Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

neecerie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

I dunno about 'obsessed' but I have a whole cabinet of tea.

It is a constant battle not to buy more until I drink some of the stockpile up. I fail at this often.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2012, 3:23 pm

I can not live without green tea. Since 1996, I drink a few to several cups every day. Coffee is too acidic with way too much caffeine for me. Irritates my stomach to no end and makes my head feel like its going to pop off. Lol Chamomile tea is awesome for relaxing too.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 3:35 pm

neecerie wrote:
It is a constant battle not to buy more until I drink some of the stockpile up. I fail at this often.

Same here! Glad I'm not the only one.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

Moondust wrote:
I once splurged and made my tea with mineral water. The difference is amazing. Unfortunately, because I can't afford it. Anyone tried with filtered tap water? Is there a difference with unfiltered tap water?

I've never tried mineral water, but I get good results with a charcoal filter (such as Brita).

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

Great, thanks!! I have a Brita filter for my cat's drinking water, so from now I'll use that water for my teas.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm

It is one of the things I enjoy, though I am not sure it counts as an obsession.

Vyacheslav
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 3:25 am

Used to drink tea regularly a few years back. I especially enjoyed green teas and oolongs. Favorites for morning were sencha or genmaicha. The sencha has such a nice little tang like the ocean air. I really enjoyed the taste of the toasted rice in genmaicha, very comforting. In the afternoon my favorite was lung ching, also called dragonwell, something about it is special, the first time I tried it I was all happy and giggly for about half an hour. Looseleaf is the way to go, teabag tea is usually inferior quality. Also good filtered water is essential and the water should not be too hot for steeping green teas, definitely well below boiling temperatures.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 12:55 pm

No, but my family are, and it gets on my nerves. If they run out of milk and something happens where they can't get any more for a day or even a few hours, they go beserk and act like humans can only survive on tea and nothing else in the world. I think tea has the same addiction as alcohol can have.

Oh and I don't drink tea.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 2:05 pm

Vyacheslav wrote:
the water should not be too hot for steeping green teas, definitely well below boiling temperatures.

So the water shouldn't boil at all or should be left to cool for a couple minutes?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

Yes I'm another one who drinks it like water. Jasmine green tea is my favourite right now, I also like mint and earl grey tea with milk and sugar. I drink a couple pots full a day.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 2:22 pm

Moondust wrote:
Vyacheslav wrote:
the water should not be too hot for steeping green teas, definitely well below boiling temperatures.

So the water shouldn't boil at all or should be left to cool for a couple minutes?

I don't think it matters, just what's easiest. You want the temp to be about 180 degrees F, and most green teas only steep for about two to three minutes.

Vyacheslav
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:21 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Moondust wrote:
Vyacheslav wrote:

I don't think it matters, just what's easiest. You want the temp to be about 180 degrees F, and most green teas only steep for about two to three minutes.

I agree, I would heat water till I started to see little bubbles form on bottom of pot and then take off heat for about half a minute then steep. Depending on type, I would steep for 1-2 minutes for sencha and genmaicha and 3-4 minutes for lung ching.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2 wrote:
I've just started getting bulk tea and I've been going on about it for a month or two now. I've got Chun Mee Green, Early Grey, Rooibos, Chamomile, and a *large* list of items like orange peel and cloves and lavender and jasmine and hibiscus and so on to mix with them to get different flavors, and some with medicinal value (I *swear* by elderflower tea for congestion). I'm buying different kinds by the pound and I'm about to get an entire cabinet to store all the different tins and containers I have because there are so many. making it and drinking it and researching the history and botany and ceremony behind the different kinds is rapidly becoming a central part of my day and a very soothing ritual.

I love tea. It's not an obsession but more like a silent passion.

Try the green tea and white tea blend with blueberry and grapefruit.... It's heaven in a cup.

dbltall
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2012, 2:36 pm

I'm very picky about my tea - I have a ritual about it. I make it in a brown earthenware pot (which is chipped, and I want to find another one exactly like it but haven't been able to so far) then pour it into another teapot when it's done steeping (4 minutes for Lapsang Souchong, 5 for Assam) and the water has to be absolutely boiling, since it's black tea. I agree that green tea should have less than boiling water. For green tea I like Dragonwell or Jasmine Pearl.

Has anyone used an electric kettle for boiling the water? Does it get the water just as boiling as a kettle on the stove?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 2:51 pm

dbltall wrote:
Has anyone used an electric kettle for boiling the water? Does it get the water just as boiling as a kettle on the stove?

Water boils at boiling point temperature. Are you expecting it to be different depending on the heat source? :?

The only factors that change the temperature at which water boils is the atmospheric pressure and how pure the water is. Water boils at a lower temperature at higher altitudes. Water with dissolved impurities also boils at higher temperature.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 3:14 pm

Me me me!! !