IChris
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2012, 8:30 pm

Marybird wrote:
IChris wrote:
Mirror21 wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
according to diagnostics autistic thinking is "preoccupation with inner thoughts, daydreams, fantasies, private logic; egocentric, subjective thinking lacking objectivity and connection with external reality."

. . . interesting.

'Autistic thinking' is defined as a defence mechanism in terms of diagnostic and involves, as Feralucce write, day dreaming as a mean to disconnect from the stressors in the world around. It is understood as a normal primitive defence mechanism which all kind of people may turn to, but which is most common in kids.

Why would anyone come to the conclusion that preoccupation with inner thoughts, daydreams, fantasies, private logic; egocentric, subjective thinking lacking objectivity and connection with external reality is simply no more than a means to disconnect from the stressors in the world around them or a primitive defence mechanism.
I think we have preoccupation with inner thoughts, daydreams, fantasies, private logic; egocentric, subjective thinking lacking objectivity and connection with external reality because our brains are wired to think that way and we enjoy thinking that way and that is all there is to it.

It is not as simple as it may sounds like but is de facto on another level than today's complex cognitive science (which despite of its complexity does not need to be a more correct answer); it resemble the era it was invented with the philosophical and psychological theories in focus then.

I'm not an internalist and do not believe that the brain and its wiring alone is the cause of 'autistic thinking'. Field independence/low central coherence is a prerequisite for 'autistic thinking' and studies have shown that the state of central coherence is dependent on culture. Likewise is language (on the grammar level) an important factor in 'autistic thinking' since it would control when a human choose to use it or not, and 'autistic thinking' may in some culture not be a defence mechanism but a living mechanism as a consequence of this. From this perspective the wiring of the brain has only a big influence when culture and language can't explain the cause; which for the indo-european languages is at least the case.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 12:41 am

IChris wrote:
Marybird wrote:
IChris wrote:
Mirror21 wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
according to diagnostics autistic thinking is "preoccupation with inner thoughts, daydreams, fantasies, private logic; egocentric, subjective thinking lacking objectivity and connection with external reality."

. . . interesting.

'Autistic thinking' is defined as a defence mechanism in terms of diagnostic and involves, as Feralucce write, day dreaming as a mean to disconnect from the stressors in the world around. It is understood as a normal primitive defence mechanism which all kind of people may turn to, but which is most common in kids.

Why would anyone come to the conclusion that preoccupation with inner thoughts, daydreams, fantasies, private logic; egocentric, subjective thinking lacking objectivity and connection with external reality is simply no more than a means to disconnect from the stressors in the world around them or a primitive defence mechanism.
I think we have preoccupation with inner thoughts, daydreams, fantasies, private logic; egocentric, subjective thinking lacking objectivity and connection with external reality because our brains are wired to think that way and we enjoy thinking that way and that is all there is to it.

It is not as simple as it may sounds like but is de facto on another level than today's complex cognitive science (which despite of its complexity does not need to be a more correct answer); it resemble the era it was invented with the philosophical and psychological theories in focus then.

I'm not an internalist and do not believe that the brain and its wiring alone is the cause of 'autistic thinking'. Field independence/low central coherence is a prerequisite for 'autistic thinking' and studies have shown that the state of central coherence is dependent on culture. Likewise is language (on the grammar level) an important factor in 'autistic thinking' since it would control when a human choose to use it or not, and 'autistic thinking' may in some culture not be a defence mechanism but a living mechanism as a consequence of this. From this perspective the wiring of the brain has only a big influence when culture and language can't explain the cause; which for the indo-european languages is at least the case.

My thinking is not a defence mechanism or a means to disconnect from the stressors in the world around me. I have autistic thinking. It's the way I think. However, the fact that I am often in my own inner world of thoughts lacking objectivity and connection with external reality may be why I don't connect well to the world around me. I don't see what culture has to do with it, except maybe it is more accepted in some cultures.

IChris
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2012, 6:56 am

Marybird wrote:
My thinking is not a defence mechanism or a means to disconnect from the stressors in the world around me. I have autistic thinking. It's the way I think. However, the fact that I am often in my own inner world of thoughts lacking objectivity and connection with external reality may be why I don't connect well to the world around me. I don't see what culture has to do with it, except maybe it is more accepted in some cultures.

Neither is mine, but one of my defence mechanism is what is termed 'autistic thinking'. The way I think is best described through the term 'Autistic intelligence'; a term defined by Hans Asperger.