Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Questioning
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2012, 5:17 pm

I have to tell you that I dont' like public school much. Two years ago, they measured my child for gifted and then did another test and it measured really low. I'm not trusting either score. Why can't they just say that we have an average child who has pervasive developmental disorder? Why all the odd scoring????????????????????????????????

Any--way, so now they have him clocked as "Other Health Impaired" so that he gets the help he needs. His reading is very very poor. Currently, my husband and I are trying to make up for "the lost years" when we allowed my son to watch too much television. I am currently reading my son "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court." I do try and help him to read and I even did an experiement with sounds and sensory integration with the help of the kitchen, but I dont' know if it did any good.

His reading is really messed up. He can ONLY sight-read. I learned to read at age 3 and my daughter learned to read at age 2. But, I do have severe dyscalculia and I still cannot do sixth grade fractions, so I guess that my son and I are even. I just wonder though, I try to help my son with his words by trying to show him to count the letters and think of the sounds as a grouping and try to sound out the word but he can't do that--He mishears most words. Auditory Processing Disorder???

Anyway, the school has improved a bit but I still don't know how much they will help us.

We have an EAP meeting on Monday.

I just wonder if he will be in self contained special education or if they will do like they did me and do REsource Room. I was LD all the way through college, up to my senior year at Ole Miss.

He does the rocking bit and he doesn't like loud noise, but he's fairly flexible and he tries very hard to do the right thing, he just gets caught up in patterns and although he percieves patterns well and remembers well, he just can't PROCESS.

I'm not real happy with the school. In this case, I am glad he has the church we go to because they let them do crafts and the hands on loosens his mind up and gives him creativity, which makes his cognitivie function a boost.

We will see Monday what happens.