42 pm

Did anyone here have doubts about their syndromes or conditions before (or possibly after) being diagnosed? And if applicable could you offer some similar conditions that involve inflexibility in routines, breakdowns, subject obsessions, and high sensitivity to sounds, textures and the like [without significant social disfunctions]? I'm a young adult female and my boyfriend thinks the symptoms of Asperger's uncannily resemble what I thought was my personality, though I don't think I'm particularly poor at social skills. When we get married and I'm on his insurance I've planned to see a psychologist for a professional insight. Any respectful replies will be appreciated.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2012, 5:57 pm

5318008 wrote:
Did anyone here have doubts about their syndromes or conditions before (or possibly after) being diagnosed? And if applicable could you offer some similar conditions that involve inflexibility in routines, breakdowns, subject obsessions, and high sensitivity to sounds, textures and the like [without significant social disfunctions]? I'm a young adult female and my boyfriend thinks the symptoms of Asperger's uncannily resemble what I thought was my personality, though I don't think I'm particularly poor at social skills. When we get married and I'm on his insurance I've planned to see a psychologist for a professional insight. Any respectful replies will be appreciated.

sensory processing disorder? ocd? give more information? :wink:
it's possible that you have a number of autistic traits but don't fit the criteria for autism.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2012, 6:02 pm

Thank you for the suggestions; I'll look into them. :D What kind of information do you need?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Dec 2012, 6:26 pm

[Moved from Bipolar, Tourettes, Schizophrenia, and other Psychological Conditions to General Autism Discussion]

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2012, 6:33 pm

Sorry for the misplacement of the thread, it wasn't intentional. :( And thank you for moving it.

Additional info:
I guess I should add that I'm only looking for alternatives or people who relate so I can understand what my breakdowns are and how to prevent/treat them. I call them breakdowns instead of meltdowns because I can't be sure that what I'm experiencing is a meltdown and I don't want to offend anyone. I have these fits when I get overwhelmed, either from sensory overloads (sound is the biggest trigger), changes in routine, or demands that I be social when I don't have the energy. They are pretty dramatic and shameful, but I have a very difficult time controlling them. It can range from trying to isolate myself, to destroying household items... often things I love as some form self-punishment for how guilty I feel for letting things that don't even phase others control me. Yet most "normal" triggers don't affect me at all. I don't get impatient, I don't have a need to judge, I don't mind working (as much as having to go to work), and I don't feel involved with television or community gossip or drama. Or at least those are the things my family members seem to be affected by that I'm not. It's pretty debilitating. And I'm not sure if this is normal or if it's some kind of anxiety disorder on top of that, but just writing this makes me worry that people will judge me harshly. And what I've described has been a consistent part of my life since I can remember, though leaving the planned comfort of my life-long school schedule after high school has made the fits much more frequent.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 6:59 pm

There is also anxiety disorder. I wonder what labels those people get when they have every AS symptom but lack social issues? Anxiety? OCD? dyspraxia? Sensory Processing Disorder? All of those? But hey they all need a label if there are impairments. You could also be introverted. There are plenty of introverted NTs out there and they can relate to autism in ways such as feel drained and needing to be alone after being out with people or getting worn out when they have been out of the house all day. I suspect my mom may be introverted since she always has to relax after being out all day and she comes home from work and needs to be alone. Introvert isn't a disability of course. It's a personality.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2012, 7:03 pm

"Did anyone here have doubts about their syndromes or conditions before (or possibly after) being diagnosed?"
Definitely; not only do I have doubts about my condition, but I'm genuinely paranoid of 'self-diagnosis' and would sooner throw the whole thought of an ASD out the window, before diagnosing myself. Luckily, I didn't have to deal with these demons for long because within a few months, I was able to get an assessment (not hearing the results until later this week). Anyway, based on everything you've written, It'd be a shame if you never sought an assessment, especially since you said the problem is debilitating which is an oft overlooked criteria for diagnosis.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Dec 2012, 7:06 pm

5318008 wrote:
Sorry for the misplacement of the thread, it wasn't intentional. :( And thank you for moving it.
No problem - and you're welcome! :wink:

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2012, 7:35 pm

Thank you for the responses.

League_Girl: I also wonder what people are diagnosed with if they are suffering but don't quite fit into an existing label. I looked up Sensory Processing Disorder, and I don't relate to the lack of focus ADD part, or difficulties in school, but my senses seem to be enhanced except for sight haha. I'm oblivious to all things visual. Superficially, OCD seemed to be irrational or fear-related obsessions, correct? Mine tend to be subject related. For example, when I was a child, one obsession was astrology :oops: . I would spend all of my time reading books, making charts, and when not able to do that I would talk to people about it or spend all of my time connecting things or people's tendencies to planet placement in the varying houses in my head. I have to look up Dyspraxia, thank you for the new suggestion. And I would seriously consider that perhaps this all stems from anxiety triggered by autistic tendencies. Or would that be true for those with Autism as well? And I'm a pretty intense introvert, so I think I understand how she feels haha. I see friends at most maybe five times a year (a couple birthdays and maybe a holiday or two). But I don't mind spending time with my boyfriend. We have a consistent schedule and I often do the monologue thing on my current interest, which usually lasts about 6 months to a year. That part makes me think AS, but when I need to act friendly and social I think I'm successful at it, which makes me question if that's the actual source. I hope this is useful and I'm not just rambling.

windtreeman: It's comforting to know that others have doubts. I wondered if everyone just suddenly thought "that's me!" when they saw the criteria for a diagnosis. But you make a great point-- even if someone questions it, if it's interfering with their goals and quality of life then I suppose everyone should seek an experienced analysis. Thank you for reminding me of this and I hope it's of help to any other confused people who stumble across this post. I genuinely hope your results lead you in a direction of growth, whatever they may be!

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 7:55 pm

"Aspergers Disorder" was just the closest label they had for what was wrong in my head.

If you want 100% accuracy, you're not going to get it.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 9:10 pm

I've never been diagnosed. About the closest to that was someone who works with autistic kids on a daily basis asking me if I've been diagnosed with autism after about 15 minutes of conversation. He must have seen enough possible signs to make him curious.

In any event, some days I think it is very likely that I have Asperger's. Other days I don't think it is likely at all. I'm not particularly interested in getting an official diagnosis.